Jethro Tull - A Passion Play or WarChild or Minstrel In The Gallery or Too Old To...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

Minstrel is my fave Tull - no poll - looking for views too.

2. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

out of those 3 'Minstrel' wins easily for me!

btomarra likes this.
  3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

A third for Minstrel. I like the two hits on Warchild more than any particular track on Minstrel, but the rest of the album doesn't hold up that well.

BTW, how are the Warchild bonus tracks, and are they unique to the reissue? Having the MoFi and Quad reel to reel I never thought to buy the remaster.

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

A Passion Play easy. Minstrel I've always found a bit boring :hide:
    Too Old To Rock....eh, not as bad as it was made out to be, but not in the same galaxy as their best work.

5. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Minstrel is my favourite Tull track but I'll plump for WarChild.

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

+1,000 :righton:

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Love Warchild. Hum that opening tune....mmmm...

8. user19351

user19351 Active Member

Minstrel In the Gallery is the real deal. Killer.

Passion Play doesn't resonate with me like Thick As A Brick. War Child and Too Old have some nice moments but don't blow me away.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Warchild Waltz - ??
    Quartet - Nightcap
    Paradise Steakhouse - Nightcap
    Sealion 2 - Nightcap
    Rainbow Blues - MU
    Glory Row - Repeat
    Saturation - 20 Years Of Jethro Tull

Paradise Steakhouse is great, Sealion 2 is a fun curiosity featuring Jeffrey. I don't know the non-Nightcap cuts.

10. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

I love A Passion Play, but I got to give the nod to Minstrel, just too damn good... Title track, Cold wind, Black Satin Dancer kicks asss... and then there is side too, i mean One white duck has to be one of the most intensely personal Anderson tracks... and Baker Street Muse as well.. simply stunning...

The other two (APP and Warchild have their virtues, and killer cuts, but overall Minstrel takes the prize, (2O2RnR doesn't even rate with these three:shake: ...)

This is one killer rock and roll album, very well balanced, with the mellower side of Tull in full flowering... Ian at his most intensely personal... a 5* record...

:cheers:

11. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I like Passion Play better than the others. Twenty years ago I would have had a different opinion - but the MFSL CD made me appreciate it even more.

Next would be Warchild. I think the songs on Minstel are better, but the US vinyl (of which I've owned 3 copies) always sounded so >compressed< that I had to imagine dynamics that really weren't there (never heard any CD issue).

Too Old was a dissapointment then and never revealed any magic to me up to this day. Give me Songs from the Wood or Heavy Horses instead.

12. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Passion Play for me.

13. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Minstrel is my fave, er, post-Aqualung Tull album :D; I favour 60's Tull ultimately (Stand Up, Benefit etc.) Were a Martian to visit Earth and demand of me the most representative Jethro Tull album, Minstrel In The Gallery would be what I'd give him.*

*However, his actual mission here would probably be to demand we stop beaming so much bad TV and radio into the Solar System. :D

14. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Minstrel!
    I have never been able to get into A Passion Play. Maybe it's high time I gave it another chance.
    War Child and Too Old ... meh.

I couldn't have said it any better myself! Although simply stunning or perhaps stunning in its simplicity would be how I might describe Grace as I don't find Baker St. Muse to be terribly simple ;)

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

A Passion Play

But side 2 of both A Passion Play and Minstrel in the Gallery are amazing.

16. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Passion Play is my favorite, with Minstrel a close second. However, I am starting to warm up to Warchild more and more.

17. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Minstrel.

18. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Minstrel, I've never liked Passion Play. Too Old to Rock..is vastly underrated. War Child is half a good album, the additional bonus tracks vastly improve its quality especially "Rainbow Blues"; "Glory Row" & "Saturation".

19. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Passion Play BY FAR! That album was the last of a string of innovative, hard-hitting, perfect and near-perfect albums, starting with Stand Up. The next two on your list is where I think JT started to stagnate a bit. They got better as players perhaps, and their live shows were still incredible, but they started to recycle lyrical themes and the music sounded patched together and less inspired to me.

TOTR&R seemed like a conscious style change, but wasn't as successful as the next two albums.

20. stevef

stevef Senior Member

Minstrel In The Gallery.
    One of Tull's finer albums, one which I wish MFSL had also done.
    And it may have been improved by the five additional bonus tracks on the expanded remaster, three of the best tracks come from the OOP 20 Years of Jethro Tull box: "Summerday Sands", "March The Mad Scientist", and "Pan Dance".
    I also love the cover art. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

21. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I was never into Jethro Tull, but I did have Minstrel in the Gallery as an LP, and remembered it fondly enough to rebuy it a few years ago on cd.

Love the verbal play, and methinks, the medieval vibes :)

I also got Too Old to Rock and Roll, and a Christamas album.

22. Warchild has the most generous bonus tracks of all the remasters. It was real nice that they included Glory Row and Rainbow Blues, saving me the need to buy those those hits collections again on cd.

My favorite is still Minstrel though. :)

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Thanks. So the question for me is, do I want to buy a redundant inferior mastering just to have Warchild Waltz? I wonder if it's available from i-Tunes...

24. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Minstrel! Amazing album. Love staring at that cover art! Great bonus tracks too on the CD!

Oh, and Baker Street Muse contains everything that makes Tull awesome!

:righton:

M321115 likes this.
  25. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Isn't it 4?

I love the title track on Minstrel but I didn't like anything else on the album. That was when I stopped buying Tull albums, so I'm not familiar with "Too Old". Passion Play never made much of an impression on me. 'War Child' isn't great but is easily my favorite of the 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.