Anyone heard Muddy Waters-Folk Singer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by txguitar, Apr 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone heard the Muddy Waters-The Folk Singer on the Classic Label (DVD-
    24/96). I have heard it blows away all previous versions including the
    Mofi version ! I have a Dr. John release on Classic that I've been comparing to the vinyl release on Demon(UK) , both are very good
    in their own way .

txguitar

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

All I can tell you is that I have heard the Classic DAD (24/96) vs. the recent SACD release.

The Classic DAD blows the SACD AWAY!!!

It's all in the mastering folks.

3. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks Dan, I think I'll pick it up !

Thanks for the input . I think I'll pick it up . Seems like Classic puts a lot
    into thier re-mastering ,I've read a few reviews of their titles and they
    all seem to be be quality releases!
    Thanks again...Dan
    txguitar

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Dan's right, sadly. I got to hear Folk Singer on DAD last week. Makes yet another UNi SACD sound like...the CD. ClassicRecs nabbed it.

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I just wish there was more interest in doing quality DAD discs. They're good.

6. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I've only heard the MoFi LP, which was impressive. Sounded remarkably like one of my own master tapes (a demo I made for a friend, which had huge dynamics).

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I picked up a used MFSL CD and I'm pretty happy with it. What's the best version on vinyl?

8. Mike

Mike New Member

Nobody likes the Steve Hoffman version? I am confused. :confused:

9. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Unfortunately, I don't think Steve did this one....however he did do the NEWPORT concert (which I don't have yet).

10. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Basically, it doesn't really matter what format this album is on, it's so good. I have both the vinyl and the SACD and don't think the SACD is as bad as has been suggested. (Or the DAD must be absolutely amazing.) The SACD also has lots of decent bonus tracks. Here's a little review I wrote:

I didn't want to buy this SACD as I already had it on vinyl and it's a personal rule of mine (much trespassed) not to buy copies in other formats of what I already own. Fortunately, my vinyl copy of Muddy Waters Folk Singer had a pressing glitch on the second side and the store I bought it from promised to take it back. With that in mind, I could rationalise the purchase.

Music: I don't have the expertise in blues and folks to write a really proper opinion about this other than to say that Muddy Waters (not his original name, that was McKinley Morganfield) is a real blues singer who came from the real delta before arriving in Chicago and was one of the few to be recorded using modern techniques but who was still a part of the old guard who got along just fine without acoustic guitar. Later, he was to adopt one for almost all his playing, but like John Lee Hooker, he was a bridge to the new Chicago sound and not the result. The music is authentic, gripping, spare and honest. If you want to know more, I would refer you to Alan Lomax's excellent 'The Land Where the Blues Began,' or better yet, the SACD.

Sonics: Excellent for its time and at least the equal if not better of my vinyl copy but without the glitch, colouration, noise or sheer vinyl hassle. I am sure it as good as the master tape which is understood to be very fine, but not exactly fresh off the Studer.

At $26 Canadian at the HMV in Toronto, I don't see how anyone could go wrong with this disc. If you have never heard real Delta blues it's a fine, non-electric introduction, and if you do know the blues and don't have the album you won't be dissapointed. If you already have it on cd or vinyl or eight track, it could serve as a fine re-introduction to a true classic. Jeff

11. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

Yup! Steve did do this one. It's a bonus double CD along with Sings Big Bill on MCA. 1985 I think. It's listed in the discography. I like Steve's in a big way. And I have the SACD, too.

12. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

You are so right...my bad...guess I'll add another CD to the list of things to be on the lookout for! :)

13. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

Grab that Newport CD, too! It is sooo nice! I think there are some cheap one's on half.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.