RCA Living Stereo SACD with different DSD and Redbook Layers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jim Pattison, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone else have the RCA Living Stereo SACD of Tchaikovsky's Pathetique Symphony? I ordered it (and a few others) from Amazon.ca a couple of months ago. It ended up in my 'recent arrivals' pile and I never got around to listening to it until today.

Imagine my surprise when I put the disc in my SACD player and heard Can's 'Rite Time'! I switched to the Redbook layer, and heard what I expected to hear - the Boston Symphony Orchestra conducted by Pierre Monteux, playing Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6, Op. 74 in B Minor.

I checked SA-CD.net, as well as the reviews on Amazon, but no one mentions the fact that the DSD and Redbook layers are two completely different albums.

The catalog number on the disc itself and on the back page of the booklet is 82876-61397-2. The number on the insert adds the suffix RE1.

Unfortunately, it's been more than 30 days since I received this, so I can't return it for a refund.

Does anyone else have one of these? If I go out and buy a second copy, what are my chances of getting another defective one? Has anyone reported similar problems with any of the other Living Stereo SACDs?

2. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Have this title, not sure which layer I played though, cheapo Pioneer universal player was acting up at time, since replaced w/ an OPPO.
    Please clarify for me, is this "CAN" you mention the euro rock group?
    Will try my disc again soon and get back to you.

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Wow they got their boo-boo priorities all wrong too!

Tests show you can't hear any difference though, so enjoy it! :winkgrin:

...But seriously folks, as Walsh said. The disc I heard was ok. Perhaps you could call the folks at Acoustic Sounds? They might be aware of this if it's wide spread. If it's not and they have a good copy, these discs go at great value prices so you should be able to get a new one and sell the old with little lost. Sound like a plan? :)

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Checked my copy, both layers are fine :thumbsup:

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

+1

6. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

7. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I've got it and I'll have to check. To be honest, I've never listened to them back to back. I always intend to do a couple of double blinds, but never get around to it.

8. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

:D :thumbsup:

9. zabby

zabby Forum Resident

I just ran into the same problem. I ordered this disc from CD Universe. In the end, I went through three copies and never got a good one. I think Amazon and CD Universe both rely on distributor stock. It's possible Acoustic Sounds has a stash of these discs from a good batch.

Jeff

10. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies.

It's nice to get confirmation that there are some good copies out there. I guess I'd better replace this - and pick up some of the other Living Stereo SACDs - while I still can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.