Peter Gabriel's PGCD European CDs - what mastering did they use on them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flashgordon, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member Thread Starter

Just got first three Peter Gabriel CDs. Two of them are dutch Charisma/Virgin PGCD issues. They have PGCD number on the spine, but different number on CD itself. For instance, third Gabriel has the following number on CD:
    PGCD3 - Stereo
    00777 7 86369 2 2

Matrix info: 786369 2 @4
    1-2-1-NL

The CD is alluminium (colourless) all the way and there's no Charisma logo anywhere on CD.
    It looks like a 2nd pressing to me. Though i can't be sure 'bout that.

Does anyone familiar with this issue? Are those CDs clones of the 1st pressing discs or they have their own unique mastering? Are they the ones to stay with? :help:

2. flashgordon

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Your Dutch Charisma/Virgin CD pressings are made by EMI in Uden, Holland. Later pressings (late 1980's-early 1990's era). Don't know about the mastering found within.

4. flashgordon

Thank you, McLover! :wave:
    Anyone knows what mastering did they use on those Dutch Charisma/Virgin Peter Gabriel CDs? Should i search for an earlier pressing?

5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Like the early Genesis CDs, the early Gabriel titles were all mastered by Nimbus. In our analysis of the Genesis catalog (http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=149728), where Nimbus and Uden versions have been reported they have largely been the same mastering. I'll post up the EAC levels for the Nimbus PG1 and PG2 later, unless someone beats me to it.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Here we go:

PG 1 (Nimbus):
    91.2 % - 97.7 % - 97.7 % - 87.1 % - 93.3 % - 97.7 % - 97.6 % - 89.7 % - 97.7 %

PG 2 (Nimbus):
    97.7 % - 97.7 % - 58.7 % - 97.7 % - 97.7 % - 92.0 % - 97.7 % - 96.5 % - 97.7 % - 97.7 % - 97.7 %

7. flashgordon

Thanx a lot, Black Elk :wave:
    Unfortunately, i haven't got that software, which shows the EAC levels, so i can't check out my own PG CDs and compare them with Nimbus :(

8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

9. Matty

Matty Senior Member

You may already know this, but the "mastered by Nimbus" credit on a lot of early discs doesn't necessarily mean that Nimbus did actual mastering -- the phrase is essentially the equivalent of "pressed by Nimbus."

10. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Michael Poloukhine's PG discography at http://www.genesis-discography.org/ has your V/C indeed as not being the first issue though he doesn't list earlier ones for that title. For PG1 and PG2 he has catalog numbers for US Atco and UK Charisma issues that predate the V/C in some cases.

11. Ere

Ere Senior Member

In the FWIW dept: When I first went to buy PG CDs in 1985 in Rochester the only ones to be had, through special order, were the V/C. I understood at the time that the pre-Security albums were not available as domestic CD issues and once I got my complete V/C set never bothered to look for them.
    I did ask Barry if he ever mastered the first two albums for CD at Atlantic and he answered in the negative. I dont' know if those two, or 3 on Mercury, were ever released domestically on CD until the 2002 remasters on Geffen.*

*... the exception being the US Atlantic CD Revisited US Atlantic 7 82429-2, from 1992, which culled tracks from 1 and 2... "Digitally remastered by Stephen Innocenzi at Atlantic Studios, New York." Wonder if Ahmet Ertegun greenlighted that release?;)

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The earliest discs are likely to be the West German Charisma 800 xxx-2 titles possibly with "blue faces". In the Genesis thread I linked to, they have not had the same mastering as the V/C Nimbus editions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.