Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyldreams, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Universal Records are to give no fewer than 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover and re-release in the coming months. Not even one month has passed since The Rolling Stones switched from EMI to Universal but their new label are wasting no time in releasing deluxe versions of:

'Black and Blue', 'Bridges to Babylon', 'Dirty Work', 'Emotional Rescue', 'Exile on Main Street', 'Flashpoint', 'Goat’s Head Soup', 'It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll', 'Jump Back – The Best of The Rolling Stones (1971-1993)', 'Live Licks', 'Love You Live', 'Made in the Shade', 'Steel Wheels', 'Sticky Fingers', 'Still Life', 'Stripped', 'Tattoo You', 'Undercover', 'Voodoo Lounge'.

http://www.albumvote.co.uk/news/article.aspx?headline=368

2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Hopefully they get a good mastering engineer in to do them. If so I'll take Exile and Sticky Fingers. Out of Our Heads [US] and Aftermath would be good too.

3. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Hmmmm...could be interesting.

4. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Jump Back and Made in the Shade? Why not Rewind and Sucking in the '70s too while they're at it?

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

...probably Bob Ludwig

6. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Is he good?

7. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Figures. I just finished collecting all the Virgin titles 2 weeks ago.

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Universal will do the EMI years.... not the Decca years.

9. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Deluxe Versions?? Should we actually expect outtakes and potential live concerts from the era of the album, tagged on as a second disc?? I can't see it myself but if it was done well i'd certainly be interested.

10. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Universal Deluxe Editions at the very least usually come as 2 disc sets with previously unreleased material... promising news!

11. I betcha these are gonna copy the CD Maximum versions.

12. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I doubt there's many studio outtakes so lets hope for some decent live shows. 1971-1973 would be nice and would probably get me shelling out again for Sticky Fingers, Exile and Goats Head. :righton:

13. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

I'd be interested in these.

14. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Odd that they're re-doing all those live albums and compilations, yet skipping "Bridges To Babylon". :confused:

15. There's quite easily one CD's worth of outtakes (and then some) for each of the Stones studio albums from STICKY FINGERS on up. And this is based on what's out there in bootlegs; who knows what's also in the vaults. When you add in mono mixes of a few key singles, the Exile flexi (both as a song and with the snippets intact), various 7" and 12" edits/mixes, a few of the songs that appeared on 8-track in different form, etc. you can have a great set here.

For the GREATEST HITS, maybe they'd do live tracks of the songs on the bonus disc.

16. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Oops, sorry. "Bridges To Babylon" is on that list. Carry on.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Even if I am not a big fan of Stones after 1971, I better hurry to complete my Virgin (and If possible my CBS) collection.

Who knows how these Universal will sound.......

18. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Wow ........ looks like I'll be going broke.

19. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Mouth watering prospect if they put out Live albums as the extra discs.

20. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I'd like to see Stripped vinyl with additional songs from the concert.

21. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I'd prefer studio outtakes to be honest, but I'll take live material as well. The only problem with live stuff is that we'd probably be getting tons of different versions of the same songs (which we already have on OTHER previously released live albums) but from different years.

22. Looks like it could be a crapshoot. But if there's good live material and outtakes on those early discs, well, like others here I'm kinda duty bound to buy them no matter what...

23. reechie

reechie Senior Member

No Some Girls? :confused:

24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

That's gotta be an omission on the part of the author, Reech. Some Girls is the biggest-selling (? I'm just guessing) Stones album of the 70's.

25. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

No Some Girls, no sale! Nice to see they wanna do something more than just 'lets put them out with our label on'. Fingers crossed for a decent mastering job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.