Tangerine Dream cd reissues (1995?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr123paul, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr123paul

mr123paul Member Thread Starter

I know that TD were mentioned in the "Artists/Bands Who Are Largely Ignored Or Overlooked Here" thread, so I thought that I'd pick up on that...

I bought a few of their records in the mid '70s - I very much enjoy their music from the lp 'Rubycon' through to 'Encore', then I mostly lost interest, but some of that vinyl is ... well, er..er..er..very used, let's say, some 30 years later - so, as I wanted to revisit some of those lps, I have bought a couple of cds of theirs recently.

I bought 'Ricochet' and 'Stratosfear' - these are the 'definitive edition' issues from (as far as I can make out from the packaging) 1995! They're on the Virgin label & were made in Holland. It also states on the back of the package that these are "High Definition Remastering - SBM Super Bit Mapping". Now, I'm not really sure what that means exactly, but I do think that they sound pretty damn' fine! - on my hi-fi & also on my walkman & sennheiser headphones.

Anybody know what the process of Super Bit Mapping is or have any comments? Are these really the 'definitive edition'? Does anybody prefer other cd alternatives for TD? Any views on TD & their music?

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm actually rather fond of the work Simon Heyworth has done over the years, so I vote for the 95 remasters for the Virgin titles. Others shall surely disagree, though. The Ohr titles have been reissued many times over the years, and the board consensus seems to be in favor of the US Relativity releases from the mid-80s. (which I only wish I had)

As far as their musc goes, I adore the first five albums. I only kinda like 'Rubicon' and 'Ricochet' and grudgingly allow 'Stratosfear' and 'Encore' into my library. Everything from 'Sorcerer' on just leaves me pretty cold.

3. mr123paul

That's interesting - I've not heard of or heard those US reissues.

Like you, I prefer their earlier (or would Rubycon - Encore be their mid-period?) stuff & just lost interest after Encore. These cds do sound great, imo.

4. mr123paul

Actually, they're playing in London this weekend & tickets are still available!! I may go have a look/listen if tickets are still around on Friday. Mind you...aren't they kinda undistinguishes new-agey noodling these days? Or am I being a little harsh in that description?

5. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

Super Bit Mapping is a Sony technology designed to enhance the capabilities of regular redbook CD. There is a newer version called SBM Direct that was designed with the advent of DSD. Basically, the aim is to get more of the higher resolution sound onto the CD.

The '95 remasters are well regarded, I have a couple and they sound fine IMHO. Don't think it's worth seeking out original Virgin pressings (have several of those and nothing to write home about, the vinyl is better).

Check out "Logos Live" for a well-recorded live album (London '82). I like "Green Desert" as well, which appeared in the mid-80's but was originally recorded in early '70's. Very "cosmic" although I understand some TD fans hate this album! Great drumming from Chris Franke IMHO.

TD have specific eras, I don't like anything they've done since the "Jive years" (mid/late '80s).

Cheers :)

6. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi,

This thread may help a bit;
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=137682

I have many 1995 SBM's, in every case I preferred the original CD's. The reason is all the SBM's I have appear to have been Digitally Compressed during mastering. Not horribly like most modern masterings but Digitally Compressed nonetheless. Tangerine Dream's sound is electronic enough but when digitally manipulated the sound becomes very cold and digital. Also on some of the 1995's like Green Desert and Exit sound like they have had NR applied. I do not think the 1995's are bad just that the originals are a whole lot better.

Luckily the original Tangerine Dream masterings for the most part sound great and are generally inexpensive. Please keep in mind that the US and European issues have different masterings. The thread link I posted above has info on a couple of albums, but I stopped posting due to what I perceive to be a lack of interest.

Rick

7. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

Just for clarity, Simon Heyworth remastered the Virgin catalogue using SBM. He didn't do anything with the Jive/Electro years or the early '70s output.

I can't really recall finding the couple of SBM's I have (Cyclone and Logos) to be harsh sounding but that's me, I may have another listen with my current headphone set-up.

Most of my TD collection is vinyl based thankfully - in the case of "Poland", the CD I have is missing some of the double LP.

Cheers :)

8. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi,

Do not have the DE/SBM's you referenced. I have White Eagle, Hyberborea, Stratosfear, and Exit. Not sure if they are SBM's but I also have, the 1996/2000's of Green Desert and LeParc, and the 2003 of Poland.

Although they are not bad I greatly prefer the non-remastered's better. As for Poland,IIRC the original 2 Disc CD on Relativity is the only complete version. So it's essential, luckily it sounds great.

9. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I'm one of them. Didn't like it at all. It was doctored before being released in 1986, as explained here:

http://voices-in-the-net.de/greendes.htm

10. mr123paul

thanks for the links ricks - it seems that there are at least half a dozen td fans somewhere on this forum ;-) well, a few more than 2 or three, perhaps. i'm willing to read all / any info that people may want to share about them

11. mr123paul

anybody have the bootleg box sets? any thoughts?

i picked up vol 1 for £5 earlier this year & absolutely love it - these are recordings made by fans as bootlegs in the 70s, but some of them are gems (sheffield & the albert hall, particular favourites of mine)

12. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

The bootleg series is just a "best of" selection from a much larger fan-project though. (note: I'm not sanctioning bootlegs here; the project was permitted by the band under the conditions that the recordings never be sold, and that the band had the right to commercially release the recordings themselves if they chose to, which they obviously did).

13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I guess I have some forum favored CD titles of TD.:) I have the first 4 CD's on US Relativity sans Zeit, which I have on Jive. Then the Green Desert on Relativity as well. I have Thief on vinyl.

Anthony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.