BEWARE: Bad advice from the Disc Doctor re: CD cleaning!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

I just want to save everyone from making the same mistake I just made. I had a long conversation with the Disc Doctor yesterday, who makes the excellent Stereophile recommended lp cleaning system, regarding cd cleaning. He recommends using a carbon fiber record brush, such as the Audioquest model, to lightly brush surface dust off of a cd. He says this on his website and that is what he told me over the phone as well. Well, this evening I tried it and completely cheesed a copy of Underground Radio Vol 2. Obviously using a carbon fiber record brush on a cd is a ridiculously stupid idea. It put small hairline scratches all over the surface of the disc. I will be calling the Disc Doctor tomorrow to express my upset. Beware of this rotten advice and keep your carbon fiber brushes away from your cds.

2. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Thanks for the info, prix.

Is there any reason not to use strait cotton cloth? I use it to wax my car and my speakers, and it doesn't leave swirl marks, so I thought it should be fine on CDs(?) I haven't noticed scratches, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

3. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the ruined CD. Is it playable?

I have his record cleaning system, and it works great. Guess you never can tell. I generally don't clean my CDs at all, or at most use a damp, soft cloth.

Thanks for the warning.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I use a micro cleaning and polishing cloth that JVC sold years back, It's washable and does an amazing job at removing fingerprints and light smudges...Not for scratches though...Thanks for the tip!

5. AKA

AKA Senior Member

To clean CDs and DVDs (though I rarely have to), I use a little bit the same gentle solution I buy from Lens Crafters to clean my glasses and on old, white cotton t-shirt. It sounds silly, but it works well.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

If you really need to clean a CD, spray a bit of Windex on a soft cloth and rub IN A STRAIGHT LINE up and down, not in a circle! Just a few rubs should do it.

Try not to clean your discs if you don't have to.

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Plain old soap 'n water, and a clean dry cotton towel (same with DVD).

8. stever

stever Senior Member

I never touch the underside of my CDs unless I ABSOLUTELY have to. If I HAVE TO, I gently use a cotton cloth.

9. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Those carbon fibre brushes moult quite a bit - check that the "scratches" aren't in fact micro-fibres.

10. audio

They aren't.

11. audio

Not a good idea.

12. audio

Even the softest cotton cloths will leave barely noticeable hairline scratches. If you are trying a new cd cleaning method, get into the habit of inspecting the disc under various lighting conditions. You will see different things depending on the light source. Try direct sunlight, bright indirect daylight, overhead lighting, flourescent lights, and lamps. If you still don't see any scratches, you've got a safe method.

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I use soap and water for cleaning CDs as well with success.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Anyone seen what the Disc Doctor device does to a CD? I don't know if it really works to make a scratched, skipping disc playable again, but I sure don't like the way a disc looks after going through the Disc Doctor. :eek:

15. Steve Hoffman

Friends, CD's are not LP's.

I've washed about three CD's in the past 17 years. Don't clean your discs unless you have to. Just handle on the edges and keep them clean and free from goo, fingerprints and major dust; everything else they can handle just fine with no sonic compromises!

16. audio

I'm not sure I would agree with using Windex. For one, is Windex proven not to leave any residue? Is Windex safe for long term use? Is it's chemical structure hard on the plastic or label material? I'm not sure. Also, rubbing a pristine cd with just about anything, no matter how soft, will scratch on some level 99% of the time. I have tried many things and have spent many hours inspecting discs and thus far, there is only one method that works without damaging the cd surface. I'm not saying I won't find something better, but currently I am using a Fujifilm camera lens cleaning cloth that was given to me by the camera shop. I do not rub the disc. I take the edge of the cloth and without applying any pressure, I drag it lightly across the surface to remove dust. I do the same with the label side. If there are oil spots or finger prints, then I will mist the disc with a breath of air and gently wipe the spot away. Of course this is not ideal either because my breath:hurl: is probably more corrosive than Windex, but it's better than wiping a dry cd. I agree that it is a bad idea to clean discs just for the sake of cleaning discs and in a perfect world, discs would be better left alone. However, the dust on the cd surface, if not removed, could easily contaminate the lens of the laser inside the machine resulting in tracking problems and more frequent errors. Of course the lens can be cleaned, but not easily and not without taking the cover off the machine and this is dangerous business because if it's not done exactly and properly, the laser mechanism will likely be damaged. Ultimately, though, the most valuable and important part of the equation is your software. A cd player is cheap in comparison. If you can't clean a cd safely, I'm with Steve; don't clean it at all.

17. audio

Absolutely, but regarding sonic compromises, wouldn't dust on a disc either A) fall inside the cd player and possibly on the laser lens? or B) remain via static charge in place on the disc surface and act in the same manner as scratches, creating small areas of unreadable data?

18. audio

Excessive moisture is an enemy of the compact disc. Again, with regard to soap...be careful here. There are abrasives and certain chemicals that may be corrosive or destructive to the plastic or may leave residue. If you must use water, I would suggest nothing other than distilled.

19. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I'm sure most of us on this forum have had CDs since they first came out, and I can say most of mine still look like new in every way... Only time I use cotton is when one of my daughters gets their greasy paws all over 'em ;)

20. Steve Hoffman

In theory, but not reality. Dust is with us, always. Ever sit in a room where the sunlight streams in and you can see the dust reflected? (YIKES, I'm breathing that? Gulp.) But, just hold a typical CD up to the light and look at the thousands of crappy pin holes in the coating that are missing data. Since there is not a damn thing you can do about that, why worry about a little dust?

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The only thing I do to clean off dust is blow on it. If that isn't enough, I use compressed air.

22. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I may have had to clean 6 in my whole life ,and a windex product with a soft cloth with no circular motion. Works. If they get dusty, i use a brush which came with one of the Cartridges i have purchased in the last few years. A very soft brush to get particles which may cause the laser to mistrack.

23. Steve Hoffman

Ah, Grant is right. His post reminded me that a can of "compressed air" comes in handy once in a while (like when you leave your CD out face up for a week or something, 'though none of you would ever do that I'm sure).

24. audio

This is true, but for me it's all about damage control. I try to minimize anything within reason that can come between me and the music. I inspect my cds for pin holes also and I will usually replace them if I see something I don't like, or another example is an uneven pour where the surface looks all swirly and marble-like. True, it's hard to avoid dust....impossible actually, but I've found some pretty offensive tiny flakes, hairs, and threads of this and that on my discs. Too bad cds don't have mucous membranes, eh?:)

25. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

OH yeah, I've used one of those when I have one around!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.