nirvana nevermind vinyl better than mfsl cd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by karmapolice, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident Thread Starter

hi,

I have the nirvana nevermind and in utero on mfsl cd. I have high end preamp, amp, and speakers on digital but a modest tt. I just bought the tt to start getting into vinyl.

The nirvana nevermind and in utero heavyweight vinyl is rather expensive imports or oop. For those that enjoy both analog and digital, are the heavyweight reissues or even the standard original issue much better than the mfsl cd reissues

thanks

mike

2. hauntologist

hauntologist Active Member

I can't imagine any version of this record sounding better than that recent-ish EU import vinyl reissue on Geffen/Universal. Ferocious bottom end. It makes every other issue I've heard--including the Simply Vinyl, which is supposed to be pretty comparable to the MoFi--sound tinny, bright and weak. It's on standard weight vinyl, but is also a textbook case of an album's mastering being more important than it's 180-gram-ness, or whatever. It's not all that cheap at around 25-30 bucks, but if you love that album, it'll be worth your $$, for sure. :agree:

It is also highly recommended by forum member Tom Port, I might add.

3. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Are you talking about this one?
    http://www.musicdirect.com/product/79856

5. hauntologist

6. thetrout

thetrout Forum Resident

What they said - all the recent EU pressings of Nirvana (with 320 in the deadwax, if you wanna get really technical) smoke any previous versions. I tell the difference even on my obscenely modest TT setup.

7. karmapolice

where to buy

Any recommendation where to buy the. German pressing import nirvana lp?

There are a lot of different versions and would prefer a reliable vendor in case the import vinyl arrives in poor condition. Good price is nice too

8. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

See post #4. Ask them to make sure it's the one you want.

9. FYI - Those Nirvana LPs at Music Direct are priced at 10 bucks more than the two main record stores sell them for here in Winnipeg.

Call a few of the shops in your area and you may be able to find a better price.

10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

What they said. The best of the best for Nevermind

What about In Utero? I could use a recommendation on that one.

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Same. German Universal vinyl pressing.

12. thetrout

thetrout Forum Resident

Yeah, the German Universals are tops for ANY Nirvana recording. In addition to "Nevermind," I've got "In Utero" and "MTV Unplugged." Both a friggin' awesome.

13. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

I like all three as well (all have the '320' in the deawax). Nevermind is truly the standout of these.

14. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

I don't understand why the universal "320" nirvana vinyl is so expensive in the states, here in israel i sell them ( in the store i work in ) for 20$, brand new.

15. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

The accidentally-released Albini mixes, right?

16. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

Ditto. I was shocked at how good this lp sounded. There are some lp's that get so much hype, then you listen and say why. Not this one. First time I heard it I was grinning from ear to ear.

17. nin

nin Forum Resident

Right. Sounds so great. :righton:

18. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Six months ago, I found Nevermind at my local indie store (which doesn't carry that many new releases) for only $20. I assumed they'd marked it down from $30, but maybe that's just what they sell it for. I need to see if they can special-order me Unplugged and In Utero at that price!

19. jerrej

jerrej Forum Resident

Hi,

Does the universal german In Utero contain '320'

'Gallons Of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip'

can you also get Incesticide '320' as this looks like also being re-released

cheers

jj

20. hauntologist

Another question: Can you identify these by simply the catalog #'s and the "Made in the EU" on the back? This thread has me itchin' to get "In Utero" and "Unplugged", too, but I doubt many stores would tear open a new record just to see if there's a "320" in the dead wax...

21. No.

No idea on that title till someone buys a copy and confirms in the deadwax...

22. Good question!

I've brought in and sold a number of them here in the store but have not asked the customers if '320' was in the deadwax.

All 3 of mine that I bought do.

Does anyone have a recent Geffen/Universal/UK on back cover, EU on label pressing of any of these 3 titles without the '320'?

23. karmapolice

i found the universal eu import nirvana nevermind and utero for $30 a piece at elusive which is cheaper than musicdirect. Hope it is in fact the right one!

24. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

If it's new, made in EU and has the DGC logo on it (rather than the Simply Vinyl logo), than it's a 320. Buy with confidence.

25. jerrej

jerrej Forum Resident

Thankyou:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.