Bing Crosby - Artist of the Century?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadbirdie, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm sitting here listening to a Bing Crosby box set and I was wondering something:

I've heard it mentioned many times, "The most influential performers/superstars/celebrities/icons of the 20th century were Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Frank Sinatra & Bing Crosby" (others as well, depending on the list, but i'm just using those for argument's sake.)

Nothing against him or his music, which I enjoy immensely, but was he really that influential to 20th century popular entertainment? The Beatles & Elvis I can understand as their influence is still felt today. I know Sinatra was like the Beatles in the 40s, but Bing? Did he have the little girls screaming back in the 30s? Just wondering if someone can explain to me the cultural impact of Mr. Crosby and why he's mentioned in the same breath as the other three in terms of influence.

Thanks.

2. JBFoster

JBFoster New Member

I guess it depends on when you were born. Beatles, Elvis, etc. may have continuing influence, but Louis Armstrong and Bing Crosby invented the whole damn thing (modern popular music combined with technology designed for a mass international marketplace).

Gary Giddins' book "A Pocketful Of Dreams" certainly makes a strong case for Crosby as "the most influential and successful popular performer in the first half of the 20th century."

In a book review:
    Here are some points on which you could get a solid consensus among historians: He was the most popular recording artist of all time, selling more records and earning more radio listeners than anyone else, and for longer than anyone else, nearly a quarter of a century. No one else was even close, and in terms of a share of the recording market, no one is close today. And the records represented only a part of Crosby's popularity. For nearly two decades he was a leading box office attraction, placing No. 1 for five straight years. He was the most popular radio singer of all time and probably created the idea of the "popular" singer as we know it.

Giddins is on firmer ground when evaluating Crosby's musical influence. He was "the first white vocalist to appreciate and assimilate the genius of Louis Armstrong: his rhythm, his emotions, his comedy, his spontaneity ... Bing was the first (pop singer) to render the lyrics of a modern ballad with purpose, the first to suggest an erotic undercurrent." And: "With the microphone elaborating the subtleties of his delivery, Bing was reinventing popular music as a personal and consequently erotic medium."

Jarleboy and guppy270 like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've written about this many times.

Play 20 records with male vocals that were recorded before BING CROSBY and then 20 after. You'll hear the difference. The relaxed, easy going style, the intimacy, the "I'm singing just to you" feeling, the hint of humor.

We are so used to hearing pop music like this that we forget there was a time when it was not so. Bing changed this.

This was the defining moment that an artist seized upon a certain breakthrough technology (the electronic microphone) to actually change forever how a popular singer is supposed to sound, not only in a recorded or broadcast medium but live as well. He walked right up to the microphone and quietly sang right into it, allowing his audience to almost read his innermost thoughts. He was an INSTANT sensation.

In popular music, Bing was the father of everyone, male AND female.

4. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Bingo! (no pun intended!) :thumbsup:

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Bing's influence was extremely varied.

Music? Check. Hits in the 30s, 40s, 50, and still selling records in the 60s and 70s. Probably the only person to have worked with Paul Whiteman, Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, and David Bowie.

Movies? Check. Comedy, drama, musicals, cartoons, all done to a tee. He also was in the first-ever VistaVision movie.

Television? Check. He *was* Mr. Christmas special to many, and also was a regular presence during the rest of the calendar year. He starred in "THE EDSEL SHOW," the first show ever videotaped for west coast rebroadcast.

Radio? The Kraft Music Hall was a top show for many years, and the follow up, Philco Radio Time, was no slouch, either, and was the first network program recorded on tape instead of disc.

Ampex? Check. He was invested in Ampex from roughly day one (1947, I think), and his investments helped bankroll the development/refinement of audiotape and videotape.

In terms of "Jack-of-all-trades"-iness, I would rank things this way:

1. Bing Crosby
    2. (tied, more or less) Frank Sinatra & Beatles -- very different skills from each other, but their strengths and weaknesses make them about equal overall
    3. Elvis

I've got no problem with Bing being named Entertainer of the Century. He had it going on, dog.

Matt

6. the Saint

the Saint Forum Resident

I first got into Crosby listening to that collection of his CBS sides years ago and it immediately hit me "WHY DO I NOT HAVE MORE CROSBY in my collection?"
    I love his 30's stuff(Riding around in the Rain is a fave) but he has great stuff scattered throughout his career.
    The box set is a good place to start but search for the old 3 cd CBS set, too.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

He's up there but I'd go with Satchmo.

Jarleboy and grapenut like this.
  8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

What Steve said, with the caveat that Louis Armstrong was equally revolutionary in changing the way that singers sang: you can make the same "before and after" argument about him.

For the 20th century, I think one can make rational arguments for Crosby, Armstrong, Sinatra, Presley, and the Beatles as the artist of the century. I'm tempted to throw Duke Ellington and Charlie Parker in there, as well, but they didn't really transcend the jazz genre the way that Armstrong did.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Well stated, Steve Hoffman & MLutthans .

:)

10. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Crosby was not the only one, but he was Beatles-like in his influence, his popularity, his identification as a regular buy who sang like a regular guy, not to the balcony. Not to take away from Satchmo or others, but they played different parts. In popular music Crosby led his time period.

11. Steve Hoffman

It's been almost 80 years since Bing led the "change" in music. All of us alive today have been listening to his influence whether we know it or not.

It's Bing's world, we are living in it still.

Jarleboy, Tod41 and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  12. il pleut

il pleut New Member

exactly right. your first paragraph took the words right out of my mouth (or fingers or whatever).

bing basically taught people what a microphone was for, and how to use it. he invented pop singing. he may be the most single influential pop artist of all time (though a good case could be made for louis armstrong too, since his influence transcended pop music and was felt everywhere, even in classical brass playing).

Jarleboy and ModernBingFan0377 like this.
  13. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Sometimes statistics can help put things in perspective:

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/elvisbing.html

...........................................ELVIS PRESLEY................BING CROSBY

Number of Top 30 Hits.................... .85................................383

Number of Top 10 Hits......................38.................. ............ 203

Number of Number 1 Hits........... ..... .18................................ 41

Longest Consecutive Run
    at the #1 Position --.......................-16 weeks (1956) --------- 23 (1944)

Total Weeks at #1..................... ..... 80.............................. 173

Most Top 30 songs in 1 Year........ ..... 10 (1956)............. .........27 (1939)

Total Number of Recordings............. .665....................... ......1700

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right. Bing is the entertainer of the century for this reason.

15. Though Bing is probably rolling over in his grave at the thought of it. He had no idea what he hath wrought.

16. Steve Hoffman

I've listened extensively to Bing on session reels from the 1950's and 60's. He liked some rock stuff. Not all by any means but some of it he dug (believe it or not).

Remember, even if we don't all like Bing's MUSIC, his "style" influenced all singers (and musicians) that came after him no matter what type of pop music they performed.

In the last years of his life Bing loved to talk about the Rhythm Boys years and how King Oliver, Louis, Tram, Bix and the other jazzers influenced how he sang. In essence, Bing was saying that he was born to be a black jazz dude, heh.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

Everytime this elusive subject of influence comes up, a sense of "historic empathy" is necessary - you have to transport yourself back in time to understand the impact of that artist in their own time, and the state of music at that time. It wasn't a given that everybody did whatever that influential artist did at that time.

As I understand it, Bing was an important influence on Sinatra. Elvis was a fan of a lot of "old school" pop singers, and sang their songs, including Bing's. Steve has put it best above, but if you listen to recordings of vocalists before Bing, a lot of them sound cartoonish...even on his early records, Bing was modern and real - smooth.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I can't name them, but I recall some of them really over enunciating stuff. Very nasally and stiff.

19. Steve Hoffman

My big fairly recent Bing Thrill was when I was working on the DCC Gold CD version of the 1964 ROBIN AND THE SEVEN HOODS album. The session reels revealed that Bing never made a mistake, his songs were one take wonders. The rest of them screwed up right and left but Bing was unflappable.

Imagine that day at United/Western. Gathered around two microphones in Studio B were the top names in talent of the 20th Century:

Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis, Jr.

Quite a lineup. It's no wonder that I wanted to hear every second of outtakes.

Listen to MR. BOOZE on that album. Bing didn't even rehearse. He just sailed through it while glancing at the sheet music.

Them days is gone.

20. Steve Hoffman

And basically shouting to be heard. Subtly lost. That was status quo until Bing.

21. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Yes. And Crosby as Crosby was after Armstrong. The only slight nuance I'd add is that Armstrong's innovations as a singer primarily had to do with rhythm, timber, to some extent improvisation, and to some extent attitude or affect. It was rhythm that Crosby got from him, and it was decisive. He also picked up a little of the attitude--at least the idea that a singer could put a very personal, and conversational or *vernacular* stamp on a song. The peculiar brand of intimate warmth and, paradoxically cool nonchalance (along with all the related micophone stuff, of course) was entirely his own, I think, as has been said.

You're also right that Parker and Ellington matter in different ways than the others. You can also say that neither of them would have been possible without Armstrong--because Armstrong was even more important as an instrumentalist--the inventor of the mode of improvisation that not only makes Jazz Jazz, but that has affected the way solo instrumental passages of all kinds in popular--and not just in popular--music are structured.

L.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Bing was a huge influence on Dino :)

although, I enjoy Dino more...

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

Wow. Old school Professional with a capital "P"

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Someone please recommend a good intro to Bing Crosby purchase for this Bing-newbie. Thanks.

25. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Bing! His Legendary Years (1931 - 1957) on Decca/MCA CDs (4 CD box).

His career is just too huge even for a box set like that to wrap around. But that's the best single-stop title IMH. It starts early enough to give you a sense of the old "recital" manner changing to a more modern kind of "intimate," which to my ears was the most crucial (and deceptively pervasive) thing Bing and Armstrong did. It spans far enough to give a suggestion of his later career. The set hits many of the most popular highlights through the banner years and works in a hint variety wise. On top of that it's hard if not impossible to find better sounding alternatives for some of it, and while not remastered to my taste IMH it still works fine and is appreciably better than most remasters of music from that vintage. It's not a PD thing, original discs & tapes used. It's also one of those box sets that even if you loved the stuff and collected further, you'd still keep it.

Also for a later but still choice option there's Bing Crosby & Rosemary Clooney - Fancy Meeting You Here on CD (if you can find it). That was a 1958 duet album, vibrant stereo sound (decent remaster), breezy & brassy Billy May arrangements... just a plain nifty classic pop record.

Anyway you know Nat's my thing, and love Louis Armstrong as well, but I also admire Bing and like a fair bit of the records of his I've heard. Bing was a phenomina we can all be glad came along, the man can't get enough respect.

To the OP: Oh yes, Bing did have the ladies swooning in his earlier career. He was kind of notorious, actually. :laugh: I mean... here's probably his best moment from his early film musical career:

Bing Crosby - Temptation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-AY5wVE_Sc&fmt=18

From the film, Going Hollywood (1933). (Sound level on that video seemed rather low at least on my PC here so you might want to turn it up).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.