The Strain Gauge Cartridge at the London 2008 HiFi Show

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by darkmatter, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff Thread Starter

I briefly heard this cartridge at the London show and thought it was rather interesting, has anyone else heard this?
    I won't go into details as it's concept is described in the link below, seems like the costs of running it are very reasonable.

Simon :)

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/StrainGaugedetails.html

2. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

there have been a couple of threads regarding the strain gauge cartridge. Audio Asylum/vinyl has had a number of discussions regarding the cartridge, and Soundsmith in general.

I heard the cartridge a couple of years ago at the Denver show and really liked the dynamics. It is an interesting cartridge, for sure. Because of its unique design and philosophy, it has its fans and detractors. As for myself, the test records I brought last year were a mixed bag when played on the SG cartridge. One LP sounded awesome, one awful. I went with the intention of purchasing one, but walked away empty handed.

I think Tone Audio is going to be reviewing Soundsmith cartridges in the near future. Not sure if the SG is included, but I sure hope so!

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I heard this cart in the Gershman suite last year at RMAF and it was okay but not spectacular sounding for all the added expense.

4. Orlan K

Orlan K New Member

The basic reason for the strain gauge cart was that it could be easily and precisely made in quantity at a lower cost than expensive moving coil carts while providing equal results. Really expensive strain gage carts defeat this basic reason for doing it in the first place.

Then again I am perhaps the wrong person to ask because I have never been motivated to own a cartridge costing more than a couple of hundred dollars despite having heard them extensively.

5. darkmatter

Heard this again at the March London show, the sound was excellent and it was sounding incredibly transparent on the vocal tracks being played.

Simon :)

6. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

I use the old Panasonic version (an EPC-450C-II) for CD-4 records and it sounds very good. A lot of detail.

Doug

7. darkmatter

Interesting thanks for that :)

8. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I just bought an old strain gauge (not a sound smith) this week. I haven't stopped playing records all day "working at home". Its brilliant and craps on everything else I own, which includes
    - ZYX universe
    - Grado reference
    - Shure v15 V
    - Sumiko Blu Point Special
    - AT OC9
    Need I say more? I am convinced its the bees knees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.