Ray Charles: The Difference Between Gold & Aluminum

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ED in NY, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member Thread Starter

Hi Steve ! I think we may have covered this on the original board briefly, but cannot recall the outcome. I wanted to know if The 3 Ray Charles CD's that made it to Gold pressings for DCC sound any different than their DCC Aluminum versions. Also, I was curious as to why "Genius + Soul = Jazz" never made it to a Gold pressing. Thanks much !

Best - ED

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hi Ed,

They are totally different, the Gold and Silver versions. Different equipment, different mastering technique, different everything.

I like the Gold versions, they were all done with tubes for that yummy sound I like.

"Genius + Soul = Jazz" never made it to Gold, because the tape has too much distortion, and I couldn't find the bonus tracks that were recorded for that album, but left off. So, we passed!

3. ED in NY

Thanks Steve ! I've had the silver CD's for some time now however, I found all 3 Gold Cd's still sealed for $15ea. today and that's too good of a deal to pass up, so I bought them all ! I'm looking forward to listening to them this weekend.

As for Genius + Soul + Jazz, it's too bad the tapes were too distorted. I have the Sandstone / DCC CD you did and really love it ! I don't really have any interest in checking out the Rhino 2fer though but would be curious if anyone has heard it and has 2 cents to offer about it.

Thanks Again !

Best - ED

4. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

Ed,

There weren't by chance any extra copies of any of these were there?? Just hoping! Keep us posted on the difference between the two. I have the aluminum "World of Ray Charles" set, but I have only been able to find "Ingredients in a Recipe for Soul" on Gold CD.

Tony (in AR)

5. ED in NY

Hi Tony, only one copy of each. If there were more I most likely would have scooped 'em up and offered at cost to the board as I'm sure I wasn't the only one looking for these titles. After I "absorb" these over the weekend, I'll be sure to post some feedback on them on Monday.

Best - ED

6. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

Thanks!

It was worth a shot;)

I will be very interested in your thoughts, so let us know...

Take care,

Tony

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Another reason that "Ingredients In A Recipe For Soul" sounds different on the Gold version than the silver, other than my different mastering style, is that some of the songs are different mix versions.

That album was recorded in 1963 at Capitol in New York, and Capitol did a stereo two-track "reduction" of all the songs for ABC-Paramount. I guess after listening to a test cut of the stereo album, SOMEONE wasn't happy with the reductions, and so the edited session reels were remixed at Bell Sound. These dead sounding remixed versions (that really suck IMO) are the ones that appeared on the original stereo ABC-Paramount LP, all later stereo LP recuts and the silver DCC CD version.

When it was time to do the Gold CD version, Ray and I discovered that the "rejected" mixes still existed. Geez, they sounded better. I can't imagine why anyone would have rejected them as no good. I do know that Bell Sound sought out any way to increase billing out of their client ABC-Paramount. If something on ABC was recorded at a studio other than Bell Sound, they must have sulked something awful, I guess.

Anyway, try and find the DCC Gold version of "Ingredients" if you can!

:)

8. ED in NY

For any and all that are interested, Griffco Records has the DCC Gold CD's "Ingredients" & "Greatest C & W Hits" in stock at $30 each. I've done business with them in the past and always had excellent service. If you're interested I recommend giving 'em a call.

Their website is www.audiophile-records.com

Happy Listening ! ED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.