"Henry Mancini PURE GOLD" CD from 1987. 24 minutes of heaven?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Before I forget, its RCA 3667-2-R.

So I was breaking in some gear this afternoon and I played one of my old standby disks, this Henry Mancini hits CD. Same song selection as the old LP of the same name but much more dynamic range (almost 30 db on some songs) and a nice, neutral mastering by Joe Lopes at the old RCA Studio in NYC. Same ugly cover as the LP but we don't care. We want the music.

The first five are the "soft songs", the second five the crowd pleasing/"all stops out" songs. 24 minutes. Short and sweet. Leaves you wanting more. So, start it over again.

I remind you of this great sounding disk because you can probably get this sucker for $2.00 out there and YOU SHOULD. It will show off your system, it will impress your friends and annoy your neighbors when you crank the Pink Panther Theme full blast and P. J.'s sax cracks a window or two. That's gotta be worth two bucks, right?

So you get MOON RIVER/DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES/CHARADE/MOMENT TO MOMENT/LOVE THEME FROM "ROMEO AND JULIET" as the first mellow five. Then, the show stoppers: THE PINK PANTHER THEME/MR. LUCKY/BABY ELEPHANT WALK/PETER GUNN THEME/IT HAD BETTER BE TONIGHT (from Pink Panther).

Recorded mainly at the old RCA-Victor "Music Center Of The World" Studios in Hollywood. Same place that the Stones recorded SATISFACTION and the Monkees, Airplane, etc. recorded their hits. I dunno, these Mancini cuts sound so damn good..... Too bad they didn't use his engineer to do the above mentioned rock hits (but that's another story). Point is, how can the same studio, same microphones and same mixing console sound so wonderful one day and so piss poor (SOMEBODY TO LOVE) the next. Heh.

Final thought before you grab this for cheap. Is PETER GUNN THEME the coolest riff song ever? I mean, it's so neat to hear. When I was in a band back in the 1970's our keyboard player knew the brass and reed parts and would play them on his Vox Continental organ while I played the riff (along with the bass player) on the guitar.

Dun dun dan dun dooing dun dan dun over and over again for two minutes. The song never changes chords, never stops, just keeps chugging that riff while the horns go more and more crazy like. It's harder to play than it might seem. You have to really concentrate to keep that little double fret "dooing" on the fifth note over and over. It's like you become part of the music by playing the same 8 notes over and over again. It's pretty intense. Wish I had a recording of us doing it. It's so sucky bad it was pretty good.

I forgot all about Henry Mancini until 1987 when I was sitting in a diner in Santa Monica with Diana Reid Haig (one of those fake-o 1950's style retro diners) and she suddenly started looking through our table top juke box song selection. She pulled out a quarter and said: "Get a load of this".

She had picked "PETER GUNN THEME" by Henry Mancini and it started playing in the diner from a red label reissue RCA-Victor 45. It started gaining momentum and by midway I could hear the old four-tube optical limiter kick in and spatter the horns up against the percussion section. Wow the entire diner was rockin' by the end. I remember almost standing up and screaming "WHOOO!" It was that intense.

Right after that I discovered this CD and have been happy ever since.

At any rate, if you do not have the above CD, I suggest you get it. Don't confuse it with later versions that have more songs, remxed with wonky balances, too much midrange and wacky compression. THIS is the one to get...

Over and out!

2. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Joe Lopes. :righton:

3. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Lowest current price on Amazon is $1.74.

Attached Files:

4. Steve Hoffman

That's the baby. So much pleasure for so little money.

audiomixer likes this.
  5. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

Just snagged this one off of Amazon for 2 bucks. Thanks for the link.

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Got it. Thank you! :wave:

I've been happy with a Darcy Proper mastered CD. I had to get this one though. It has the SH seal of approval. :)

7. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I've been pleased with most Mancini discs, really. I've never heard a mastering of his stuff that was all that bad (although I haven't checked out the more recent comps).

I'll be checking this one out too.

8. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

IIRC, the Peter Gunn Theme was recorded at Radio Recorders by Bones Howe. There's too much reverb on the stereo version, it sounds much better on the mono LP (I can't believe I just said that!)

And, Steve, if there's one artist that needs their catalog on CD revamped, it's Henry Mancini's RCA LPs.

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I have a couple of GH collections. One was pretty awful... remixed and NR'd. The other was great.

10. BradF

BradF Senior Member

Love Mancini. Thanks for the tip. Found one cheap at Amazon.ca.

11. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

That was the first Mancini CD I bought. Still have it. My Dad loved "Baby Elephant Walk." I made him a mix tape with that and a bunch of other 40/50s/60s instrumentals.

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Snagged it. Thanks Steve.

13. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on this one! I've been wanting a Mancini disc and had my eye on this one ... my mind if made up now!

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have Dennis Drake's "Instrumental Favorites" compilation on Mancini for the CD and that is great although it omits Baby Elephant Walk and a few other tracks on the Pure Gold comp, but I have that on vinyl LP comps. I should get this CD as well sometime, and still keep my Dennis Drake compilation. Henry Mancini Pure Gold should be on a 180g vinyl disc.

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Just like your Buddy Holly "For The First Time Anywhere" CD - I must have played that sucker 20 times the day I received it in the post a couple of weeks ago.

There's certainly something to be said for short albums :agree:

16. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Steve, what is your opinion on the original "The Pink Panther" 2795-2-R
    I think it sounds great.

17. BradOlson

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Al Schmitt recorded the Mancini stuff, right?

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I grew up on both Peter Gunn lps as a child. Now, I have the domestic RCA cd of the first one and an import of the second with choice Mr Lucky bonus tracks (and the Theme from Experiment in Terror!!). Both sound heavenly and feature Pete Candoli, one of my favorite trumpet players.

I've always wanted to get the theme from Charade, in the non vocal version. I love the way it opens with the 'morse code' and a dark mood, then those strings just floor you on the bridge.

I have a soft spot for his amazing soundtrack to the movie The Molly Maguires, starring Sean Connery. I saw the set whilst filming; it wasn't far from where my parents grew up. It's a very passionate score, with some Irish sounding music that doesn't sound condescending and the theme is very beautiful and sweeping.

Good pick, Steve!

20. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

"Baby Elephant Walk" warms my heart every time I hear it. I remember hearing it on the radio and on juke boxes many times over back in 1962, I've loved that song ever since. Brilliant, and the "good evening friends" coda shows that Mr. Mancini had a wonderful sense of humor and humility as well. I have one of the later comps but I may need to grab this one based on Steve's recs. :righton:

21. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Most of it, along with Jim Malloy and Mickey Crawford.

22. Steve Hoffman

You heard Lawrence Welk's hit version on the radio.

audiomixer likes this.
  23. BradOlson

Mancini's original version of Baby Elephant Walk is superior to the Lawrence Welk version, IMO.

audiomixer likes this.
  24. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That's also a keeper, and shouldn't be ignored, and(despite missing a few key cuts)is one of the better sounding Mancini comps.

I agree that PURE GOLD has fine sound, but it just doesn't have enough music. 24 minutes only makes you horny for a lot more, because Mancini had a lot of beauties scattered here there & everywhere.

As for "Peter Gunn": big radio hit for Ray Anthony, not for Hank; to make up for it, the PETER GUNN album sold a million, stayed on the charts for over two years...and is great fun. The mono single is The Mix, although the stereo booms out pretty well too(but isn't the mother the mono is).

:ed:

25. Steve Hoffman

Three different mixes. The stereo, the mono LP version and the mono 45 version. Over the years they have been so mixed up that it's impossible to judge what has been used to cut, where.

Like Bobby Darin's MACK THE KNIFE 45 on Atco. So many recuts were needed that they were pulling all sorts of wrong tapes to recut the thing. I've seen legit Atco 45's with the stereo "far mike" version folded to mono, etc. There is even an Atco pressing that uses JUST THE RIGHT CHANNEL of the stereo version on the 45 recut. Urggh. Dreadful.

So same thing with PETER GUNN. I bet the "Gold Standard Series" 45 reissue on either the dark brown or red label would be the killer one.

I'd love to work on a Mancini comp. The 40 copies it would sell probably wouldn't buy our lunch in the mastering room though..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.