vinyl in Cleveland

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by avnut, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avnut

avnut Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I was in Gem City Records while visiting in Dayton, OH last week, perusing their section of new vinyl - I wanted to buy the Mudcrutch, but didn't want to put it in my trunk, because the weather was really hot, and I had plans to see Mark Knopfler that evening...

Now back in Cleveland, I'm curious to hear from fellow Clevelanders, where they are buying new vinyl?

Don't really see a lot of it at The Exchange locations - I know the Rock Hall stocks it, but based on past discussion, I'm leery of buying it there, because of the extreme amount of sunlight/sun glare at the Rock Hall.

Suggestions?

2. Blue Nile Fan

Blue Nile Fan Forum Resident

As far as new vinyl goes, you might want to put some gas in the car and come down to Akron. Time Traveller in Cuyahoga Falls has some, and another place near downtown, Square Records has a bunch - but beware - it's "out there" kind of groups. You may want to pick up the phone and give them a call. Time Traveller get new ones in, pretty good titles, but if you call and give them a credit card over the phone, or stop in sometime, they can order just about anything under the sun you want. I am sure the same is for Square Records. I have overheard them order stuff for folks before. At the end of September, there is the Fairview Park record show (at the VFW hall). There are a couple guys that come with a lot of new vinyl - that would be a good place to score some. There is also a place in Kent called Spin More Records (a.k.a. Spend More Records as they are pricey). They have a section of unopened new vinyl. Again, call first so they can go over some titles and you don't waste gas. All of these places also have used stuff. Square is decent, Time Traveller has them in boxes in the back, you will have to go through them - bring your lunch. Spin More is expensive - save your money. There is also a used bookstore in Kent that has a lot of nice vinyl (right across from Spin More). Lots of rock and jazz. In Canton, there is a place called "Checkered Records" that has a lot of cool stuff. It is down past Belden Village Mall. If you are anywhere near there, go. However, call first - the owner was battling cancer and I am not sure of how he is doing. Great place to visit. Not the place you walk in and find Led Zep IV, but all the fringe stuff they have.

Good luck searching. I am always looking for some good used vinyl in Cleveland/Akron.

Blue Nile Fan

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I never had a problem with vinyl bought at the Rock Hall. Actually, I did buy one defective title there, but it was a bad pressing, not due to sunlight exposure. I was able to return it to my nearest FYE. I don't buy much new vinyl, but if I do it's usually from Time Traveler, or at the Rock Hall on the rare occasion I make it down there.

As for used vinyl,

Last week, I was in Record Revolution in Cleveland Heights for the first time in years. Their vinyl selection seems to have shrunk considerably since my last visit, though I did manage to find a few nice titles in the short time I was there.

Time Traveler is great - it seems they have more vinyl everytime I stop in there. It's not very well organized though. I haven't made it through all the boxes yet. New vinyl is in a separate rack. They usually get the new Sundazed vinyl releases. Their CD stock is awesome too, if you're into that sort of thing...

I also frequent the Exchange near Chapel Hill mall in Cuyahoga Falls. I think it's pretty decent for run-of-the mill used vinyl. The Exchange in Parma Hts also has a good selection of used vinyl. I used to stop in there quite often when I worked nearby.

As for Spin-More in Kent, yes, some of their prices are ridiculous ($200 for a US mono Revolver?) but I've had quite a few nice finds there without paying too much. They have tons and tons of 45's and LP's of all sorts of music. It's definitely worth a visit. You may even catch a (very) small break if you pay cash rather than use a charge card. :shh:

Thanks for the tip on that bookstore across the street from Spin-More. I'll need to sneak in there next time I'm in Kent.

4. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

What about My Mind's Eye? Is that still open?

5. avnut

avnut Forum Resident Thread Starter

Blue Nile - thanks for all of the stuff....appreciate your insight....I'm aware of Time Traveler...was hoping that there might be something in Cleveland....but it sounds like I might have to make a trip to Canton/Akron!

Regarding the above question....My Mind's Eye is still open - haven't been in there for about a year, so I wasn't sure what they might have in the way of new vinyl...and I've been meaning to stick my head in there to find out!

6. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Cool.
    For what it's worth, my old band stopped in there while on tour a couple of times. Once, we got there in the afternoon for a quick gander before that night's show, and wound up spending four hours there and missing our soundcheck. Our guitar player was something of a record obsessive, see. . . :winkgrin:

7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Dollar for dollar, My Mind's Eye had the best stuff. Great quality, great prices. I haven't made it there in years. Seems like everytime I tried to go there, they were closed.

8. Blue Nile Fan

Blue Nile Fan Forum Resident

There too is The Record Den in Mentor - right across from the mall out there. TONS AND TONS of used and new CD's, and vinyl in the back. They do carry a bunch of new vinyl too - some good titles. Near the counter they have just about every CD boxset ever made it seems. Be prepared to spend a lot of time, and perhaps a lot of money there.

The Exchange in Parma Hts. as mentioned carries a lot of nice vinyl, priced o.k. too. Pretty good selection. I think they have some new stuff too. The Exchange in Solon has some good stuff. A bit pricey, but it is sorted pretty good. I got to know the manager at that store a little. Big audiophile fan.

Down in Hartville, many have purchased vinyl at the Flea Market down there. I guess there is a guy that brings in some good stuff. Also, the Flea Market in Streetsboro, there is a guy in the back that has a bunch of vinyl. All used, but it's there. A bit pricey - that might be a place to visit if you ever get down to Kent. It is in the Streetsboro plaza. You can't miss it.

I have bought some vinyl that I swear was never played before. Keep an eye out for that too in the used sections in places. Everytime I go to a store, someone is trading stuff in.

Don't forget the record show in September. The one guy that camps out near the back corner, Underdog Records from Youngstown, has a lot of new stuff. Not just brand new stuff, but older new stuff still with original seal. ind of a short guy with a grey beard - sort of looks like George Carlin.

Have fun with your search!

Blue Nile Fan

9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Sounds like my old buddy Ron (aka Sonny), who's also a guitarist and member of Y'town's long-running Sacksville Rhythm and Blues Band. (When he plays solo shows, it's under the name Sonny Needs Money.)

Colorful character who's been doing this for years and years. Underdog used to be about a mile from me, but Ron moved his store quite a few years ago, and they're now actually located not in Youngstown, but on Rte. 62 just outside of Hubbard the next county north.

Underdog is about the only retail location I can think of in the greater Youngstown area that sells vinyl. The only other option is the flea markets; there was a big one in Brookfield with several vinyl vendors, but they closed last summer, and those guys scattered between one flea market that's a bit south of Underdog on Rte. 62, and another across the state line in West Middlesex, PA.

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I was at "My Mind's Eye" a few weeks ago. They have a "strange" selection of vinyl, both new and especially used. They are the kings of Garage Band music on CD, lots of comps and artists of that genre.

Try "Record Den" in Mentor for some new vinyl, they usually get one or two copies of the new releases. Last time I was there they had the new MUDCRUNCH LP, with the audiophile CD included. I passed on it because I'm just not into this new Tom Petty Project.

BEWARE of most of TIME TRAVELER's used albums! The guy who used to run their old vinyl store, which used to be behind the current TIME TRAVELER location and is now a bakery, used to clean every album, with the same dirty cloth and that liquid crap that you smear around the record. If you find clean used vinyl at TIME TRAVELER, then consider yourself a VERY lucky person, I've been burnt too many times. The new vinyl and CD selection (both new and used), is otherwise wonderful and the best that you're likely see in these parts anymore.

I also agree to always check out CHECKERED RECORDS in Canton. Yes, as previously noted by BLUE NILE FAN, the owner did have a battle with cancer and has greatly reduced his hours, but he is doing well these days and can usually be found open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, around 11 am to 5 pm (But, call ahead to be sure!)

Chris C

11. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Is Royal Garden Records still in business over on Lorain Rd. in N. Olmsted? It's been awhile since I actually ventured past it.

If so, lots of "oldies" vinyl there. Most of it overpriced, of course.

Edit: Just noticed you were looking for *new* vinyl. Probably won't find any of that there. :)

12. Toka

Toka Active Member

I'll second that...one of my very favorite stores in the whole country. While they skew more towards underground rock/metal (fine by me) they have plenty of other titles, often very cheap...got some 60's Columbia jazz and classical for $1-$2 a pop.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

record connection in niles (just outside of youngstown) used to carry new vinyl, but i haven't been in there in quite a while as his prices are very very high.

sonny at underdog has been around for years, a great guy and fun to talk to.

time traveler is the best as far as i'm concerned, and scott will try his best to get anything you want, vinyl, CD or DVD. but he does ebay and you won't find anything collectible in his used bins, he knows his stuff. he really needs to pay a couple of kids minimum wage and alphabetize his vinyl, they way it is now would take all day to look through.

spin more (spend more - for sure) has also been around for a long time. phil and his wife will give you a dollar for a sealed vinyl copy of the standells "dirty water" and when you go back in there the next week it will be hanging up with a $50 price tag on it. haven't bought very much there in last few years, even his CD, if they are old, are high, and does even matter if they are collectible or not, just if they are old.

most exchange stores have vinyl bins, but i think they go through and pick out the good stuff.

i've heard of record den in mentor but haven't gotten there yet. my buddy and i are planning to go before summer is over. everyone say i won't be disappointed.

renny

14. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

What about the used store on Coventry?

Used to be up the hill through little Italy to Coventry stm there used to be a couple of nice used record stores there. They gone now?

Tim

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the exchange and record revolution (stiff records) are still there, although shells of their former selves. and the CD warehouse that was there is long gone.

there was a store called wax stacks up the street a couple miles, that's gone too.

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we used to drive up to cleveland from youngstown and hit:

>CD warehouse on mayfield road
    >coconuts on mayfield road in the plaza (for cutouts)
    >the exchange on mayfield road
    >stiff in coventry
    >the exchange in coventry
    >CD warehouse in coventry

lunch in little italy

>wax stacks on lee road
    >the exchange in the van aken plaza
    >the exchange on warrensville road

4 of those 9 still exist!

17. Tort

Tort Member

I've been to all these (except Van Aken plaza) and would say your best bet is Record Den in Mentor. More new vinyl there lately and you could call ahead, they will order for you. All these stores have picked over used vinyl, but I am seeing some new turnover in used vinyl there. Coconuts, The Exchange and CD Warehouse on Mayfield are all gone. Exchange in Solon and Parma and North Olmstead are good used CD stores but limited for vinyl. Royal Gardens is still there and is what it is but no new vinyl. Record Den is a worthwhile stop if anywhere near Cleveland.

18. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

What year did the huge Record Rendezvous near public square in downtown Cleveland close? That used to be a major shopping trip when a few of us would go up there in the early 80's.

I agree with Record Den in Mentor. That is where I would go first now.

19. Tort

Tort Member

Wow, Record Rendezvous, haven't heard that one for a long time. Didn,t meander to the downtown store as there was one at Richmond Mall but it probably was gone by '78 or so.

20. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

You're absolutely right. Tons of vinyl scattered in boxes over each other. You could spend the whole day to find one realy decent LP. I was not aware he did e-bay. That's why I aget disappointed when I go "hunting" for nice classic vinyl (it is not there).

His CD collection is incredible especially the "un-official releases".

I find better quality used vinyl and more new vinyl at the Highland Sqaure Record shop in Akron although they havew 1/100 the vinyl that Time Traveller has.

21. applebonkerz

I used to give Scott quite a bit a business. He may have changed his ways by now, but when I stopped he was big into "un-official" copies of "un-official releases" at full price. It was about the same time his eBay business was really taking off, and I could see a big difference in what I was (not) finding in the bins anymore. Once that became the norm, I was out of there.

I got my DCC Sampler disc there for around $5 way back in the good days, if I recall correctly.

On the other hand, two great guys who were always totally stand-up honest, and helpful with me: Ron at Digital Daze, and Chuck at Heartbeat in Kent, aren't in business anymore. Chuck turned me on to music I had never heard before (like Big Star, and John Otway), based on my tastes of other purchases--and I still like them today. It was amusing to me, as different personally as they were in my eyes, over half the times I was in either store Chuck and Scott would be on the phone gabbing to each other to pass the time. :laugh:

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

ron at digital daze was a great guy. he tried like hell to sell that place, he did not want it to close.

you are right about scott though, ebay really changed his used inventory, anything worth anything is not sold in the store. i hardly even look through his used stuff anymore when i go there.

renny

23. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

We also had one in the Great Lakes Mall in Mentor until the mid 80's, I think. That and Record Carnival, National Record Mart and the olde skool Record Den, which used to be inside a discount store called Newbury's, were all in the mall at one point.

Why hasn't anyone suggested the Peaches in Eastlake?

;) :laugh:

24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Heartbeat in Kent. I seem to recall at one time they were selling a Memorex cassette tape of Artful Dodger's "Honor Among Thieves" album for $10, taped from a not very good copy. At least I think it was them. Who else was in Kent back in 1990?

25. applebonkerz

I don't remember seeing anything like that with Chuck selling tape copies at Heartbeat. He used to loan me albums out of his personal collection to see if I liked them though. I've never been to any other store that did things like that. With Otway, he lent me three vinyl albums for over the weekend, that weren't even in print anymore, to tape them if I liked any of it.

He was a spin-off from the Kent Community Store, so maybe it was still part of that "communal" spirit happening. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.