Renaissance - Live at Carnegie Hall/remastered by Eroc -WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by anduandi, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member Thread Starter

Today I received my copy of the newly remastered "Live at Carnegie Hall" by Renaissance from Repertoire Records (REP 5124). Remastering done by our forum member Eroc.
    His name doesn't show up on the disc or cover but I know he did it from a reliable source, namely Eroc himself.
    And you can hear it !
    I never heard this recording in a better sonic quality before, not even on vinyl. :goodie:
    Rich, detailed and smooth.
    Very well done, Eroc ! :righton:
    Thanks for making one of my favourite records sound this great.:cheers:

Achim

http://www.amazon.de/Live-at-Carneg...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1218644766&sr=1-1

2. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

3. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

wow, I never had any complaints about the old Rep. CD & I have a nice vinyl copy but this is one of the best live albums of all time IMO, tempting

4. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

This is the second release of this album on Repertoire apparently, I have the discs released in '94.
    This is a 'desert island' disc for me, I attended the original performances @ Carnegie in 1975 and remember the sound being excellent. I've never been thrilled with any version I have including WLP, original Sire vinyl and the afore-mentioned '94 CD.
    These are the master tapes I'd give to S.H. if I could.
    Great news if truly an improvement in sonics.

5. anduandi

6. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

I have no problems with the earlier Repertoire release - it's going to need to be appreciably better for me to get the new one. Please let us know when anyone has heard both.

7. anduandi

I don't have the old Repertoire "Carnegie Hall.." anymore so I cannot make a comparison.

8. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I have the old Repetoire, sounds good to me...

9. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

The old one is awesome but the sound to me is a bit muffled or distant...would love to hear this new one!!!

10. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I have the 1994 Release as well- always sounded good to me, and a lot cleaner than my vinyl(s)- yes plural!!

Chris

11. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

The old Rep is too bright but not offensive or anything. I first noticed this when I compared a track from it to the Songs from Renaissance Days comp, and after that it just sounded a bit too EQd for me.

I picked up the original UK vinyl and it was the ticket for me so I am all set, but I'm glad to hear Repertoire handed this off to Eroc after the way people moaned about their treatment of the Renaissance catalog in those mini lp sleeves a few years ago.

12. serj

serj Forum Resident

Do you think that Eroc used the original master tapes?

13. anduandi

Since Eroc is a member of this forum you might as well ask him personally...:angel:

14. anduandi

Anyone else have the (Eroc) remastered version meanwhile ?

15. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I liked his work on the recent Gentle Giant remasters. I'd be tempted to get this Renaissance Live at Carnegie Hall release.

A bit off topic, but...anyone know if Eroc did the recent Repertoire Spooky Tooth series?

16. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

It's on order. Looking forward to hearing it and comparing it to the earlier Rep release.

Cheers,
    David

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes, the old Repertoire was one of the best sounding Repertoire's IIRC. I'll be interested to hear Eroc's.

18. Eroc

Eroc Active Member

Just have a look below which Spooky Tooth reissues I did for REP. Singer Mike Harrison sent several mails confirming that he's most amazed about the remasterings and never has heard his "I Am The Walrus" like this before... :righton:

- Eroc

Attached Files:

19. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Perhaps I should look some of these discs out :thumbsup:

Simon :)

20. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

Yes, if Eroc's is better. I need to buy it now!

21. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

Just received Eroc's remastered version and compared it to the original Repertoire. Both are good, no question, but Eroc's simply sings. Detail, clarity, and fullness. Anyone who loves this cd set, do pick up the remaster. Excellent work, Eroc, thank you so much!

By the way, question for you Eroc. I see that Repertoire is releasing or has released new versions of Turn of the Cards, Sheherazade, and Ashes are Burning. Do these also benefit from your remastering talents?

Cheers,
    David

22. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

I bet they do. Now I have to Live at Carnegie Hall again. :)

23. anduandi

Unfortunately not. :realmad:
    The new editions (mini lps) of Ashes.., Turn...and Scheherazade were remastered by a company that used to do many of the recent remasters for Repertoire. They do sound louder but not good.
    Which is a pity:shake:
    Imagine, Eroc had done them....

24. npc145

npc145 music junkie

Is the 2009 Friday Music a new mastering? How does it compare to the Repertoire version?

25. npc145

npc145 music junkie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.