Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily 24KT Gold CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mdekoning, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdekoning

mdekoning Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anybody heard the gold CD release of this album? I already have the DVD audio release which I really love, but I want to be able to play the album in the car stereo and on my discman. Is this gold CD the one to go for, or should I just pick up the regular CD which is quite cheap these days? Please note that I'm looking for a CD release and not a vinyl copy, so please don't start praising the recent 45 RPM vinyl pressing.

2. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Quite honestly, for the car and a discman I'd get the regular CD that's always dirt cheap. The sound quality is good, and the price is great.

Or, buy the gold disc and burn a CD-R for the car/discman.

3. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I haven't heard the gold disc, but the regular CD actually sounds quite good.

scorp997 likes this.
  4. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

2GON2G...

I'd vote for buying the gold disc, then burning a Cd-r for the car. You're obviously a fan of the album (me too :righton: ) and the Gold disc will serve you sweetly the rest of your life, and that way, no regrets in the future, i.e. "I should of bought the MFSL Gold Cd back in 2008"...

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I purchased the gold cd and it sounds a little better. The regular cd does sound very good though. I like the packaging on the MFSL and maybe someday it might be worth some money...

6. mdekoning

Let me just add that the CD isn't just for the discman or car stereo, having a good CD copy to play at home in regular stereo is always great.

7. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Yes, of all the titles that could really use an audiophile remastering treatment, this ain't one of them. The stock redbook aluminum pressing sounds really good.

8. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I think the normal cd sounds better than the gold cd. I don't think it is worth paying the extra price for the gold. I also like the DVD-A for the surround.

9. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I have the gold CD and vinyl 45....the gold CD is great. :righton:

10. mdekoning

Thanks for all of your comments, I think I'll get a copy of the gold CD.

11. wangch32

wangch32 Senior Member

cd

I agree, I like the original over the gold

12. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Personally I like the gold disc over the original.

13. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

I don't think you will regret that decision, no matter the lack of consensus here... I curious though, poster above, why you like the regular Cd better...

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The sound is very close, with the Gold CD having a slight edge. Whether that's worth the extra money is your decision. You could find the regular CD used very cheap though.

Evan

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

If you are talking about the Mobile Fidelity Gold CD then I think it is worth a shot as they have been very consistently good in terms of sonics.

16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

the original cd is better than the gold, but the vinyl is better than both cds?
    why they dont use the original master tapes?

17. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Who said they didn't?

18. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

some says here that normal cd sounds better some dont... maybe is a modern release so the gold mofi dont make a lot difference...
    and is not from the original master tapes becuase is the SILVER line of mofi, in the top dont say "original master recording" says "mobile sound lab"...

19. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Oh?

[​IMG]

20. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

oh!!! sorry I was confused, I was remember see it with "mobile fidelity sound lab"
    so great!!! is from master tapes etc...

21. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

I have never thought this album sounded particularly good with any mastering. Always sonically kind of 'flat' to me. Love the guitar work though.

22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes guitar work is great,
    I hate 45 RPMs 4 sides but well I think I will go for the vinyl...

23. cevans121

cevans121 Forum Resident

The 45 RPMs version is one of my favorite albums to spin. Sounds amazing! I wish someone would issue the 10'000 Maniacs MTV Unplugged on vinyl.

FashionBoy likes this.
  24. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

I concur — the 45 RPM MoFi is a pretty gorgeous listen.

25. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I just saw Natalie in concert in Pittsburgh last night. She mentioned that she had just re-recorded "Tigerlily" with a string-quartet for release in 2015 for its 20th (!) anniversary. She said Nonesuch was enthusiastic about releasing it.

cevans121 and GroovinGarrett like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.