Legendary recording engineer Larry Levine, RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

One of my good friends and one of the most legendary recording engineers in pop music history has died, Larry Levine. His wife Lyn has written:

Dearest Family and Friends,

It is my sad task to inform you that Larry passed away peacefully in his sleep during the night. He often told me when the quality of his life was diminished, he would be on his way.

He left us on his 80th birthday. It is ironic that the house is beginning to fill with flowers for him. For those of you that sent him birthday cards, they will go with him.

For a quiet kind of guy, the spotlight always found him. He was a legend not only to the world, but to his family and friends. He will be missed.

Jos wrote:

Larry Levine is responsible for some of the greatest classic rock recordings of all time. As Phil Spector's longtime engineer, he helped craft the "wall of sound" that made records by The Ronettes and other Spector artists sonically unique. Levine also manned the board for numerous Beach Boys albums, including the legendary "Pet Sounds," as well as Ike and Tina Turner's famed "River Deep, Mountain High." He has also recorded Herb Alpert, The Righteous Brothers, Billy Eckstine and The Ramones.

Larry also was the 1965 Grammy-award winning recording engineer for "A Taste Of Honey" (Herb Alpert)....

Let's keep him in our minds for all the great things he did to music.... :thumbsup:

Gort Jos, the press was notified and I know you were holding off on this until that happened so I am going to post this thread. I know you started one as well but please let me do the honors here.

Tuesday morning breakfast will not be the same without Larry, his modesty, cantankerous humor, wonderful stories about recording the Phil Spector and Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass hits and we will miss his gentleness and kindness.

A sad day but he was active until the end (he was at breakfast on Tuesday) and his accomplishments in recording the music we love will live on.

RIP, Larry.

You can see Larry in the top shot at our Tuesday Morning Gold Star/Vine Street Irregulars Breakfast. Larry is on the left and has his "Hey, don't take my picture, dude" face on..:) These vets of the music biz (Stan "Choo Choo" Ross, the late Mel Levin, Dave Gold, Randy Van Horne, Hal Blaine, Fred Darian, etc.) are great guys and welcomed youngsters like Kevin Gray and I into their group with open arms.

Attached Files:

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

He taught us how it's supposed to be done. RIP :(

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear this. I loved his work. My condolences to his family. RIP.

Todd

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This is sad news. RIP. Thanks for your important contributions to music, Larry.

5. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Can someone point him out in the pictures, please?

thank you.

6. My love for the Phil Spector/Sonny Bono/Brian Wilson/Larry Levine records cannot be expressed by words.

I'm sorry to hear the news, I hope he was feeling okay and happy until those last moments.

Below picture is Larry Levine, Phil Spector and Nino Tempo (edit by SH).

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

I am very sorry to learn of Larry's passing. He contributed much to the world of music and much more that I am obviously not aware of. Rest in peace Larry. My condolences to his family, friends, colleagues and admirers.

Bob-:cry:

8. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I'm so sorry to hear of Larry's passing. He leaves a great legacy. My deepest sympathies to friends and family on their loss.

9. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Another great goes to the studio in the sky. May he RIP and thanks for all the great music.

10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

My condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues.

12. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Oh NO! Geez. R.I.P Larry and thanks for those wonderful ears that brought us so many great records. :cry:

13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Very sorry to hear this; and very grateful for his work.

14. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Rock & Roll Heaven indeed.
    R.I.P Larry.

15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Very sorry to hear of this. RIP.

16. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Other than the Boss here, it don't get much better. RIP.

17. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I'm sorry to here this. Thank you for all the wonderful music you cut through the years.

RIP

:cry:

18. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Another of my heroes gone. RIP, Larry! Thanks for all the great records!!

19. thorbs

thorbs Active Member

RIP Larry!! Thanks for the music and care you gave for all those years. Rest now.

20. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I'm sorry to hear this. Larry was one of the best.

RIP. :(

21. Very sad news, RIP Larry.

22. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident

Amazing. I've just been listening to Herb Alpert's "Going Places" for the first time in a while, and then I read this. Larry, you done good!

J. D.

23. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

I'm sorry for your loss, Steve. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. I am going to spin Pet Sounds tonight in his honor. RIP, Larry, and thank you!

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Wow, quite a loss. I'm so sorry to hear this. I love that big, textured sound he could get. One of the masters at engineering from back in the day, able to do his work quite artfully...

Steve, my condolences to you and Larry's family. :angel:

25. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Active Member

Sad news indeed. I always thought that Larry was as much responsible for the sound of the Tijuana Brass as Herb Alpert was. Loved the South Of The Border album's sound. He will be missed. :cry:

Capt. Bacardi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.