Another counterfeit CD? Japanese issue of The Family (Prince)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Check the disc being offered here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320247977521

It was brought to my attention that this seller has been offering several copies of this rare, highly desired CD in perfect condition. That in and of itself is suspicious, but see the disc being offered. It has the wide sort of mirror band that we have seen on fake Abbey Road CDs.

Does anyone here have a legit copy? If so, could you please confirm whether or not the copy currently on eBay is a fake?

Attached Files:

2. Sorry, don't have my copy anymore....sold it on ebay a couple years ago for around $100 !

Does seem odd that someone would have multiple copies of this though...

3. KeithH

One has to be suspicious when a seller shows up with several copies of an otherwise rare and premium-priced disc. Also consider that the seller claims that this copy of The Family is "perfect". It's "perfect" but not wrapped and has no OBI strip. Every copy he has offered has come this way.

All of the above said, I am hoping that someone with an indisputably legitimate copy will chime in.

4. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I've been looking at this disc, and noticed that it was the same seller as a previous auction. I asked him why he had so many copies:

Yeah, darn that shrink wrap. :rolleyes:

5. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member

Looks like it's fake.Small matrix numbers is not usuall for japanese cds.

6. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

This looks like a fake , the jewel case would not have that little nipple on the back and
    front ( of course unless he replaced the jewel case).

Do the japanese pressings all have that red circle ?
    The Paisley park logo on the cd also seems too big to me

7. I'm not seeing this, can you be more specific?

-s1m0n-

8. KeithH

And there you have it. That disc on Yahoo! looks right. The copy on eBay must be a fake.

Thanks, Simon!

9. KeithH

Exactly. The mirror band looked all wrong to me.

10. KeithH

He can't shrinkwrap them unless he were to print up fake OBI strips, so yes, the shrinkwrap fell off every copy...and took the OBI strips with it. :rolleyes:

11. screw_squirrel

screw_squirrel Forum Resident

I confirm this is the good one. I have the same for at least 10 years. bought new at "la FNAC" in Paris.

12. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Thats a very good fake and would fool most people. It looks as if only the mrrior band is wrong. Though difficult to make out the matrix.

All the printing seems to have been done at exactly the right angles to one another.

That must have been some shop as he managed to buy a lot of Bob Seger- Ramblin Gamblin cd's, Prince- The Gold album, Hendrix Crash Landing and various Elvis discs.

13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

It would fool me! I'm not familiar with the artist as well so that is another factor.

Anthony

14. Good spotting that fake Keith, sorry I spelled yer name wrong in my post :o

-s1m0n-

15. KeithH

No biggie. :)

16. KeithH

Thank you.

It does look like a good fake. If one were able to compare it side by side to a real copy, other differences might become readily apparent. For example, these fakes often have cheap inserts (poor color reproduction, flimsy paper, etc.). It is also possible that the red on the disc is not a good match.

17. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I posted links to this thread over in the Housequake forums.

Somebody replied and said that the disc in the Yahoo Family Auction is a promo. That's the japanese characters in the center portion of the disc.

[​IMG]

Still, there's no legit reason the disc in the eBay auction would have a wider mirrorband, correct?

18. ispace

ispace Senior Member

And he's still selling copies of this fake. Has anyone reported him to eBay?

19. I'll see if I have time, haven't reported a bad seller on the Bay in a long time. :o

-s1m0n-

20. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I have this CD complete w/obi strip. Alas, I'm out of town this weekend so can't compare...

21. Karl Cross

Karl Cross New Member

Sorry, late in on this.. I've owned this for around 15 years...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.