New audio format: Sony's Blu-spec CD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Sam, The translation is so bad that it is hard to figure out what they are saying. I think they will apply bluray disc manufacturing techniques to the standard redbook cd in the hope of having tighter control of the cd manufacturing specifications.

3. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

Got a good marketing hook? Great, give it a nice thick slather across some related bits of your consumer electronics and prepare to rake in the cash. With MD and SACD formats not exactly dominating the audio masses, Sony's back with a new format by the name Blu-spec CD. It takes advantage of (you guessed it) Sony's Blu-ray Disc technology to press new high-quality discs while somehow maintaining compatibility with regular ol' red-laser CD players. How? No idea, really -- it's some kind of secret, proprietary Sony magic hidden deep inside of Google's Japanese-to-English language translator. Perhaps an English press release will be issued later in the day. It does seem that Sony will kick out about 60 Blu-spec CD classics (Miles Davis' Kind of Blue for example) in December ranging in prices from ¥2,500 (about $25) to ¥4,200 ($42). Ouch.

Sony to launch new Blu-spec CD format 8:34AM, Wednesday 5th November 2008

Sony is once again launching a new disc format, this time dubbed Blu-spec CD.
    Doubtless buoyed by the success of Blu-ray in the high-def format war, Sony looks set to adopt the technology for audio CDs.

The company has found a way of burning discs using Blu Laser Diode technology whilst maintaining compatibility with existing CD drives.

A roughly translated Japanese press release about the new technology claims the new CD cutting machines "eliminate vibration", thus improving the quality of the laser beam and bringing sound quality closer to that of the master tape.

The company claims it will have 60 titles ready for launch on Christmas Eve, including albums from Miles Davis and ELO. Sony says the Blu-spec CDs will cost between £16-£27, although there's no mention of when or if the technology will be released in Europe.

It's also unclear whether the new format will have any computing applications.

Barry Collins

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

5. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

This bit looks familiar... Hybrid SACD redux?

6. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Oh, great. Another format that will die-a-quick-and-silent-death.

Hmm. I thought Sony said that Compact Disk was "Perfect Sound Forever".

7. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

yes.

this is "Perfecter Sound Foreverver"

8. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

9. art

art Senior Member

I noticed Aerosmith's Rocks is coming out on Blu-spec in late December (24).

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Sony's first Blu-Ray players did not play CDs. Is that still the case? So Blu-spec CD is Sony's answer to playing CDs on a Blu-Ray player? Other Blu-Ray players can play standard CDs. How about it Sony?

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

It was only that first Sony model that had that limitation.

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Here we go again!

If I understand correctly, Sony is coming out with a new format?
    Well after the demise of SACD, which is a very very sad thing, I couldn't care less.

Since last week I am back to vinyl and I couldn't be more happier.

13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I believe it was actually Technics that first used that tag line.

14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

:agree:

The usual albums on a new format... "....eddie are you kidding...."

15. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Reading a bit more into this and if I am thinking correctly this is not a new high rez format but another re-hash of good Ole Red Book :confused:

The idea here is to apply a blue laser (as used with Blu-ray Disc) instead of a conventional infra-red laser to cut a more precise CD master with more perfect and accurate pits?

Simon :)

16. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Maybe they can release all of the stuff that never made it to SACD on this format.

Or maybe they'll half-a$$ market it and then let it die a slow death by not releasing any software. Idiots.

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

More perfect!!

18. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Sony’s Blu-Spec CD is no Blu-Ray

http://www.slashgear.com/sonys-blu-spec-cd-is-no-blu-ray-0521496/

19. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I'll stick with redbook CDs and hybrid SACDs, thanks... :sigh:

20. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

What I understand from the original (horribly translated) article is basically that they are doing a sort of what they did with SBM when they developed DSD: milking the now well-known name.

Apparently, they are using the same pressing technology that they use for Blu-Ray to press CDs. This makes cleaner pits and does away with other problems due to the fact that cooling fan vibration has been solved in this technology.

To top it off, they go for their own version of SHM-CD using a special type of carbonate (they must be feeling the pain of not having jumped into the SHM-CD bandwagon in Japan).

Finally, the titles they are going to launch first seems (like Rachel already pointed out) a list of their usual suspects.

So, we are basically talking about better made pits (the result of the new pressing technology) and a more transparent carbonate.

21. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

After SACD (which there were reports was about to get a big push)You've sucked me in for the last time, Sony

22. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Smells like snake oil to me.

23. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

This is ridiculous and especially coming from Sony. Aren't they the ones famous for the spyware DRM loaded CD's? No thanks on some new format from them.

<< Sticking to DRM free Vinyl records :)

24. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I will never for the life of me understand why Sony is such a format-obsessed company. I know that licensing the technology is lucrative, but many of their formats have failed, and I'm sure it has cost them. They hype it up and then cut the cord. This sounds like an interesting product perhaps, but my feeling is that the time for new formats of any kind is over.

Dan

25. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Smells like arm"pits" to me!

Didn't Sony essentially kill off DVDA by ripping off the technology and changing the process just enough to get a new patent and called it SACD?

I prefer DVDA myself.

But I guess we won't really know until we hear it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.