Metallica - Death Magnetic - new album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Since Metallica's 9th album, Death Magnetic will be released September 12, 2008 it is about that time to begin a separate thread. We had some good conversations on the Mission: Metallica (teaser) thread, which is more dedicated to said website.

Another good reason to start discussing this, is that I just heard what should be considered the full-song debut of a Death Magnetic track. I attended Ozzfest 2008 in Frisco, TX on August 9th where Metallica headlined. They played the new song "Cyanide". You can actually hear a good bit from this Mission Metallica Youtube video. Cyanide is the song that begins around 0:16 and continues to 0:30 with the lyrics "Suicide, I've already died. You're just the funeral that I've been waiting for. Cyanide (unheard)". Overall, it's a pretty good track. It does have several tempos, which made it a bit difficult to absorb during the performance. I have a feeling Cyanide will be the first single. Metallica recently shot a video for the first Death Magnetic single.

Also, XM Radio 51 will become Mandatory Metallica 24/7 from August 16-September 30th. :cool:

2. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

At $115 I won't be buying the 5 - 180g - 45rpm lp set. :shake: Guess it's the 2 lp version for me. I don't know why, but I haven't listened to any of the teaser stuff...I think I want to hear it as a whole. I do hope it's a return to their roots (of sorts).

3. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I hope so as well!

4. SamS

Metallica announced today that the album is "done".

Technically, Lars told the Ozzfest crowd that this step had been accomplished mearly "hours" before the show on Saturday August 9th. One thing has apparently not changed: Metallica pushing the deadlines to get the record out in time :agree:

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

A lot of the riffs I've heard on the fly-on-the-wall videos at Mission Metallica are very cool.

Looking forward to hearing Robert on bass. Makes me wonder how much more energy St Anger would have had with him rather than Bob Rock playing bass.

6. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

If James can stay sober, maintain his head and deal with Lars, then hopefully after all that is said and done, the album is good.
    James H. = real cool, rock and roll
    Lars U. = jerk, ego0centric, greedy and a cokehead

7. SamS

Let's not make claims about band members drug use.

Please keep focus on the new album discussion.

8. I'm looking forward to hearing the album!

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I noticed this in the track listing:

Unforgiven III

Ah, just what the world needed.

10. Birmingham Sam

Birmingham Sam New Member

I must admit I haven't heard any of their albums since ... And Justice For All, but I was a big fan of the first four records in my teenage metal days.

I did see that tour documentary though which was (unintentionally I'm sure) painfully funny. Spinal Tap couldn't have done it better, I swear.

I've been listening a lot to their old stuff recently though, so I might have to give this new one a listen.

11. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

Me too. Somehow, I'm thinking Rick Rubin might be able to get this done.

12. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Yes, a bit of a turn off. They don't seem to know when to quit. "Unforgiven II" was pretty much unneeded, too. I can't even remember how it goes, and I've filed the original away in the "songs I don't think I need to hear anymore" section of my mind.

13. Birmingham Sam

Depends what mood he's in. The last thing we need is Metallica doing covers in a roots stylee. I've yet to forgive him for foisting a Neil Diamond revival upon us.

However, if Rick agrees to wear his rock trousers and bring a bit of the old Reign in Blood magic to the party then I'm all ears.

14. SamS

I heard some of "The Day That Never Comes". It is fast and heavy, similar to "Disposable Heroes". Some of the other snips I've heard sound like riffs from the song "...And Justice For All". Very heavy, but not like St. Anger, more soloing and varying tempos.

15. Birmingham Sam

Mm, they were talking to all of them on the BBC Culture Show the other night, and Kirk and James both commented that solos were back on the menu, which is cool with me.

16. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

The album title puts me off to start with. And then "Unforgiven III", my word... I dunno, somehow I doubt they will ever get near their 80s heights again.

17. magick28

magick28 New Member

I dont think I will by another cd from them not after the black album and the load and reload crap and st anger.fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me but 4 times now?

18. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

That fine by me. :righton:
    I hate the album title though.:thumbsdn:

19. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Who will, I wonder? Folks who figure it will be worth $500 in a year or two? Devoted audiophile Metallica fans who've loved all their albums? Completists? I'm just curious. I paid nearly that much for a VG+ mono copy of the White Album, but that was a known musical quantity. I guess the Stadium Arcadium special set did pretty well (don't know that for sure) and it was steep. I look forward to hearing the new one, but I'll hear it for free first. I don't own St. Anger and I don't listen to Re-Load. I actually like Load, however. :D

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I've seen worse album titles.

21. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

It just sounds a bit comic book to me.

22. rainstar2

rainstar2 New Member

Thank you:righton:

23. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Death Magnetic...drug addiction, like a magnet...death...:D

24. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

looking forward to it.

25. Yeah, like the name of a Spiderman story, or perhaps an evil-doer: "Look out Wolverine! It's your evil nemesis, Death Magnetic!!*"

(*: see ish 143 for origins!)

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.