Kate Bush Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MaximilianRG, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know if any pressings of This Womans Work (cd) come with the original UK cover art for The Kick Inside? Mine has the cover that looks like its a western album, wich I guess is the US version.

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

My UK copy has the "Kite" cover.

3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

They all do.

But the best cover is the original Japan cover. :love:

4. MaximilianRG

My box set has the cover with the close-up wearing red boots. Kind of annoying... If I were to look at this in a record store without knowing what it was, I'd think it was country music.

I think my copy is canadian.

5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The cover you have is the orignal US LP cover. (BTW, she's wearing red socks not boots in the photo). The orignal Canadian album cover was the "hands on head" pose.

BTW, the Japanese cover mentioned earlier, IIRC, is the pink tank-top/ bosum photo. I think the Canadian cover is actually more sensual.

Attached Files:

6. MaximilianRG

Ugh... why does the US record companies fool around with album covers like that? They did it to the Bee Gees 2nd and 3rd albums too, and the first 2 Yes albums. I always like the UK ones better. Drives me bonkers.

7. doubleknotspy

doubleknotspy Forum Resident

I have the Japanese version of the box and it has the tank-top cover.

8. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

The Kite cover is the "correct" one for me. The others are all nice publicity shots of a very beautiful Kate, but they're not album-cover worthy for The Kick Inside in my opinion. They just look wrong.
    Cheers :)

Steve

auralden likes this.
  9. ... but not as sensual as your Avatar. :D ;)

10. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Yep, that's the one I have. For full effect, see the booklet in the very limited edition box set package of "Never For Ever". :love:

11. butch

butch Senior Member

The Canadian cover sucks!You guys have great hockey players,bacon and hot women but this cover?Kate looks like a monster from Hammer Horror on it!That would have been a nice cover for the "Hammer Horror" Single!She has monster-like hands in this pose!The American one is not as good as the UK original BUT the pose is hot,so that excuses that!

12. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Mmmmmm... Kate in red stockings...........

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

It's just too bad they put sooooooo much make-up on her face in that red socks shot.

14. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

For my $$, the original Japan cover is the best of the four different choices:

Attached Files:

15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

She is lovely in that one, but I'm kinda partial to the artsy kite-Kate version on the EMI.

16. To me the correct cover has always been the kite image even if thats not the first one that I owned (I had the head in hands vinyl...)

The pic on the Japanese release is a great shot no doubt about it but there's no way in my mind that htat's the cover to this album.

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That was the cover on the original Aussie LP release. It's the one I've always known. I also have the Japanese CD as jsayers showed - that's the best digital sound.

18. MaximilianRG

I think the "Kite" cover represents the music better than the others. Not just because there is a song called "Kite" but because the cover is just as unique and adventurous than the music contained in it.

19. Mr Tudball

Mr Tudball New Member

I bought the US Lp shortly after hearing the HOL album in 1985, and I think the US cover might have prejudiced me against the music. Where I found Hounds to be contemporary, cutting edge, and adventurous, my first impression of The Kick Inside was that it was hippie singer songwriter "granola" music! When I got "Kick" on cd, it was with the kite cover. Whether it was because I had had more exposure to her music by that time (her voice is much different on 'Kick' than on "Hounds"), or that the cover was more in line with my perception of Kate as a unique artist (the US cover,IMO, gives the impression that she should sound like your typical mid '70's female singer/songwriter), I suddenly found myself really liking the album--and still do.

20. MaximilianRG

I think Kate looks ever so slightly asian on that japanese cover...

21. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Besides The Kick Inside, the Japanese version of This Woman's Work also has alternate cover art for Never for Ever, an expanded detail from the lower right corner of the original cover.

22. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'm ashamed to say it, but besides buying the Japanese cd boxed set when it came out, which I still have, I also had the vinyl box. I sold it long ago, but I kept the lp-sized booklet with all those beautiful pictures in all thier full 12" by 12" glory. Who knows how much that complete vinyl set would be worth now....:sigh:

23. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

I couldn't find that alternate Never for Ever cover online, so I just cropped down an image of the standard cover. This is pretty much what it looks like. I think it's unique to this box set -- other Japanese LPs and CDs use the usual art -- and I'm not sure why it was done. Maybe someone thought having all those creatures stream out from under Kate's skirt was too indelicate. The altered art is, at least, in keeping with the Japanese title for the album: Ma monogatari, or "Demon Tale."

Attached Files:

24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think that this alternate cover is also available on the Japanese first pressing. But I'm not at home now so I cannot double check...

25. MaximilianRG

Ugh... why and how can anyone have the nerve to fool around with album covers of good music. What is the purpose?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.