David Bowie RCA Cds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was told that most of the discs have the best sound quality next to the 70s vinyl and a few sound horrible. I was also told:

"...instead of using the original master tapes - RCA used the heavily equalised tapes that had been used for pressing LPs. As a result, the sound of the RCA CDs while largely OK, was not what it could have been."

What are your thoughts on the discs?

:)

2. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

3. Bowie Fett

4. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

5. Bowie Fett

Now...where can I find these?

:D

6. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

the forum classifieds or on the flea.

7. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Bowie Fett Join Date: 07-13-2008

In order to use the Classifieds there is a minimum post requirement of 50 posts. Also you need to have been a member of the forum for a minimum of 30 days. Members who do not meet this criteria will not be able to access the Classifieds at all.

8. Bowie Fett

Ouch! I'm half way there. What does it look like in there concerning these discs?

:shake:

9. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

I don't see the Bowie RCA's pop up too often (or at least my favorite titles ie: Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory, Diamond Dogs) and if they do they're usually pretty pricey... but you will find a ton of other great stuff in the classifieds. Hang in there...:D

10. Bowie Fett

Hahaha...where are the classifieds?

:wave:

11. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

When you are eligible, the link will appear. Like magic. . . :wave:

12. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

There are quite a few going on eBay right now. In fact there's at least two Japan-for-US Ziggys on offer.

13. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

obviously if done properly now , by mfsl or another boutique label the sound would improve a lot but the old rca's are the best digital representations of bowie on digital medium.......some rca's are better than others........ ziggy and honky are very close to vinyl, others like scary or low are not that good.....

they are pricey because they very sought after by collectors and up to a extend scarce-........

with some patience you can get them on the classifieds or ebay..........

14. Bowie Fett

Thank you for your postive words. I have my eye on a few of the discs on eBay...

:D

15. Bowie Fett

16. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Not quite, always,.... I had to have a Gort clear my set up and make it "magically appear"... maybe back in your day Curb...maybe just me...

OP, (original poster) I was going to tell you that the RCA Bowie cds which sell on the classified are usually pretty pricey, but I see from you most recent post, you are willing to pay $$$, but the other factor is...

they go very quickly...

in minutes...

most often to fans lucky enough to be on at the right time, but I have noticed that more and more often, certain lurkers swoop in and buy stuff in seconds becuse the price is cheap and then resell it here, or there, for more, which, I believe, is not the intent of the classifieds forum, and kind of a drag, and I know the gorts have tried to control some of this abuse of the forums.. but I'm just whinning now...

cheers,

:cheers:
    mrbill

17. Bowie Fett

I paid $65.99 each for "Ziggy" and "Young Americans." "Low" went for $75.00. However, they are in mint condition so I'm not complaining.

About the Classified section, I was told that I need to make 50 posts (which I've done) and wait 30 days (which I have not done).

:cool:

18. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

They are superior to all subsequent releases, between the japanese and the west german on a per album basis, and despite the flaws and all of their problems they still sound better than the other releases... a travesty and embarrassment to all of the companies that put them out since.

19. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Don't pay too much for them. I actually saw a Ziggy RCA Made in Japan at Amoeba Berkeley a few weeks ago for $35.00. I passed on it!

:D :D

20. Bowie Fett

The Japanese discs seem to be easier to find. When I DO find them, they look like their previous owner used them for serving drinks.

:shake: :cool:

21. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Yes, I've noticed a certain member whose majority of posts were "PM on Bowie!" or things of that nature. He had a qualifying 50 posts in the Forums, but after that, seemed only interested in Bowie and other cd's. :rolleyes:
    I eventually found one, but had to grab it. And I just don't feel great about grabbing. You may also want to try Half.com - and check back there periodically.

22. Bowie Fett

I'm still trying to build my German RCA cd collection...anyone?

:cool:

23. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

I disagree!!! The old RCAs of Scary and Low are great! They totally trounce the remasters!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.