SHM super high material cd has anyone heard these?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steveharris, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member Thread Starter

:confused:
    Has anyone heard how these japanese Super High Material cds sound?
    My gut feeling says the usual louder more compressed sound.

2. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Lots of threads on this I think.

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I honestly don't understand this phenomenon. There has to be a new thread about these cds started every month or so here.

Instead of using the search enging here, use Google's advance search. Type "SHM cd" and then select to search only on this website. You'll find lots of hits.

4. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I haven't heard any of these titles, but from what I recall reading many of these titles simply use the already available mastering on other cds. The only difference (at least in many cases, if I recall what I've read correctly) is the actual physical manufacturing of the discs.

5. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Yep, i heard quite a few = the new Rolling Stones DoCD Shine A Light
    Gentle Giant's - Octopus
    John Mayall's Bluesbreaker's back catalog.
    I like them.
    Problem - Those CD's are only available in Japan and often limited as Collector's Items
    That's why these threads usually won't go far. Not many people in here have heard a SHM CD.

6. andrewwnbanks

andrewwnbanks New Member

SHM-CD

Yes I have heard the Jam's Sound Effects & All Mod Cons. Albums i have heard hundreds of times. I already owned the Japanese pressings of these albums but this version is remarkable. It has to be heard to be believed. I know nothing of the technology, all I know is what my ears tell me. Unfortunately this is likely to be a very expensive business.

Try one.

7. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Yay. Yet ANOTHER thread. Do a search.

8. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I think this Special Heavy Material should be the standard for each CD - it is as obvious as a hit of fresh air, when you leave a smoky bar... and shouldn't cost more than half a cent in mass production. But i think Arista has the patent and this makes matters more complicated.

9. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.