Classic Records Introduces Super Vinyl Profile 2 (SV-P II)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spyder, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur. Thread Starter

(links and images from email are not appearing here)

Long and Winding Road, Continues
    THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD CONTINUES
    CLASSIC RECORDS INTRODUCES SUPER VINYL PROFILE 2 (SV-P II)

The long and winding road continues here at Classic Records with our ongoing pursuit to make the best quality records possible. To that end, we have made some changes that have been in the market now for most of 2008 including a slight modification to our Super Vinyl Profile. Some background is in order here before I explain. Originally, what has come to be known as Classic�s �Super Vinyl Profile� (SV-P) was borne out of an attempt to replicate the profile of an original mono Blue Note LP from the mid 1950�s. We cut in half a beat up copy of an original RVG pressing and had dies made specially to replicate the �no groove guard� and �deep groove� center label characteristics of the original pressing. Along for the ride, in terms of recreating the original mold came the weight (200 grams) and the profile (flat) that was inherent to the original pressing. We had NO idea of the importance of the profile during this development process�
    (Please click here to read the entire blog)

QUIEX-SVP without groove guard QUIEX-SVP II with groove guard

CLASSIC RECORDS FINDS IT�S WAY BACK TO THE 1950s BY NOW PRESSING ON SEMI-AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROLLED VINTAGE PRESSES � Why do these hand made pressings sound better?

Stampers installed, ready to press Inspecting a pressing hot off the press

I CAN HEAR CLEARLY NOW � ANNOUNCING CLASSIC CLARITY VINYL
    The change we are most excited about is a move toward a new vinyl formula with some unique characteristics. We have named our new formulation Classic CLARITY VINYL and it is exclusive to Classic Records. The genesis of the new formula came as a result of a visit to High End Audio�s self proclaimed Vinyl Guru Michael Fremer�s Analog Laboratory in suburban New Jersey. After being shown a large number of garage sale �finds� that Mikey picked up for a quarter each, I sat down for a listen and was, as many before me, suitably impressed with the sound presented there. Mr. Fremer, as I like to refer to him in deference to his analog tenacity, then proceeded to demonstrate for me a Furutech LP demagnetizer on the Classic 200g Flat Profile of �Masked and Anonymous� using �Most of The Time� performed by Sophie Zelmani (track two on side 2) which I know very well and is a personal favorite as well as a great demo tune. We started by playing the cut at a realistic level on his infamous Continuum Turntable and I thought �this is pretty darned good sounding�. Without muting or touching anything, Mikey then placed the LP, b-side down, on the demagnetizer and pushed the button that turned on a red light that changed to green after about 30 seconds of silent operation. As he put the LP back on the turntable, I thought to myself, �here we go again with another tweak that will change something that I can hear but can�t explain nor determine whether the difference was better or worse�. Skeptically predisposed, I listened as the perfectly cued stylus touched the lead in to the song. My mouth dropped open from the first note and remained opened throughout the entirety of the tune! The vocal had so much more texture, bass definition and clarity of every nuance of the recording was vastly improved and there was more low level information than I had ever heard in the recording. I felt like, for a moment, that Sophie was in the room singing to me having suspended my disbelief that this was a recording and having been fooled into believing it was real. I had not heard such a dramatic difference in LP playback since the first time I heard a flat profile Classic LP versus a conventional profile of the same title. In much the same way as with the initial Super Vinyl Profile versus Conventional Profile comparison, I was left puzzled trying to figure out why the demagnetizer had the sonic effects I clearly heard on a piece of plastic.

Classic black vinyl formula and new Clarity vinyl pellets Clarity vinyl pressing, blank side

The answer was to come soon after that fateful day in the �Vinyl Temple� when, at the Consumer Electronic Show, I asked the Vice President of Furutech for an explanation. Through an interpreter, he explained very simply �the carbon black that is ADDED to vinyl for LP manufacture contains trace metals that become randomly magnetized and interfere electrically with the cartridge hanging overhead during play�. I shared with him that when I heard the effects of his machine on my LP�s that it was quite an �ear opening� experience, which I think he appreciated being told about.
    I obtained Furutech demagnetizers for both home and Classic Records and became and remain one of the converted. Then one day, I was out running and I was struck by another epiphany � if carbon black and the trace metals contained therein caused playback distortion in the cartridge then why not take out the carbon black altogether? I sourced samples of clear vinyl and did some tests against our normal Black Kenan 550 compound made in Columbia. Not surprisingly, what I heard was that the clear vinyl sounded like the demagnetized black vinyl in all the same ways � better detail, better bass, more low level ambient detail and generally more clarity throughout. Working with vinyl manufacturers, we experimented with a number of formulas and finally decided upon a formula we now refer to as our CLARITY VINYL formulation that we are proud to announce to the market.

Classic Records Clarity Vinyl 45 RPM Deluxe Edition

Initially, we are introducing CLARITY VINYL on our single sided 45 RPM releases which have been upgraded to include special packaging in the form of a box for each release in the CLASSIC CLARITY VINYL 45 RPM SERIES � all pressed on our Super Vinyl Profile II.

The first two releases will be:

BST 1577-45-200g Clarity SV-P II John Coltrane � Blue Train (4 disc box set)

BST 1595-45-200g Clarity SV-P II Cannonball Adderly � Somethin' Else (4 disc box set)

Also, coming soon on CLARITY VINYL will be:

C 1024-200g Clarity SV-PII Leo Kottke � 6 & 12 String Guitar

BST 81595-STEREO-45 Clarity SV-p II 1 disk 200G Cannonball Adderley | Autumn Leaves & Alison's Uncle

In terms of future releases and re-pressings of back catalog on CLARITY VINYL, we will proceed slowly and keep you informed. We would be happy for you to tell us what you hear!!!!

Thank you for your continued support,

Michael Hobson � President, Classic Records Inc.

top of page
    New Classic Records Clarity SVP-II, 45rpm Releases
    John Coltrane
    Blue Train, Clarity Vinyl 200G 45RPM, 4 Disc Box Set
    Blue Note
    BST 1577-45-200G
    $50.00 MSRP

Scheduled to be released October 1, 2008
    Listed in Jazz

Buy Now from TheMusic.com

Arguably one of the most influential titles from Coltrane and one of the greatest Blue Note releases ever. In 1957, right at the very start of his prestige recording period, 'Trane did this one-off set in New Jersey with Rudy Van Gelder with historic results. The recent reissue abundance of the title, re-packaged and enhanced in many ways, reveals the reverence put upon these sides. Transferred from the first-generation two track masters. Now available on Classic Records *Clarity Vinyl SVP-II 200g as a Single Sided 45rpm Deluxe Box Set Release.

*Clarity Vinyl represents the ultimate in vinyl formulations because it is comprised of over 90% percentage of the highest quality co-polymer available - a key component in vinyl pellets used for manufacturing vinyl records. Further, Clarity Vinyl has no carbon black additive, common in vinyl formulas for LP's. Carbon Black contains trace metals that become magnetized and cause "electrical distortions" in cartridges during playback that smears the sound. By taking out the Carbon Black, Classic Records is able to dramatically reduce the "electrical distortions" and thus bring more "Clarity" to the playback process, providing a more realistic musical experience to the listener and LP enthusiast.
    45 rpm records have long been recognized as providing a higher fidelity musical experience resulting purely from the cartridge being able to extract more of the nuance from the complex vertical and horizontal groove modulations in stereo LP's. Further, Classic Records 45 rpm "single sided" pressings dramatically reduce the mechanical resonances created by the cartridge during playback by allowing these resonances to be more fully transmitted to and absorbed by the turntable platter. Classic Records Clarity Vinyl 45 rpm pressings are designed and manufactured to provide the "LOWEST DISTORTION" in every aspect of LP playback resulting in putting the listener as close to the music as possible.

Cannonball Adderley
    Somethin' Else, Clarity Vinyl 200G 45RPM, 4 Disc Box Set
    Blue Note
    BST 1595-45-200G
    $50.00 MSRP

Listed in Jazz

When Cannonball Adderley scheduled the 1958 recording of what was to be his only Blue Note LP, he called on his old employer from their days as quintet members on Columbia, Miles Davis. The reunion resulted in one of the greatest and most revered Jazz LPs ever: "Somethin' Else." The quintet delivers beautiful strong renditions of Autumn Leaves, Love For Sale, One For Daddy-O, Dancing In The Dark, and the title tune. Cut from the original first generation analog masters, it sizzles. Now available on Classic Records *Clarity Vinyl SVP-II 200g as a Single Sided 45rpm Deluxe Box Set Release.

*Clarity Vinyl represents the ultimate in vinyl formulations because it is comprised of over 90% percentage of the highest quality co-polymer available - a key component in vinyl pellets used for manufacturing vinyl records. Further, Clarity Vinyl has no carbon black additive, common in vinyl formulas for LP's. Carbon Black contains trace metals that become magnetized and cause "electrical distortions" in cartridges during playback that smears the sound. By taking out the Carbon Black, Classic Records is able to dramatically reduce the "electrical distortions" and thus bring more "Clarity" to the playback process, providing a more realistic musical experience to the listener and LP enthusiast.
    45 rpm records have long been recognized as providing a higher fidelity musical experience resulting purely from the cartridge being able to extract more of the nuance from the complex vertical and horizontal groove modulations in stereo LP's. Further, Classic Records 45 rpm "single sided" pressings dramatically reduce the mechanical resonances created by the cartridge during playback by allowing these resonances to be more fully transmitted to and absorbed by the turntable platter. Classic Records Clarity Vinyl 45 rpm pressings are designed and manufactured to provide the "LOWEST DISTORTION" in every aspect of LP playback resulting in putting the listener as close to the music as possible.

top of page
    Coming Soon
    Cannonball Adderley
    Autumn Leaves & Alison's Uncle, Clarity Vinyl 200G 45rpm, 1 disk
    Blue Note
    BST 81595-STEREO-45
    $19.00 MSRP

Listed in Jazz

Two sided 12" single contains Autumn Leaves in 45rpm on side A, and Alison's Uncle in 45rpm on side B. Now Available on Classic Records *Clarity SVP-II 200g.
    Clarity Vinyl represents the ultimate in vinyl formulations because it is comprised of over 90% percentage of the highest quality co-polymer available - a key component in vinyl pellets used for manufacturing vinyl records. Further, Clarity Vinyl has no carbon black additive, common in vinyl formulas for LP's. Carbon Black contains trace metals that become magnetized and cause "electrical distortions" in cartridges during playback that smears the sound. By taking out the Carbon Black, Classic Records is able to dramatically reduce the "electrical distortions" and thus bring more "Clarity" to the playback process, providing a more realistic musical experience to the listener and LP enthusiast.
    45 rpm records have long been recognized as providing a higher fidelity musical experience resulting purely from the cartridge being able to extract more of the nuance from the complex vertical and horizontal groove modulations in stereo LP's. Classic Records Clarity Vinyl 45 rpm pressings are designed and manufactured to provide the "LOWEST DISTORTION" in every aspect of LP playback resulting in putting the listener as close to the music as possible.

Leo Kottke
    6 & 12 String Guitar-200G, Clarity Vinyl
    Takoma
    C 1024-200G-CLARITY
    $33.00 MSRP

Scheduled to be released October 15, 2008
    Listed in Folk

Recorded in just three and one-half hours, the release of this truly iconic album virtually launched Leo Kottke out beyond the St. Paul-Minneapolis confines where he had been ensconced as a local phenom. By jumping on board John Fahey's burgeoning Takoma label, Kottke's guitar wizardry (especially finger-picking a 12-string, usually reserved as rhythm accompaniment) gave other guitarists far and wide, second thoughts. Throw in some sassy slide work on both 6 & 12 and you'll know why this particular record is commonly referred to as an Intro to Guitar 101. With twelve original compositions plus a few by some guy named J.S. Bach, Kottke's blues, folk, country and classical channelings dictate both his playful and reflective approach on each. Highlights include blazing picking techniques on Broken Bicycle and Vaseline Machine Gun with some muscular bottleneck slide work on The Sailor's Grave On The Prairie. This Classic Records release in conjunction with Fantasy was mastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering in Hollywood and cut on Classic's "All Tube" stereo cutting system. This release will be pressed on Classic's newest Clarity Vinyl on our latest Super Vinyl Profile II. Highest Recommendation!

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Thanks. I had heard about this but was sworn to secrecy. Can't wait to hear 'em. :righton:

3. heaudio

heaudio New Member

A good start would be to institute *some* measure of quality control. After buying literally scores of Classic Records that look (and sound) as though someone wiped his boots on them, I've sworn off. I'll continue to buy "audiophile" LPs from companies that put some amount of effort into producing a record that looks as well as sounds like a $30-50 LP.

4. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Non-plussed

Wasn't Hobson on board for the Impulse catalog and some major EMI reissue campaign? Yet here we are two years later talking about another Blue Train reissue on clear vinyl, the most difficult 'color' to grade visually. I applaud the guy for being the vinyl business, 'cos it ain't easy, but...humbug.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Grading seems less of an issue since these will be new in the short run. I think we all should try one before drawing any conclusions...

6. heaudio

heaudio New Member

Attaboy-- you hold up my end. That'll keep 'em in the black.

Rolleyes indeed....

James W Barron likes this.
  7. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

How many audiophile releases of "Blue Train" are there? I mean, new vinyl or not enough of this title already, especially with Steve's version out there.

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I agree that another Blue Train is not very exciting. They may be doing this so people can compare non clear vinyl editions to the new release.

9. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Lee, the record plant employee still needs to inspect the records before sleeving them for easily identifiable flaws. This will be MUCH more difficult with clear vinyl.

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Just do the Hand Select option from themusic.com and the LPs will be good. At least that is my experience with about a dozen orders.

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Agreed. :)

12. JasonK

JasonK Active Member

Hear-hear! (or is it Here-here...?) I've written to the "customer service" dept. via the Classic Records website at least four times about returns on defective LP's and oddly, none of my E-mails were even acknowledged-Not even an automated response. Contrast that with Lost Highway Records who not only returned an E-mail, but sent me the second pressing of the Shelby Lynne LP in two days!

Both Music Matter's and Acoustic Sounds stand behind their products as well, with great customer service.

I've had insanely good luck buying LP's over the years, but the one company and line that rose to the top of the "returns" column was the 200 gm Classic Records line.

One more thing... am I crazy or did AS just put out BLUE TRAIN and SOMETHING ELSE on 45 RPM? Mastered by our men SH and KG? EMI is shameless...:shake:

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

To be fair here, Classic was doing the Blue Notes before MM and AS as far as I remember-vinyl and HDAD. You would think the boutiques would get some exclusivity period but maybe EMI just needs the cash.

The Bernie Grundman/Chris Bellman Blue Notes from Classic are really good imho.

14. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Better than Hoffman/Gray? Better than RVG deep groove?

15. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I have yet to hear the Acoustic Sounds Blue Train, but I've had the Classic Records 45 rpm set for some years now. It was made in the good old days before Classic had all the QC issues (a 180 gram pressing). It's good enough that I probably won't spend the $50 for the AS version. I prefer it to the original stereo RVG. It probably isn't as good as Steve's version, but I enjoy it quite a bit.

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Competitive with Steve and Kevin's work imho. A different sonic signature but really excellent. Don't have any RVG Deep Grooves to compare.

17. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Same thing happened to me when I emailed Sundazed about a warped LP. I'm not buying any of their LPs again....

18. emkay

emkay Senior Member

I read the blurb on their website -- sounds like these aren't being done at RTI. I get the impression that they are more closely supervised - something about "hand made." The presses they are using are not fully automatic.

Perhaps that will help address some of the QC concerns people have stated here?

19. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

If they repress The Who's My Generation on this stuff, I'll be first in line for a copy :agree:

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Bump for blackie.

21. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Thanks Eddie and doubtful on both counts!

22. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Kenny Drew A/B

The only Bernie Blue Note I have is Undercurrent, and SH/KG MM 45 RPM smokes it for breakfast.

23. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

I like Jazz, but I am very bored of endless 45rpm £50 reissues of Lps everyones already has. Don't they want to sell some records?

This goes for Classics and Blue Note.

24. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

I've found Sundazed to have the best service, they changed my Blonde on Blonde two years after buying it with no receipt. wonderful

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Clear vinyl can be the best when they get it right. It is correct that clear pressings are missing some additives that are not required for a perfect pressing. A more pure record so to speak. Plus they appreciate in value faster than blackies.

Does Classic still use the same plant thay have for years? It sounds like they bought their own presses too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.