CSN&Y "Deja Vu" CD Mastering Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack White, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member Thread Starter

Was the original CD release of "Deja Vu" by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young on the Atlantic label mastered by Barry Diament?

2. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Yes, and to me, it sounds the best. There are threads around here somewhere. There is an RE-1 that fixed some drop outs. No RE-1 on mine and I love it.

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

How Do You Know

How do you know if you have an original release of this CD/ I just found a used copy today. There is a bar code on it but there are two product codes showing SD19118-2 and Europe 250 001. Is this an original release CD?

Thanks

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The fixed version does *not* have RE-1.

Off the top of my head, some or all of the pressings from Germany have the dropouts. I *believe* all of the pressings for WEA in the US are "fixed".

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't know who remastered it for CD, but i still think the one to get for "deja vu" is the japanese HDCD.

i don't even know the catalog number anymore as i've never actually seen one, and when they used to show up on ebay they were ridiculously priced.

renny

p.s. i have heard a copy though and sounds great.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Really? That one is significantly brighter than any other issue I've ever heard.

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

That would be it.

8. peter

peter Senior Member

I have the Germany one, as described in this thread. I like it a lot. It has the drop-outs. I also had a U.S. made orig., which I thought sounded flat & lifeless. However, I sold it before I listened to see if it had any dropouts.

I have the JPN. HDCD disc. It IS indeed bright, but it still sounds very good to these ears. It would be hard for me to pick between the Germ. & the JPN. HDCD.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Can you post the matrix info and an EAC log? My German and USA copies are digitally identical other than the difference in dropouts.

10. peter

peter Senior Member

I can post the matrix info tonight, but EAC is beyond me. If you send me a PM on how to do this, maybe I can figure it out. However, I am sure you have seen/heard/played this German one, as the drop-outs were exactly where that old post/thread indicated they were.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't doubt that. However, I seem to remember that your matrix # may have been slightly different, i.e. ending in 01 instead of 03 or something. I would assume they are identical, but I wonder if perhaps the later issues (both my German issue and the US issue) were volume adjusted or otherwise altered.

I'll try and send a message about EAC tonight.

12. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

An easy EAC set-up guide... takes just a few minutes to do it:
    http://www.CardinalFang.com/eac/

I stole the guide from a now-defunct site. It's a good guide for setting up EAC for cataloging your music with secure results and log files.

I saw an early US pressing recently. Maybe I'll pick it up and see what I get. I've always been more of a Neil Young fan than a C, S or N fan (in any other combination) but I do like "Helpless." :D

13. peter

peter Senior Member

You have a better memory than I do. But, I will post tonight. And, thanks for the help on EAC. I too would like to try and nail this down.

14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

you did us all a great service by preserving that tutorial! thanks :thumbsup:

15. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I'll weigh in with my copies info:

Early German for US "GEMA" "Made in West Germany by Polygram" silver to center cd.
    SD 19118-2 EUROPE: 250 001
    No bar code
    Insert is 8 pages includes photos no mastering info.
    Matrix: (backwards but unreadable on other side) PS
    (forwards on play side) 7567 19118-2 2895 821 01 * F

Sounds like a late generation tape, but I understand that's the case with the early US for US as well. I assume Diament mastered this.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Here's the thread:

Pre-remaster Deja Vu CDs

My copy does end with "03" rather than "01". I'm wondering if there's a difference in the mastering or not.

17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

On further listening, it actually sounds quite good - some hiss (good), "4+20" is very dynamic. Very smooth, not a lot of bass, but it sounds very clear and non-fatiguing to my ears. Later in the day, it should have more bass, as my electricity is awful and the bass really comes out at night.

Ok, I do detect some dropout via lukpac's post in the other thread - thanks, lukpac.

Here's some of your post:

I hear exactly the same thing, but it doesn't ruin the experience. In fact, the vocals sound pretty good after the dropout issue is over.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Listen to these spots:

19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

My Deja Vu cd on Atlantic/SD 19118-2/25001
    Doesn't say who mastered but it says engineered by Bill Halverson. It sounds really good.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's the Diament CD (maybe fixed, maybe not).

21. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I have always enjoyed the version I have, and for the life of me- can't even remember when I bought it!

I just pulled it out, and see the SD19118-2 and Europe 250 001, and the barcode on the back. I have the 8 page booklet, and no mastering credit. By description- this is Barry's version.

I tried listening around the spots lited for dropouts, and can detect no loss at all on ANY of the spots listed. Guess mine is the fixed?

The coding on the inner ring of my disc is 19118-2 SRC 03.

Chris

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes. As far as I know, any SRC pressings (WEA Manufacturing) use the corrected master.

Ok, I knew I was interested in the 01 matrix CDs for a reason. From this post:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2889427&postcount=102

Thus the "01" and "03" discs are *not* digitally identical. It remains to be seen if the "03" disc (as well as the corrected SRC discs) is simply raised in level digitally, or if the masterings are totally different. This could help explain why Peter didn't like the US SRC pressing.

If somebody could provide me with a clip (FLAC or WAV) from the "01" disc I'd appreciate it. Just PM. I can help with EAC if necessary.

23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

As previously posted mine has the same product codes as listed above and the same booklet with no mastering credit. The coding on the inner ring of my disc though is 7567 19118-2 2895 821 03. There are two other markings on the inner ring separated from the numbers, they are AC and then Made In USA By PDO. Does anyone have any knowledge about what those inner ring markings would indicate in terms of versions?

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Based on what I know:

- PDO made CDs seem to all have the various dropouts
    - SRC made CDs seem to be digitally identical to the "03" PDO CDs, but with the dropouts fixed

25. peter

peter Senior Member

OK. Here are the details on my copy:

Back cover says "Printed in West Germany" at 6:00.

No bar-code on back cover.

Both U.S. & Europe cat. nos. are presen on the spine and at lower left corner of back cover, SD 11918-2 for USA and 250-001 for Europe.

CD is solid silver to center.

Matrix is 7567 18118-2 2895 821 03 *.

That's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.