Zeppelin channel reversals ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mhw58, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhw58

mhw58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've read there are Diament Zeppelin cd's with channel reversals on 1, 3 and 4.
    If I've read correctly, you listen for the high hat on Good times from Zep 1, it should be on the left. For Zep 3 the acoustic guitar on Gallows pole should be on the left. Correct? IF so, my Zep 1 is reversed and my Zep 3 is correct. How do you tell if Zep 4 is reversed?
    Mike

2. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The guitar on Stairway to Heaven should start on the left.

3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Please be advised that IV was not mastered by Señor Diament.

4. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

Mastered by Joe Sidore

5. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Took two Simons from Montreal to correct this... :D

6. ricks

ricks Senior Member

This has been covered to death but the short of it is only some pressings of Sidore's IV have the channel reversal. The WG Target, 32XD, 20P2 and some others are correct.

Rick

7. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

Hilarious didn't even notice that. Maybe I saw ya one night at Barfly haha

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

And a Steve from Montreal to put the guitar in the right place. :)

9. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

:D

10. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I know Led Zeppelin I had them reversed. I think I even called around at Atlantic to complain about that at the time and Bobby Warner called me back. I don't remember the explanation I got...

11. For LZ I, there is only the one BD mastered CD version with the incorrect channels.

For LZ III and IV, there are both, correct and incorrect versions around.

For LZ III, the majority of the BD mastered CD's have the correct version (at least that was the result of a recent poll here).

For LZ IV, I really don't know which version is more common. Many of the early versions (like already mentioned) have the correct channels, but it seems like later versions at least from Germany have the incorrect channels, and there should be quite a few out there.

12. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I might add that the Classic Records version of Led Zeppelin I also has reversed channels. I wonder if they have Classic the same tape they gave Barry.

13. PainoMan

PainoMan New Member

The Classic Records "Led Zeppelin I" does NOT have the channels reversed. However, their release of "Physical Graffiti" does if you compare it against the original UK vinyl pressing (SSK 89400).

Interestingly, the non-remastered Japanese 1st CD pressing (55XD-661) of "Physical Graffiti" also has the channels reversed, while the remastered version included in the "Complete Studio Sessions" box has the correct channel orientation.

hi_watt likes this.
  14. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Mine does!

15. Modern_Mannequin

Modern_Mannequin Active Member

How do they make such an elementary level mistake? What a pain in the butt. It takes more work to figure out if the channels are reversed than it would have taken to get them right in the first place at the mastering location!

abzach likes this.
  16. PainoMan

PainoMan New Member

In all honesty, I only have the Millennium Remasters version of the Classic Records release of "Led Zeppelin I", so it is possible that they flipped the channels after the needledrop.

In an effort to ascertain the correct channel orientation for each release, here is a breakdown of all the releases I have (all vinyl releases are needledrops):

Led Zeppelin I: Using the hi-hat on the intro of "Good Times Bad Times" as the reference (Correct = RIGHT)

US CD (SD 19126-2) - RIGHT
    Japan CD (20P2-2023) - RIGHT
    Pbthal (UK Atlantic Plum 588171 Vinyl) - RIGHT
    Aksman (Japan P-10105A Vinyl) - RIGHT
    Millennium Remasters (Classic Records 180g Vinyl) - RIGHT

Japan SHM-CD Definitive Boxset - LEFT
    Complete Studio Recordings CD Box (USA) - LEFT

-----

Led Zeppelin II: Using "Whole Lotta Love" intro guitar riff as the reference (Correct = LEFT)

US CD (19127-2) - LEFT
    Japan CD (20P2-2024) - LEFT
    Pbthal (US Atlantic SD 8236 Vinyl) - LEFT
    Aksman (Japan P-10101A Vinyl) - LEFT
    Millennium Remasters (Classic Records 180g Vinyl) - LEFT

-----

Led Zeppelin III: Using "Immigrant Song" opening guitar riff as the reference (Correct - LEFT)

US CD (SD 19128-2) - LEFT
    Japan CD (20P2-2025) - LEFT
    Pbthal (UK Plum 2401-002 Vinyl) - LEFT
    Aksman (Japan P-10106A Vinyl) - LEFT

-----

Led Zeppelin IV: Using the record spin-up sound at the very beginning of "Black Dog" as the reference (Correct = RIGHT)

Japan CD (1929-2 / 250 008) - RIGHT
    Japan CD (20P2-2025) - RIGHT
    Japan SHM-CD Definitive Boxset - RIGHT
    Complete Studio Recordings CD Box (USA) - RIGHT
    Pbthal (US Atlantic SD 7208 Vinyl) - RIGHT
    Aksman (Classic Records 180g Vinyl) - RIGHT

-----

Houses Of The Holy: Using "The Song Remains The Same" opening guitar riff as the reference (Correct = LEFT)

Pbthal (UK Atlantic K 50014 Vinyl) - LEFT
    Aksman (Japan P101007A Vinyl) - LEFT

-----

Physical Graffiti: Using "Custard Pie" opening guitar riff as the reference (Correct = LEFT)

Pbthal (UK SSK 89400 Vinyl) - LEFT
    Aksman (Japan AMJY 2005~6 Vinyl) - LEFT

Japan CD (55XD-661 2) - RIGHT

-----

Presence: Using "For Your Life" opening guitar riff as the reference (Correct = LEFT)

Japan CD (AMCY-2438) - LEFT

-----

The Song Remains The Same: Using the "Ok, let's go!" announcement at the very beginning as the reference (Correct = LEFT)

Aksman (180g 4 LP Box Vinyl) - LEFT

-----

In Through The Out Door: Opening piano riff in "South Bound Saurez" as the reference (Correct = RIGHT)

-----

Coda: Using Plant's vocal on "I Can't Quit You Baby" as the reference (Correct = RIGHT)

LitHum05 likes this.
  17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The problem is deciding what's correct. My Classic is also on the right, but we also know that Jimmy Page sat in on both the Marino remastering work that forms the source of the two CD boxes you mentioned (I have the 2003 mini-LPs plus the original crop circle boxes and they also are also on the left), plus the Mothership compilation, again with the hi-hat on the left. I've also owned a couple of Canadian vinyl pressings with it on the left as well. As far as needledrops you found around the internet, you have no way of knowing what's been done to them, even after the supposed "droppers" uploaded them.

18. PainoMan

PainoMan New Member

True of course, however these drops come directly from the droppers and the needledroppers have extremely good reputations. I trust their work and their word as much as anyone on this board.

Unless Jimmy Page, Glyn Johns, Eddie Kramer, Peter Grant or Barry Diament would care to chime in, I would have to say that the orientation that was on the original first pressings of the albums should be deemed "correct".

19. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Go you Cannucks!!! :righton:

20. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Barry already commented somewhere on this to the effect that he just took the tape he was given by Atlantic staff and mastered it as is. As for the rest, I would imagine Jimmy Page, who mixed the original recordings, would probably point out that things were backwards when he sat with both George Marino and John Davis if they reversed the channels. He wasn't present when all those other vinyl versions were made (although he did approve the original Classics, so go figure).

Look, I think through all the discussions we've had on these here that there really is no sure way to ascertain what's right or wrong. I know with LZI, I prefer the sound of it with the channels reversed after I needledrop my Classic. It just sounds more balanced to my ears.

21. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Very interesting...Thanks!

22. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Thanks for the extensive analysis!

I can also add that both of my vinyl copies of Led Zep I (SD 8216) have the hi-hat on the left side. They were mastered by George Piros--one copy is from the early 70s, and the other from the mid 70s.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

IIRC, I think this helped us determine earlier that the correct one was the one with the hi-hat on the left.

24. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Correct is hi-hat on the LEFT, not the right. Unless the original vinyl my Dad bought in 1969 is wrong. The original CD issue was incorrect (I even called WEA to complain about it back then), and it was corrected on the Marino/Page remasters.

25. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.