Van Morrison does Astral Weeks at the Hollywood Bowl *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnB, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member Thread Starter

This should be of interest to Van fans: http://vanmorrisonnews.blogspot.com/

Van To Deliver A Complete 'Astral Weeks' Concert

Variety:
    The Hollywood Bowl was where the complete "Pet Sounds" concept was birthed,making it a suitable home for Van Morison to revisit "Astral Weeks."

Morrison will perform "Astral Weeks," his 1968 solo album, at the Hollywood Bowl with a band featuring the musicians who appeared on the landmark album. Morrison used a rhythm section of jazz players on the album, among them the great bassist Richard Davis who's now 78.

This event, being held Nov. 7 and 8, is being recorded for an “Astral Weeks Live at the Hollywood Bowl” DVD. Like Brian Wilson did with "Pet Sounds," it's likely a tour of the work will follow.

2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Amazing. I never imagined Van would do something like this. I actually think it's kind of cool, since it indicates he's taking his legacy seriously for once.

3. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

You mean he actually might sing some of the hits like he means it? Usually he consigns them to subordinates (Brian Kennedy) or rushes through them like contractual obligations.

4. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Agreed.

It's a pity though that Van is such an unattractive visual experience nowadays. A CD version would be nice.

5. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Wow! This looks really cool! Wish I had a Citi credit card for the presale.

6. mfp

mfp Senior Member

:bigeek:
    Please, Van, take that show to Europe!
    Seeing Richard Davis alone should be worth the price of the tickets.

7. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I don't think "The Parrot" has repeated - sorry - accompanied Van for many years.

8. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

............for many years :)

9. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

wow, I'd love to see this. hope he brings this to nyc. its almost kind of shocking to believe this is happening really. but a smart move on his part, he doesnt control the master for Astral Weeks, so he'll make a new one...:laugh:

10. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

Now THIS is worth the prices he normally charges! For this, I would forgo the drinks.

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I dunno, anything with Van can go either way. Hopefully, he's taking this seriously.

12. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I took this snap on my way in to work this morning:

[​IMG]

13. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

The link has no information, other than Van playing Astral Weeks in its entirety. Does this mean the show will be 45 minutes long? If he uses the session players from that album could they be expected to play his other material? During his recent shows in the UK, he only played 2 or 3 songs from Astral Weeks (very well I may add) so more information needs to come forth. His last US shows were fetching upwards of $300 per ticket (more for the golden circle seats), so be prepared to pay even more for an "Astral Event" if it happens.

14. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Which only goes to show how long it's been since Van put on a show a reasonable person could afford attending.

15. DJ WILBUR

i saw van 2006 jones beach for $20 a ticket, had a great time...so not sure what you mean?

i am a reasonable person!

16. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Astral Weeks was lightning in a bottle, how do you recapture something like that? He's moved far beyond that moment. I'm wary of how this will sound, but I have to admit, if Richard Davis and any of the other session men are involved, it would be great at least seeing them, whatever else VM himself does.

17. DJ WILBUR

i think it could be quite good actually based on a few cuts i've heard him do live over the past few years.

for a man who never looks back, this is one I'm glad he's giving a shot to.

18. DJ WILBUR

19. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

We're talking about "Astral Weeks". How many "hits" are on that album?

20. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

IMO Laying out the money for Van Morrisson show is pretty much a sucker bet these days.
    He's just as likely to turn his back to the audience and not do "Astral Weeks" material no matter what the show is supposed to be.

21. Seems to me this is somewhat like McCartney playing Beatles stuff like he means it--he's reclaiming his legacy and getting back in touch with what a signficant album it was for him. Hopefully this will spur Warner to go back and do a remaster for CD as well as other formats with bonus tracks...maybe they can even get Van to cooperate in the new version.

Van's "Astral Weeks" is a masterpiece and in his canon its like (I'm not comparing quality here more cultural/artisti impact) his "Sgt. Pepper" , "Village Green Preservation Society" or "Who's Next" (although it didn't come near touching the sales of either of those albums)

22. brainwashed

In fact, the rumours were strong that his recent UK shows would be heavy on Astral Weeks material, all being recorded for a 40th Anniversary release CD/DVD that will be released a year too late, if it ever comes out. I believe, he performed just 3 songs. And again, what's the idea of using the same session guys? His current touring band has finally gotten its act together... now he wants to shift gears and use session guys for a 2 gig 'special event'? Lots of questions need to be answered yet.

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Well, it may have sold better than the Kinks' "Village Green Preservation Society" album. Both were ignored pretty much by the public in the late 60s.
    Arnie

24. brainwashed

Shockingly, Astral Weeks wasn't awarded a Gold Record by the RIAA until Aug. 28, 2001!! Village Green... was a flop saleswise when it was released, I don't believe it has achieved Gold status in the US.

25. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I remember an interview after Wilson had toured Pet Sounds in which he was highly critical of such an exercise. Wonder how much it took to persuade him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.