Elton John's Greatest Hits Vinyl and Rocket Man

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doug B., Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member Thread Starter

So I decided to experiment again with a needle drop going straight from my receiver to my DAP, and happened to come upon an album which my aunt "let me borrow" (as if she'll ever get it back ;) ) and thought I'd give it a spin. Now, I don't have SH's Greatest Hits remaster, but I do have "Elton John Greatest Hits 1970-2002" Mercury Records 2CD album with which to compare.

I don't know when this album was played last, but it must have been, and pardon the pun..A long, long time. So I cleaned it of course, to the best of my and the D4 with brush's abilities. Aside from the ton of hiss, pops and clicks, once the music got going full throttle, it sounded really wonderful ! Much more clarity and spacial dynamics than I though I'd hear, and really puts the CD to shame in those respects.

However, in the midst of playing Rocket Man, I thought I heard something weird. Something I had not heard before. What I heard, and continue to hear, are loud, spiky ticks, but not like those you'd expect a tic to sound like on an LP, because these were totally in sync with the music, as if I was hearing a metronome click that wasn't muted ! In comparing this with the CD version in Audacity, there are several well defined peaks on the vinyl version in comparison, and they're easy to spot as well. Look here:

[​IMG]

Underlined in red, are the incriminating bits which really confuse me. Is it percussion that has been transformed somehow perhaps ? The only way to tell I guess, is to hear it, so here's a clip I made (wav 4 megs) of the evidence.

The clicking starts between 9 and 10 seconds, and becomes very prevalent at 16 seconds for 2 beats, stops for one beat, then continues at 18 seconds until the 22 second mark. The clicks seem to be riding on top of the high hat and sometimes on the down beat at the beginning of each measure.

What do you guys make of this ?

Here The password is shf

Thanks,

Doug

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Well, I couldn't listen to the sound sample you posted. After clicking on various links and going through a few pages only to be told that I still needed to sign in or create an account or some such thing, I gave up.

Based on what you posted, however, I simply think that what you're hearing is due to a defect in the vinyl that might just coincidentally seem to be in synch with the music. I've had this song on a 45, on the original album, on the original GH album, and on countless cds and now SACD and have never heard a different mix of this song with the exception of the one done for the Superior Sound of Elton John cd.

3. Doug B.

When I click the link, I'm taken straight there. But try this link:

http://www.axifile.com/?6956311

It would be a shame if it was the vinyl, but I wouldn't be surprised. On one other song, my needle keeps skipping and repeating on this one part. She (my aunt) obviously didn't take care of her LP's.

This album shouldn't be too hard to find used I gather ? I'd love to get a mint condition one.

4. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

It should be easy to find a copy of this album in the used bins. It sold tons.

FYI: When I click the link you provide, not only do I not go directly to the song but I also get a second, pop-up advertisement window.

5. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

In the early 80s I bought a reissue of the Honky Chateau album that had the same problem on the song Rocket Man. I sought out an original UNI release of Honky Chateau and it sounded fine.

Do you have any idea when your copy of GH was pressed? By the early 80s MCA seemed to be leading the charge for cutting back on costs, e.g. eliminating gatefold sleeves and album specific label art, and reassigning catalog numbers several times (initially with stickers pasted on the album jackets and then by stamping the front covers with big gold letters). Perhaps they lowered their standards on the pressings, too.

Would worn out stampers cause the problem? Or were the lacquers cut for later reissues cut way too hot?

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I had a copy of Honky Chateau that did the same thing. I was bummed because the rest of the record played great. I found another one that played fine. My bad one was a black label MCA with the foldout cover.

7. jpgettes

jpgettes Senior Member

Every vinyl copy of Honky Chateau I've ever heard has this same 'sizzle' you guys are talking about. It's obviously not a pressing flaw because it's in perfect rhythm. To me it's always sounded like the drumstick hitting the hi-hat too closely to the mic. Maybe the signal was too hot going to tape. It's almost like it was 'erased' when it was mastered for CD or something because it was considered annoying but I swear it sounds to me like it is in the original recording, on purpose.

Never bothered me. I kinda like it.

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Now that I've listened to the clip (worked at home better than at work), I don't hear anything strange going on other than a few scratches here and there. I think the part you're noticing is simply part of the recording, as others have already described.

9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Sounds like your mystery tick is part of the recording to me also. Also sounds like maybe there is a bit too much VTA (too high?) for your cart. But I'm guessing. Maybe you tweeked the EQ of the file to emphasize the tick-tick.

Wow - even with the problem, that sounds like a good pressing. I'd clean it (not with the D4 brush or fluid!) with distilled water, rinse again thoroughly, and wipe gently (always along with the circular grooves, never against) let air-dry for an hour or two, replace in a clean, new inner sleeve, and some of the surface noise will be gone. Playing it without properly cleaning will only continue to add to the noise, and groove damage.

10. Doug B.

No eq tweaking at all... And I've never had a problem with my VTA (that I know or have heard). Wow, you guys really think it's part of the recording ? I find that so odd, if so ! It just sounds unnatural, kind of like a metronome tick or something. But you're right, the actual pressing really does sound nice.

I'm bummed though, about one of the other songs constantly skipping in the same place. Is such a thing reparable ?

As for not cleaning it with the D4 brush and fluid, should I just get rid of the stuff, period ? I've honestly never felt that it did much else but produce its own lint anyway...

Doug

11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I use the brush dry, alone, as a last resort to only clean lint off of an already clean surface. (previously cleaned with a Nitty Gritty at some time).

I was warned against using the D4 wet, (and although I'm sure there are extreme circumstances when that would be better than nothing) - I believe what I was told. The D4 fluid creates a damp grunge that's left behind in the grooves. You don't want that anywhere near your stylus.

Examine the skipping part of the record very closely - is there a scratch or is it a blob?

Unfortunately, the hard-card inner sleeve of GH is responsible for many dirty records getting scratched while in the sleeve. The hard-card inner rubs against tiny dirt and dust particles, creating tiny, and not so tiny, scratches.

Ever notice how records in these types of sleeves ususally have much more surface noise?

It was a big leap of faith for me, but years ago I invested in a Nitty Gritty and poly-lined sleeves and haven't looked back since. I wont play anything until it's been through the wet/vacuum process. I highly recommend it. :)

12. Doug B.

Thanks, and noted. I'm definitely on a budget at the moment, but was seriously considering the KAB EV1 (the manual that you attach your own vacuum to). Think it's worth it for this purpose ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.