Obscure UK/US Pop-Psych & Garage Round Table Discussion Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

Like, welcome to part 2, man.
    For reference purposes, part 1 can be found here:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=118894

For the lysergically challenged pop-sike neophytes, this is a free-for-all discussion of all things pertaining to pop-sike & garage music from the sixties (which we'll occasionally stretch into the seventies).
    Please feel free to discuss reissues, remasters, discoveries, personal revelations, favourite songs---the more obscure the better.

[​IMG]

2. Clarkophile

3. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

Awesome pic! :edthumbs:

4. Clarkophile

Thanks. Did you check out the Creation vid? I was astonished to find that. I had never seen film of them before. The violin bow even makes an appearance.

While on the subject of extant film of obscure bands, has anyone ever seen film of Mighty Baby?

5. mmorris3

mmorris3 Forum Resident

What a great band and song. Why they were never very successful is beyond me. I highly recommend the Our Music Is Red - With Purple Flashes CD. I know it's available on vinyl as well.

Jimmy Page has stated that David McCallum's dad gave him the idea to use a bow on his guitar (McCallum sr. was a session violinist and worked with Page on a recording session), but Eddie Phillips says that Jimmy Page saw him using a bow way before that.

6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Well, since I saw this thread whilst playing A Giant Crab Comes Forth for the first time, I will chime in to say it's a pleasant surprise over Cool It Helios, which I didn't care for.

Nothing great, but some good stuff. Covers of Cucumber Castle and Hi Ho Silver Lining.

I also picked up the new reissue of Power Plant, which I quite liked.

7. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Thought I might mention that I picked up the 2 CD set of Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack by The Nice the other week. Always liked that first Nice album though I have little use for any later stuff by them. TOED (to me) was a psychedelic album whilst everything after was firmly in the progressive camp. I think it was Davy O'List the guitarist that made the distinction for me. Great psych guitar and the songwriting is clearly in that late 60s British psych mode. Probably the only recording I have an interest in which has Keith Emerson on it. Anyway the 2-fer adds bonus trax galore including earlier demo takes of many of the album originals which are even more psychedelic than the released stuff. The Cry Of Eugene, Tantalising Maggie, the title song, Diamond Hard Blue Apples Of The Moon , War and especially Flower King Of Flies are all top caliber head trips.

8. Clarkophile

Initially I was happy with my Sunspots CD re-ish LP replica, until someone on another board pointed out that all the tracks fade in because they were sourced from a needle drop and thus had crackles, surface noise. So I take it he was right, all of the songs start cold, they do not fade in?

9. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

I just took delivery of That Driving Beat - UK Freakbeat Rarities box [on Psychic Circle] - containing volumes 1 to 5. Think the separate volumes came out on Past and Present.

Anyway, there is a correction slip inside which states

'These tracks were listed on the rear of the card wallets but are not included on the respective CDs

Volume 3, Track 4: The Regents - Words
    Volume 3, Track 9: Miki Dallon - Gonna Find A Cave
    Volume 5, Track 1: Christian Crusaders - Honey Hash

I have checked the CDs concerned and yes, those tracks are missing.

Were they included on the separate volumes?

If so, I wonder why they were pulled.

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I should have said I liked the music. There are some horrid noises on the vinyl that I think are pressing defects, though I'll try another go round on the 16.5 to make sure it's not invisible debris.

That said, I didn't notice fade-ins, but then again, I wasn't listening for them. I'll check again tonight.

11. Clarkophile

Yeah, I'm very curious about this, though it'll irk me no end to have confirmation that fade-in intros were imposed on the CD issue alone.

[​IMG]

I finally, finally managed to get around to ordering The Collected Works of Jason Crest from Forced Exposure.:righton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHe9AUxA-_I

12. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

It's staple item. Before you own it you're still on the fringe of the pop psych club. :winkgrin::angel:

13. Clarkophile

Well, I know it intimately, if that counts for anything...

I'm going crazy trying to find a track listing for this:
    [​IMG]

Questions:
    1) Is it legit?
    2) Does it include 'Dawn'?

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Naw, man, the lp re has the fade-ins too. Anyone have the original lp to verify if this was done originally as some kind of effect?

15. tymespan

tymespan Forum Resident

The Poets CD was put out by Distortion Records. Has a nice booklet with photos & an essay by Lenny Helsing of The Thanes. Track listing can be found on the the Distortions webpage. Just click on the British CDs link at
    http://www.distortionsrecords.com/

16. Clarkophile

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

17. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

I have a wonderful needledrop of an original LP, and I notice only slight fade-ins on a couple of songs, particularly "Starvation"--not every track. Are the fade-ins on the reissues very noticeable? (What a terrific album!)

Tom: Glad you are getting the Jason Crest disc! "Teagarden Lane," "A Place in the Sun," "Black Mass"....:love:

As for the Poets: A 1996 comp entitled In Your Tower , released on the Strike label (I imagine it's one of those gray market *ahem* releases) includes "Dawn" (not the best sound quality for that track, though). Great liner notes and a comprehensive collection!

18. Clarkophile

Hi Alison!
    Oh, right, you told me this before. Duh.
    I've got a good memory but it's short.

19. Clarkophile

I've got a question about the Spike Drivers. Need some help here.
    Thanks to forum member Mike M. I was hipped to a 2:30 version of 'Strange Mysterious Sounds' (sounds like Gene Clark fronting a Garage band playing a Hallowe'en party), and I was hoping to find the original source for this so I could buy it. The only Spike Drivers release out there has a version of this song on it, but it's not the one I'm after. This one is 5:30+, and doesn't have that special eerie/creepy element that I like so much.

Was the two-minute version a single-only release? If so, can it be found anywhere on CD? Thanks.

20. Gazman

Gazman Active Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but I was thumbing through some old '67 issues of Cashbox the other day and there was a real push on the Spike Drivers. Their label must have had real hope in them as they placed loads of 'The Spike Drivers Are Happening' type ads.

21. Clarkophile

I think I may have answered my own question. It seems the band released two early 45's,
    one of which was 'Strange Mysterious Sounds' b/w 'Break Out the Wine'. I'm going to assume this is the shorter version to which I was referring in my last post; the longer version, which sounds like there was more money for them to play with, appears on this album:
    [​IMG]

It's longer, more ponderous, and lacks that creepy feeling I like so much. If anyone knows of a comp which features the original single, please let me know.

22. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I believe the 45 version you are looking for can be found on the " Come Fly With Us " psych/garage comp which was released in 2004 on the Psychodelic label. Only on vinyl (as far I know, at least that is what I have).

23. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

is Roky Erickson on that album? when i bought it it had an outer wrapping with a sticker that said something like "made with the help or Roky" and it sure sounds like he's singing on one of the tracks (forget which one), but maybe its somebody just soundling like him.
    anyone know?

24. Clarkophile

Rene to the rescue! You are correct. Many thanks, sir!

25. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Does anyone have the RPM CD Bam Caruso Waxworks Vol. 1? Was this sourced from master tapes or from vinyl? I'm curious because of few of these tracks have never appeared on a "legit" (meaning from tape) compilation before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.