Mission: Metallica (teaser)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

http://www.missionmetallica.com/

Official website live today!

Looks good to me. I like the "fly on the wall" type stuff. I'm thinking this will be the biggest rock release of '08. Rumors are album will be released in September.

3. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Those little bits sounded pretty good. Here's to hoping.

4. PaulKTF

Agreed! I like those a lot more than the St. Anger material already.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

There is a great riff at 0:41 of the youtube video. Immediately following that sounds like a great track with the vocal "Bow down, sell your soul to me" :evil:

6. Paul L

Paul L Forum Resident

Oh yeah, now this is sounding promising:righton: Can't wait till Sept

7. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

:goodie:

I am seeing them live in 2 months

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Looks like the rumor of a September release is factual. I was in Times Square last week, and the Billabong store has a giant display out front with a photo of the band and "New Album Coming in September" reference :cool:

9. oldschool

Maybe a hint on the new album cover? From the official website:

[​IMG]

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

That looks pretty cool. I guess "CC" would be some sort of shorthand for the album title.

I still like the 4-M ninja star better, but this is an interesting visual.

11. oldschool

Actually, to me it looks more like the cover of some electronic music album.. We'll see how it will turn up.

There's a 200-post discussion at the Metallica forums :D

12. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Now here's something I noticed when I visited the Metallica site yesterday. Perhaps you can help decode this. Is the vinyl LP going to be the full album, or a box set containing outtakes, throwaways, etc?

Here's why I ask - the vinyl album is going to be 5 LPs. Five records.

Is that really going to be the full album? I've been giddy at the thought that this would really be the case, and this is the reason it's taken them so damned long. It's never encouraging when a long-running rock band spends a year and a half making a studio album. By this point, they should be churning them out in their sleep. Lack of chemistry? Lack of inspiration? Have they simply grown too old? All questions, no answers, and to be perfectly honest my expectations aren't very high.

So, again, you can imagine my excitement at the sight of a 5-LP release. That would certainly be one hell of a surprise. Any thoughts?

13. PaulKTF

Let's see.. a 5 LP release would translate to roughly 3.75 hours of music.. or enough for a 3 CD set... hmmm...

14. jimmyjo

jimmyjo New Member

I have a feeling it will be the album only, pressed on 180-gram vinyl (45 RPM).

As for that mysterious logo/illustration, the C's look like the N in the Bonaroo logo. I think it is probably an illustration for an event shirt. That's my guess.

15. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Why would you think that?

16. jimmyjo

jimmyjo New Member

A) They've mentioned that only 10 songs will be on the album- with the rest of the finished tracks to be used in other outlets (think Japanese b-sides and i-Tunes);

B) http://www.missionmetallica.com/store/ says 5-LP box 180-gram in individual sleeves.

If taken literally, it sounds like 5 full-length albums (LP=Long-play), but I believe this should be construed as 5 discs. To spread 10 songs over 5 discs would mean 1 per side, probably at 45 rpm, not 33 1/3 (that would be a lot of dead wax). I think that sounds a little over the top, but it makes more sense than 3.5 hours of Metallica on this record.

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I can't read those forums anymore, too much bashing and juvenille conversation :shake:

A 5LP set for just album material seems a bit extreme, but I think it will happen like that. The upcoming ...Justice For All LP will be 4 discs @ 45rpm. Add two more songs (Justice has 8) and you gotcha 5 discs.

As for why it has taken them another 5 year spell between albums, I think it just boiled down to changing priorities. They are all fathers, married, etc. I know they enjoy taking 6-months off to spend with their families. Instead of churning out a recording/writing session over 2 months, they take almost 2 years because of four (half) day work weeks, etc. And that's a luxury they've afforded themselves. Sucks for fans, but if I was as financially set as any of them, I can't say I'd be in a hurry to do something that I could just as easily take my time on and spend more of my days with the wife + kids.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Another part of that logo revealed (?) today:

[​IMG]

19. For The Love

For The Love Active Member

I'm very excited about the upcoming release from these guys. I hope the album is as good as what I've heard on the site.

20. monks dream

monks dream New Member

So what does everyone think Rick Rubin will bring to to table as far as producing the album?

21. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

22. jimmyjo

jimmyjo New Member

I think Mr. Rubin has brought his b-s detector in a big way.

Hopefully, his b-s detector also picks up self-indulgence- something I think Metallica has been guilty off and on (mostly on) for studio work released in the past 12 years. Load and Reload could have been whittled down to one really killer album with an accompanying EP, IMO.

My hope is that he made the band find the essence of the "song" in each track and not let them go crazy with riffs for the sake of riffery. That's not to say I want stripped-down, one-riff songs, but I felt that St. Anger was way too repetitive with the lyrics and some of the musical arrangements seemed slapped together. Granted, their slapped-together songs are still better than a lot of what has been played on the rock and metal stations in the past 5 years, but I think they are capable of better than that.

In September, we will see.

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Notice how Rubin never appears in the Mission:Metallica promo videos? I watched one the other day (I have a subsciption to the site) and they ask "What would Rick think?" and show a paper cutout of Rick's face with blinking red lights for eyes :laugh:

I think Rubin will be a good thing. Things got too comfortable with Bob Rock, to the point he was a member of the band for St. Anger.

I am really enjoying the snippets of songs/riffs I hear on Mission:Metallica. However, the live/demo versions of "Vulturous" and "Death Is Not The End" (working titles) has not impressed me. They just sound like a bunch of riffs slapped together with weak vocals. I am pretty sure DINTE will make it on the album, based on the large amount of clips showing the band working on the track. They appear to have slowed it down, and hopefully improved the structure. Time will tell!

24. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Ever since St. Anger I've been sure their next record would actually be good... I expect another Load, and I wonder if there'll be some speed, like in some St. Anger tracks...

I'm looking forward to it...

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If any of you have access to the paid portion of Mission:Metallica site, they are streaming Metallica's live performance at Bonnaroo live right now :agree:

Sounds and looks great, maybe this show will get an official release?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.