LED ZEPPELIN: Definitive Collection CD Box Set Due In November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=106492

LED ZEPPELIN first took flight 40 years ago this summer. And while the song may remain the same, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham forever changed rock 'n' roll. To celebrate the band's anniversary and its immeasurable influence on popular music and culture, Atlantic Records/Rhino Entertainment will release on November 4 a limited-edition CD box set. This Japanese import contains all 10 of the quartet's albums in mini-LP replicas with artwork from the original U.K. LP sleeves.

The mini-LP replicas boxed set includes:

* Led Zeppelin (1969)
    * Led Zeppelin II (1969)
    * Led Zeppelin III (1970)
    * Led Zeppelin IV (1971)
    * Houses of the Holy (1973)
    * Physical Graffiti (1975)
    * Presence (1976)
    * The Song Remains the Same (1976)
    * In Through the Out Door (1979)
    * Coda (1982)

The sleeves included in the boxed set feature the original LP album artwork released in the U.K., including the original printing of the group's debut, which used turquoise ink on the cover for the band's name and the Atlantic Records logo. Later printings used orange ink, making the first a rare collector's item. The orange sleeve is included with the boxed set as a bonus.

"Led Zeppelin III" features the gatefold sleeve with the rotatable laminated card disc, while "Physical Graffiti", which was nominated for a Grammy Award for best album package, features the interchanging window illustrations from the original LP jacket that included four covers made up of two inners, a middle insert cover and an outer cover.

Additionally, the set includes all six covers released for "In Through the Out Door", LED ZEPPELIN's final studio album. Nominated for a Grammy Award for best album package, the "In Through the Out Door" covers feature different photos of the same bar scene taken from different perspectives.

To pre-order this limited-edition CD boxed set, go to Rhino.com.

2. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

It looks a lot like the Eagles box set, except Japanese.

3. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Any idea about the mastering?

I'm wondering how this box could be considered an improvement over the old "complete studio recordings" box set that I already have, other than the fetishist-appeal aspects such as the replica artwork in miniature.

Mastering that's superior to not only the old box set, but the earlier (and now much sought after) individual CD masterings, would be a great place for this new box set to distinguish itself sufficiently for me to consider plunking down another ~$200 for it.

Craig(VC).

4. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I love Zep, they were (and still are) my favorite band...but how many times will they release the same albums?

I guess people will buy it and they will make money. If the young people get into their music, that's real cool.

I, for one, will not even be thinking about it.

5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

According to the track list at Rhino, this set includes the older version of Song Remains the Same, not the recent reissue with additional tracks. Plus it appears to be missing some of the other non album tracks that have been issued.

Doesn't that mean it really isn't definitive?

6. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

New Zep Set...

Except for the new Box, and a different label on the first album, it looks a lot like the ones I already have... :agree: Do I need to get these again? I think not... :shake: 40? 45? 50? new remasters... It's All Too Much... :sigh:

:cheers:

7. mrbillswildride

Another New Zep Set...

Oh, I forgot, I can get six different covered of ITTOD now... whoppie... :shake:

But do I get the better Coda, the one with more tracks, no? :mad:

A full Coda (not 32 minutes), with all the now released odds and sods? :realmad:

NO... :sigh:

The Sum Remains The Same $$$

Nice new OBI's too...;)

8. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Mrbill for President!

9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

What little I've read about this money grabber is that the mastering is the SAME AS THE '94 MASTERINGS, except for The Song Remains The Same, which is the most recent remix/remaster.

In this economy? I'd rather invest in a nice financial CD than this package...

10. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

that's weird because the Japanese version has the 2007 remaster of TSRTS (but the same old 90's remasters of everything else). It looks to be the same set as the Japanese and just seems like Rhino is importing 2000 copies of that.

11. I believe this is the same as the Japanese SHM set, being discussed elsewhere. The price is better.

12. tootull

No

13. mrbillswildride

:confused:

No ?

No not the same?

or No, not better price...

:shake:

14. tootull

Rhino - different box. :)

15. tootull

:laugh:

16. mrbillswildride

Maybe they'll write:

"Do What Thou Wilt"
    and
    "So Mote Be It"

In the inner matrix of Led Zeppelin III Cds... now that I'd buy... ;)

17. tootull

Dust motes on the Zeppelin :shh:

18. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

That will be on the Definitive, ultimate edition released in five years time, on SDHQM (super-duper, high quality material) cds. And will have the expanded Coda. ;)

19. tootull

Definitive Collection Of Mini-LP Replica CDs (SHM-CD)

http://www.systemrecords.co.uk/ledz...ectionofminilpreplicacdsshmcdcd-p-976186.html

20. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

No, it's the same one. We've already compared the pics and the specs, etc., in another thread. It looks like Rhino is just importing 2000 copies of the Japanese set and reselling them here. Plus, the only difference between these and the 1993 Complete Studio Recordings box is the packaging and the inclusion of the remastered The Song Remains The Same. The rest is all from the same George Marino masters. Yes, they're on SHM-CD but the source was still old 16/44.1 digital copies of the master tapes using early 80's Sony technology.

21. tootull

OK
    Fuddle duddle

sign me :confused:

22. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

What is weird is that they claim original UK packaging yet they all have Obi's etc........I dont know why the original UK version would have OBi's, even if released in modern day Japan. They are obviously mixing the 2.

23. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

That's what I was referring to as well...

24. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Major pass on this. I've been getting the original Diamnet Atlantics slowly at used stores as of lately. They all sound mighty fine to my ears. I'll be happy enough with those.

MrBigShow likes this.
  25. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Is this going to be an improvement on the existing recordings available, or just another nifty marketing ploy?:confused:

I guess another collection for the person who just can't get enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.