Please help - Abraxas - Which issue is best and why?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbmay75, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

This album has been redone so many times it makes my head spin ... I've heard it a million times on standard U.S. CD's but I've always wanted a great multichannel recording and I don't know where to start ... DTS? SACD? Does a great quad or 5.1 exist? Help!

Thanks,
    Dan

2. dbmay75

MFSL/MOFI is off to a great start, but please post comments! It helps me and many other SH members! Thanks!

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The question is which Mofi does one mean with their vote? There are 2 distinct masterings of this title on Gold CD.

4. dbmay75

Exactly my point ... too many ... you can specify which one by posting. Anyone who has A/B'd several issues will make for the most effective comments. I appreciate your help with this.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

6. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Haven't received the new MFSL mastering in the mail yet, but the old one is stellar. I'll vote after I listen to recent MoFi release.

7. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

I voted for the new MoFi because, well, it's the only one I've heard. It really is a tremendous sounding CD.

8. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I chose dts because of the extra channels.

And since there's 2 MFSL versions, shouldn't they both be on the list or do they sound identical?

9. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

There really should be entries for the US premaster and the Anesini remaster too - they sound quite different. I had an early Austrian pressing, which I assume used the US premaster mastering, and I preferred this to the Anesini. Then I got the old MFSL which was better again. Actually the Austrian CD had similar tonality to the MFSL, and was really quite nice, but it was obviously from a higher generation source. I haven't heard the new MFSL.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the mfsl, because it just sounds so damn good!

renny

11. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I chose the old Mobile Fidelity version because of the improvement in sound quality over the old US version. The SACD is also very good but there isn't an improvement over the MFSL version, and some parts aren't nearly as good as the MFSL. The SACD is a single layer disc with no multichannel mix, but does have 3 bonus tracks so it may be the best choice of the discs available if a SACD player is available (it's cheaper than the MFSL version).

I didn't buy the new MFSL because they've already produced the disc and I feel it's their way of cashing in (IMO), they should concentrate on new titles.

I had the DTS version but I didn't like it, the mix was too agressive and didn't sound right.

12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I only have 2 copies of this. The standard copy and the new MFSL. I went with the new MFSL version but both sound good. I believe Vic did the current standard copy.

13. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

14. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I love the original MFSL, but I haven't heard the new one.

15. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I've only ever heard the current remaster & the SACD, & I prefer the SACD.

But I won't vote, because I haven't heard all of the versions listed above. My guess is that *some* people are just voting for the one(s) that they own, without ever even having heard the other versions, which is what the OP is asking for. It's obvious that this is a growing trend around here, & best sounding pressings are simply a "popularity" contest, based on what a forum member owns. Pretty sad .......... :(

16. dbmay75

This may be true, but it might also be an indication that certain members are so pleased with the copy they've purchased and own that they don't need to hear any other format or release. After all, this is material that most, if not all, SH members have heard at least once in their life.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the feedback from street legal and everyone else. This is what makes this site a great place to visit, even if the debates are a little heated now and then. It's a real shame that Abraxas, as old yet evolving as the original masters might be, hasn't been given a proper 5.1 release. I've always felt that Santana's music (live, one take, heavy percussion) needs that type of listening environment to breathe and only having cash-cow duet projects like Supernatural and Shaman on hi-res doesn't quite cut the mustard :realmad:

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Which MFSL, the new one or the old one? I voted for the SACD.

18. therockman

I only own 4 copies; the original CD, the remastered CD, the new MFSL and the SACD.

19. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Never heard the Japanese 1st pressing which supposedly is excellent but love my both MFSL & MOFI discs.

20. therockman

I guess that the OP has not fixed the choices of this poll. He has not separated the original MFSL from the new MFSL and he has not yet separated the old Columbia un-remastered CD from the new Sony remastered CD. I hope that this poll gets fixed or the OP can start a new one, his choices do not reflect the current state of reality.

21. dbmay75

Sorry gang, I should have done it right the first time. If you select MFSL/MOFI you can then specify which issue you own/prefer. If you choose U.S. CD then specify which CD you intended by posting. Again, my apologies for doing this haphazardly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.