Varèse Vintage "From Genesis To Revelation" - anybody heard this yet?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul K, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member Thread Starter

How is it?
    And just a question...(or two)
    What is the best sounding version of the album?

Steve doesn't like the DCC much...I have never quite understood why...(I understand it might be musical...but it could also be a technical disappointment that he remembers...I don't know...be nice if he chimed in...but I figure he's busy with the Moondance stuff today...)

So what gives everybody?

(let's keep this discussion to what the core LP sounds like...I know there are bonus discs but that's stuff from the box set true?)

2. Paul K

Bump!

3. Paul K

Oh bump!

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Steve doesn't like his DCC version because he doesn't like the tapes he had to work with. I don't recall if he's ever commented on the music itself, but I know that's not why he doesn't like the DCC version.

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Do the "real" tapes even exist for this anymore, or are they just in such bad shape that even SH couldn't make them sound good?

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

They do exist as far as I can tell from Steve's posts but Jonathan King won't lend the tapes to anyone. I think everyone receives the same dub to work from.

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

And it didn't sell well. He's called it a turkey many times. :)

8. Paul K

So what used the original tapes? The original UK press?

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, that really poor cover art they used didn't help.

10. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member

This version on Varèse Vintage is very close to the old West German (for the USA) CD pressing called And The Word Was from circa 1987. It sounds pretty good, IMHO. I think this version and the EDSEL Records pressing on CD from the UK are among my favorite versions on CD (The Edsel one has the bonus tracks on a second CD and the original artwork, too). Note that the VV 2008 reissue is only 17-tracks (the complete album with the addition of the first two singles), it does not include the other rare cuts that are on the EDSEL version.

Dave

11. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I have a hard time hearing vast differences in any of the versions I've own - including Steve's. The one I settled with is the one with the funky painting cover (same label as the Zombies Odessey & Oracle funky painting cover version - the name of which escapes me).

The main issue I had with the W. German London CD is that the cues for the Conqueror
    and In Hiding are in the wrong places so it's not true to the original album.

The bonus track issue can be confusing but even the version of "Image Blown Out" that is on the Edsel (and the Disky) issue is different than the Archive boxed set version. Most of the rest of the bonus tracks are singles and now pretty much standard as part of whatever package is released.

12. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I would think so. We are talking about a run of 500 LPs. Can't imagine them bothering to do a dub for that. Let's remember, Genesis was a high school garage band at that time.

13. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

That's always been an expensive disc. I'm told it's not that great.

The US edition has, I think, some added echo. It's OK.

My favorite is 'Rock Roots - Genesis, a reissue LP from Decca's great series in the 80's. It's cut a bit low, but has the bonus 45 mixes of Silent Sun and it's B. Not too bad. Undoubtedly not from the DAT that Steve had for the CD, but still probably a made up copy tape not a master. Jonathan King cover notes.

I've got the DCC CD, and really.. it's about as good as it gets. Not a great recording.

14. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

The one I kept as my prefered version is the one called Where the Sour Turns to Sweet on Rock Machine. It sounds pretty much the same as the London CD but the cues are correct. I can't tell for sure but I think some of the early UK CDs (like the London and Rock Machine CDs) do use the master tape. If not then they are surprisingly free of hiss.

I also have the original US stereo vinyl and that sounds really good. My copy is not perfect and it still sounds good. The Rock Roots LP is okay but I wasn't knocked out by the quality of vinyl. Despite having a near mint copy I just couldn't get much from it.

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Dammit Mark! I've said it before but every time you post something like that it winds up costing me $12.

:wave:

16. Raf

Raf Senior Member

17. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

:laugh:

18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

19. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Yes, please. Data on Where the Sour Turns to Sweet with the weird cover would be especially welcome. Internet searches for this turn up CD releases with the same title and cover but with different labels (Rock Machine, London, Griffin, etc.). Could be sloppy labeling, but who knows?

20. Paul K

I just listened to a Canadian LP pressing of this record...stamped labels...no banding between songs...

Anybody know what the deal with this is? it has a ZAL as the prefix for the stamped matrix.as far as I remember 'cause I'm at work now!...(no not forum member!)

21. Raf

Raf Senior Member

These are the EAC peak levels someone in another forum posted for what he says is the Rock Machine CD. I have no way of knowing if he's telling the truth.

Can someone with the Rock Machine CD verify if these numbers are correct? Thanks. :wave:

22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Forgot about this. Very useful as a summary of the various issues. I'll post EAC readings for the Rock Machine CD if no one else gets to it before the evening... or I'll confirm what's reported already.

As if you needed to be pushed into buying CDs. :D

In case you need an excuse to check out the London CD (it'll cost you less than $10 so don't complain):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000E5I4/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I do like the Rock Machine CD but honestly I hear so little difference amoung the first few early editions that I just picked one. I do think the Rock Machine may be from the original tapes but who knows?

23. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I find the same thing, actually. I think the London, DCC, Rock Machine and Disky all sound perfectly acceptable — even interchangeable if you're not too fussy.

But please do check the numbers for the Rock Machine. :winkgrin:

At the very least, the Rock Machine CD appears to be the first disc to use the digital transfer that has been used in all subsequent reissues.

24. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Varese's description for this new reissue says "Mastered from original source materials." Hmm... not quite the same thing as "From the original master tapes", but... still intriguing.

25. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

These EAC readings for the Rock Machine (post above) are correct:

01 - The Silent Sun
    86.1 %

02 - That's Me
    77.7 %

03 - Where The Sour Turns To Sweet
    67.3 %

04 - In The Beginning
    86.5 %

05 - Fireside Song