2008...so far

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member Thread Starter

It's still early but there have been several records thus far this year that I think are really A+ material. So, what is your favorite record this year so far? For me, it would definitely be:

[​IMG]

Times New Viking: "Rip It Off". Be forewarned though, this record is a complete assault on your ear drums. The best description I could give ove it is it's Guided By Voices in their heyday ('94-'96) if they were produced by David Bowie (ala "Search and Destroy"), but harsher. I think I read one blogger say it was as though The Archies started a post punk band with no money to record. I think this thing is a masterpiece.

:righton:

2. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

"Hey Venus!" by Super Furry Animals is quite amazing in my opinion. It was released in the U.K. in 2007, but came out over here (with an extra disc of the U.K. b sides) about a month ago.

And the new Birds Of Avalon e.p., which comes out in a few weeks, is quite stunning as well.

3. Mr Tudball

Mr Tudball New Member

Supergrass - Diamon Hoo Ha
    I'm hoping this will finally be the album that gets them some attention stateside, but after 10+ years, I doubt it. Such an overlooked rock band...

4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Nada Surf - Lucky

5. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

The Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creation's Dark

The highlight of my year, thusfar.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Black Mountain, In the Future

and....

Attached Files:

7. alylemoss

alylemoss Forum Resident

Jason Collett - Here's to Being Here

Recommended if you like The Band and mid-70's Dylan...kind of alt-countryish in places too.

8. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

This band is real popular over in their native Ireland right now, but I really like Bell X1's Flock album released on Yep Roc a few weeks ago.

9. hauntologist

hauntologist Active Member

Man, you stole my fave! :cheers: These guys/gal are playing a show in my friend's basement two weeks from tomorrow... man, I'm pumped!

From what little I've heard, the new Beach House album ("Devotion") is also quite good. Woozy, heroin-laced shoegazer w/ a bit of Motown and country-folk thrown in.

10. bellwether

bellwether New Member

American Music Club "The Golden Age" is the best thing I've heard all year!

11. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member Thread Starter

I've listened to the Beach House album and I'm of a mixed opnion. It's good but I'm not so sure I can distract myself from it's clear influences.

I also would recommend at least spinning the "Vampire Weekend" record, it's worth a listen at least, to anyone really -- very catchy.

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I've heard a few tracks. It's the freshest sounding music that I have heard in a while. (that's a good thing IMO)

13. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I love what I've heard and this would likely be my pick had the vinyl come out by now.
    But the most exciting for me so far has been the vinyl reissues of Drive-By Truckers' back catalog. Especially the Decoration Day LP. Great stuff.

14. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Vinicius Cantuaria. Brazilian guitarist singer/song writer. Very atmospheric music, he almost never disappoints.

51sIEe5KAvL._SS500_.jpg

15. hauntologist

hauntologist Active Member

That is, indeed, an incredibly catchy record, and really is worth a listen. They have a great moniker, as well, and as a grad student in English, I really dig the fact that they write songs about commas and suchlike. But personally, I can't really get into their sound. They're a bit too rounded-off and polished for me. A bit too safe, too squeaky clean. Not really my bag....

That said, however, I can see how people could become enamored with them. Give 'em a try!

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I wish I had something new and hip to pick but to be honest my favourite album of the year thus far is Joe Jackson's new one. I like Gary Louris's new album too.

17. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Another vote for Black Mountain's In the Future. It gets better with every listen.

18. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

So far, my favorite this year is Erykah Badu's New Amerykah Part One.

I'm also waiting for my copy of Boris's Smile, should be here any day now. What I've heard of it online could make it a contender too . . .

19. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

That is at the top of my list so far too. great album!

20. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Gary Louris - Vagabond. I'm really digging this record.

21. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I haven't heard that much new music yet, but I can't stop listening to Vampire Weekend's S/T debut. This band has just EXPLODED.

VW.jpg

And this one is growing on me very quickly as well:

TMBG.jpg

22. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Ray Davies' Working Man's Cafe
    The Bird And The Bee's Too Many Hearts

23. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

North Mississippi Allstars - Hernando

24. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

How's Black Mountain's new album compared to the one back from 2005. I kind of liked that one.

25. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Thanks for the tip. Anything that compares to GBV is well worth checking out in my book. I'll have to pick this up soon.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.