ABBA - The Albums (9-CD Box Set) - new in November 2008!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone heard the mastering on this new box set?

The set was apparently mastered by Henrik Jonsson. I don't know the guy, but I think he also did some of the deluxe editions of the individual albums. Haven't heard any of them. How do they sound? Are they totally butchered or at least somewhat decent?

Here's a link:
    http://www.abbasite.com/news/index.php?ret=/news/index.php&id=1654&flash=yes

And here's a pciture of the set:

Attached Files:

2. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Henrik Jonsson also remastered the CSR set from a few years ago. The mastering is probably the same but I don't know for sure.

3. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, I think it is the same mastering.

Did a little research on this forum, and it seems like his mastering is quite loud/compressed. Probably nothing I would enjoy.

4. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

I didn't care for the mastering on the Complete Studio Recordings box at all. Way too loud and aggressive sounding. A shame, too, because my understanding is that they did use all original master tapes.

If this new release is just a reissue of the same mastering, I will definitely pass.

It's frustrating how difficult it is to get decent sounding Abba on CD. Since the much-touted old WG and Atlantic pressings are practically impossible to find, my compromise has been the old Polydor CDs. I'm sure these use lower generation tapes, but the mastering is inoffensive. I also tried EQing the "Gold" sets and "Thank You For The Music" box to tame the high end, but could never get it to sound right.

5. MrMudPuppy

MrMudPuppy Forum Resident

Yes, inquiring minds want to know. Does anyone own this? Any comments on the mastering?

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I never knew ABBA had 9 albums....

I didn't think they were together that long.....

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

8. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

SHM=Super High Material

No mapping involved.

9. ABBAFANUSA

ABBAFANUSA Forum Resident

They only had 8 studio albums. The 9th is a bonus disc of one off singles, B-sides & Swedish songs.

They also released 1 Spanish language album & 3 "Hits" albums during their time together. A LIVE album was also issued in 1986.

These discs are the same as what's found on 'The Complete Studio Recordings' Box Set, remastered from the original tapes.

10. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

11. HGN2001

Well at least I got the "Super High" part, so that's something, right?

:)

Harry

12. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Good compromise - Polydor continued using the old WG masterings right up to 1997 so they represent a cheap way of hearing them if you are not a hardcore collector...

13. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

Here are the wave forms of "Super Trouper" from the 2008 version (top) compared to the 2005 version (bottom). It would indeed appear that the original dynamics are much better preserved on the new 2008 remaster.

[​IMG]

14. MrMudPuppy

Wow. Thanks for posting the waveforms.

15. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

*picking up jaw off the floor*

I am pleasantly surprised, might just open up the wallet once more. The waveforms aside, how does it sound?

16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Wow!

Can you post a sample?

17. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Extremely surprising! :bigeek:

18. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

It does make a change to see the levels reduced on a more recent master

Encouraging.

19. MrMudPuppy

So I did a little snooping. Mastering Engineer Henrik Jonnson works for/at Masters of Audio (http://www.mastersofaudio.se) and his e-mail address (published on the site) is: [email protected].

Anyone care to invite him to this site where we can discuss the mastering differences associated with the latest ABBA box?

20. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I saw a used Polydor Abba CD today with some sort of Spanish title. What is that ? Spanish language redubs of their "hits" ?

21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Go right ahead! It was your idea :)

The price seems very reasonable for 9 CD's. I saw it for $45 earlier today on a European on-line store, IIRC it was Amazon.uk.

22. HGN2001

ABBA released several different iterations of their songs in Spanish, but generally they all contain the same songs.

I believe the first one was called GRACIAS POR LA MUSICA.

At around the time of GOLD, they had a Spanish counterpart called ORO.

In their remastered albums and box sets, these tracks tend to be included as bonus tracks on the albums with their English counterparts.

Most recently, a compilation called EXITOS ETERNOS was released as Universal continues to churn the catalog.

Harry

23. It's funny that this thread comes up now because I was just about to ask an ABBA question. Went to a record store (WAX TRAX) in Denver awhile back while on business. Mistake was to take my wife. As I was looking through some Beatles, I happened to look up and saw my wife pilling up albums. Well, I think I need to check this out so I wondered over and to my surprise (or maybe not), she was stacking up ABBA albums. I cried out (a little to loud maybe)...ABBA, are you kidding me? The store manager starting laughing. I then said...You need to save some for other customers. Again the manager was laughing, this time out loud.

Well, I ended up buying them anyway, knowing good and well she would never listen to them. Just like the 5 or 6 ASIA albums she got last time we went to a record store that she never listened to.

My question, I don't think I have ever heard an ABBA song. Where/what LP should I start with (I think she got them all). I don't want to have to listen to all of them to find the best one. Besides, I don't even know if I like them...LOL

Thanks
    Randy

24. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I just ordered The Albums on Amazon.co.uk. After VAT, the price was only US $38.00!

The Amazon.com (US) price is $71.99. ?!#?!@!?

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Unless you live on a desert island, I am sure that you have heard an Abba song, probably many of them. Start with a Greatest Hits album, if you have one. If not, then Voulez Vous, Arrival and "The Album" represent their commercial peak, so you might as well start with one of those. I don't find one particularly stronger than the others -- for me, it just depends on whether I enjoy the individual tracks. They were never an album concept band (unless you count their last release "The Visitors").

By the way, I am also very interested in whether the new issues are an improvement over the Polydors. I can't imagine that they are, but let's hear some comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.