What Constitutes a "Different" Mastering?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

This topic came up in another thread, so I thought it wise to start a new thread for this purpose.

:)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Different from what?:confused:

3. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

If one is to judge by ears alone, the dynamics can sound different between discs, enough to where it's quite obvious. It's more than just a boost in volume. Obviously those that follow will get more in-depth, but it's being able to tell a difference on how the master recording was treated as they created a master for the CD (assuming we're limiting this to just CD's).

4. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I think we should define exactly what properties are used in mastering first. You know.. eq.. compression..

Steve, I think the topic has come up because of the debate(?) whether or not ( small)volume changes constitutes actual mastering changes.

5. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

2 of the same release on CD, that came from the same digital master with slightly(or more than slightly) changed peak levels between them. I think this is what George is getting at.

6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

It is.

The gist of the discussion is when a CD mastering is used to make a new CD and only seems to differ in it's levels (say 2, 3 dB) how different is it?

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The other thread says if you have two CDs, each from the same files but one is .2dB lower in volume (like with some targets and Japanese CDs) it should be considered a new mastering. I can't bring myself to think that way. Purely a semantic argument in my opinion.

8. Steve Hoffman

That's not a new mastering. Technically, yes but emotionally, no. In other words, you wouldn't need it in your collection of a certain album. It will sound the same as the other mastering.

Why confuse the issue? Life is tooooooo short..

9. LesPaul666

Thank you.:)

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Agreed. Thanks for your thoughts.

11. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

short thread... easy peesy :)

wait... now what the @&#&% am I going to do with all those damn targets! :(

;)

12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

That's a great way to put it. I agree.

13. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

My perspective, stated in the other thread as well, is that even the tiniest change made to a CD master at 16-bits results in much more than the change itself. There is truncation of low level information.

Change the level (at 16-bits) by 1/1000th dB and no one will hear the level change but the loss of fine detail, shortening of reverb tails, coarsening of instrumental timbre that accompany truncation are another story altogether.

In short, I'll go with the standard dictionary definition. If it is not the same (meaning exactly the same) it is different. "Same" and "different" are antonyms. Something is either the same (not different) or it is different (not the same).

It only becomes "semantics" when folks see "slightly different" as equivalent of "the same". Of course a tiny level change in itself qualifies as "slightly different" (still not "the same"). Taking fine detail away, shortening reverb tails, coarsening instrumental timbre don't fall (to me anyway) under "slightly" or anything other than completely and utterly different.

This is just my perspective. Clearly there are different (that word again :sigh:) views on this. I suggest considering the importance of the lost information and not just small level differences in isolation, which is an abstract and not at all the only thing that happens when a CD master is altered after the fact.

All are free to call 'em as they hear 'em of course. For me, if someone changes my work, I no longer consider it my work.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

14. Steve Hoffman

Barry,

Is what you're talking about making a new CD master from a CD or something? If so, I agree, the second version will be inferior to the first.

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

If you had a 1630 CD master, copied it and sent it off to Japan would the Japanese CD be inferior? What if you digitally lowered the level .2dB like so many of the Japanese CDs had done? Would you need a copy of both CDs?

A simple topic that has been made into a confusing topic.

16. bdiament

Hi Steve,

Effectively, yes.

In the other thread, we were talking about changes made to a CD master after it arrives at the pressing plant. For example, one plant presses from the CD master with no changes and the other plant decides to make some level alterations (no matter how small) to the CD master.

I contend they do this at 16-bits. I will stand corrected when someone can offer testimony from a plant that took the original and did a Save As to a longer word length, made their changes and used a fine dithering algorithm to get back to 16-bits.

And two more things:
    They'd have to explain why they took it upon themselves to make such a change in the first place when they received a finished, approved master.
    And they'd have to explain why they dithered an already dithered master.

Of course, if the changes were made at 16-bits, as I strongly suspect, I say folks are getting mislead by looking only at level changes and ignoring the sonic consequences of making any changes at 16-bits, which will far outweigh those level changes.

Best regards,
    Barry

17. Steve Hoffman

I have contracts with the plants not to touch nuthin'.

I agree, this is to be avoided at all costs.

But I wouldn't call it a new mastering, just a ****ed up version of an old one. Heck, I wouldn't call it anything and hope it would just go away..:)

18. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I tell you what, if a duplication plant changed my master, even .1dB, I'd be pretty upset.

19. bdiament

Hi Jamie,

I believe what makes it appear confusing is that some folks are arguing simply about level changes. I'm talking about the sonic consequences of those changes, apart from and much larger than the level.

If you alter the level on a 1630 CD master (does anyone still use those) or any other CD master, even by 1/1000th dB, low level information goes away. You trade detail, spatial information and instrumental timbre for that small level change.

I'm not talking about something subtle here. The change is considerably larger than the differences I've heard between pressings (when the program has not been altered).

If someone I liked told me their engineer did any processing at 16-bits, no matter how small, to their mixes, I'd suggest they bring me new mixes, made by another engineer. (I'd demonstrate it for them so they'd hear it for themselves.)

Best regards,
    Barry

20. bdiament

Hi Steve,

Understood.
    Would you still call it your work? (I wouldn't.)

Best regards,
    Barry

21. bdiament

Hi Jamie,

Hey, wait a minute!
    Have you changed your point of view?
    What's a .1dB level change? ;)

Best regards,
    Barry

22. Steve Hoffman

I originally thought this thread was about an analog tape that was mastered the same way twice to digital, the second time with a slight level drop.

What you guys are talking about is different and a no-no for me (and all of us)...

23. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Just a sympathetic point of view. :) I had a plant add gaps between the tracks before even though the songs cross faded. We made them re-do the whole run.

24. LesPaul666

I guess there would be no practical way of finding which CD of a given release is the "Real McCoy" as the supplied master, then.

25. Steve Hoffman

Jamie,

I can say that in 25 years I've never had a plant redo anthing of mine. Guess I'm lucky....:eek:

They once asked permission to fix a 1630 digital drop out though....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.