Ebay action for Chicago X DVD-A

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by tiggers, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiggers

tiggers Formerly tiggres Thread Starter

2. One thing that surprises me about this bootleg auction is that Warner or a Chicago representative didn't bid and win then turn the evidence over to whoever investigates bootleg sales, let's say the FBI, and let that organization handle it. I doubt if it is the FBI, but I am pretty sure including a bootleg of an unreleased surround sound DVD-A for free doesn't hide the fact that it was the bootleg that sold for the outrageous price, not the two official releases, both of which I own and know they aren't worth even a small fraction of that price.

Chris

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I can't believe that that was the next Chicago album prepared for dvd-a release. I'm not sure I would have even paid $14.99 for it had it been released, much less then nearly $1K this copy went for.

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I wonder what the chances are that there is any PPCM content on that Chicago X fake. I'd say no. Seller even hints at it saying "ALL functions" are playable on all players.

Buyer wouldn't have much luck if we was unhappy with it since it's just a "free" item. So looks like he paid about $1K for two common disks easily obtainable.

I'd like to see an official release of this but we'll probably have to wait until Warners gets off their current vinyl push.

5. I think it is DVD-A and includes Dolby Digital 5.1 making it playable on all DVD players, not just DVD-A players. There are a lot of bootleg DVD-A's in existence like that. I would venture a guess that the Pink Floyd DSOTM DVD-A bootleg is in more consumer's hands than any legitimate DVD-A release. Whatever it is, if the buyer isn't happy, he likely has some recourse through PayPal or through the legal system if it is pursued. I couldn't have imagined anybody would bid on the stupid auction, much less bid that amount.

Chris

6. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

As a hi-rez 5.1 fan I followed the releases closely and Chicago "X" was indeed the next in line (all work in progress-talk pointed in this direction, perhaps with Chicago's "Greatest Hits" (they worked on that one too) to follow.

7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I remember X being listed as an upcoming dvd-audio disk. I would have bought it.

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I wish they had released the Greatest Hits dvd-a. Given I'm a fan of hits collections for many artists, I wish that both Sony and Warners had focused more on hits collections for their hi-rez titles.

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I can now tell you for sure that this DVD-A was real and the audio was watermarked and pure 5.1, with menus, videos, and the whole deal.

No, I don't have it, but I did have it in my possesion for a short time. It was actually a DVD-R with no printing on it. I'm not sure if a screened disc was ever produced of this title.

10. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

I wish they would have made a DVD-A of VII now THAT would have been epic!

11. tiggers

tiggers Formerly tiggres Thread Starter

I wonder if either Audio or Mobile Fidelity would ever be interested in picking up a project or two from the audio bone yard. Especially when most of the upfront work is already done on a lot of SACDs and DVDA that were oh so close to being released.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Looks like the auction done got yanked. My guess is that it was a bootleg after all.

13. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

from eBay
    "Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing."

The OP posted on July 7 2008 so it was pulled a long time ago...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.