Paul McCartney Ram Mono Cd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

I Found this at a used cd store-anyone heard of this-Paul Mccartney Ram Mono cd.Features 27 tracks on the cd.

Attached Files:

2. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

The CD is not actually a promo. The mono RAM was widely traded in the internet groups before some enterprising bootlegger started getting silver discs pressed.

Since it contains rare mono mixes that were only available on the original radio station promo LP I'd recommend it. I have a version on CD-R that doesnt have 27 tracks on it; what are the other tracks?

3. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

If I remember correctly, (I am not 100% positive) the remaining tracks are the Brung to Ewe promo spots.

4. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes btu Promo Spots correct.

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Thanks. It has been a few years since I last listened to it.

6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Give that mono Ram a listen.

This was a special mono mix and not a fold-down. Lots of differences to be found. Too Many People runs longer, crossfade between Uncle Albert and Smile Away is not as clumsy, just to mention a few.

Those Brung To Ewe promo spots are bizarre.

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

How's the sound quality on this CD? If it's any good, I'll keep an eye out for this one.

8. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Good sound. It is a needle drop of the original (and very rare) promo album.

9. John Carsell

Supposedly, there was one from Japan made from the mono master tapes.

The original Ram mono LP's came in the ordinary stereo jackets. Every used copy of Ram I come across, I look at each one of them.

10. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

The only Japanese cd version I am aware of (and own) is a needle drop. Roaring Mouse later duped a copy of the Japanese disc for their version. A very well known Beatles dealer was the source behind this disc. He had a Japanese pressing plant make the discs and they were sold exclusively by him. If there is a master tape version out there, and I highly doubt it, the tape source would have to have been stolen or dubbed directly from Macca's tape library.

11. John Carsell

There's also differences on the mono Apple promo 45 of Another Day / Oh Woman, Oh Why, which were recorded during the Ram sessions.

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The gunshot effects are different.

I have an Apple mono promo 45 of "Uncle Albert" b/w "Too Many People" and the differences John Carsell mentions are there as well.

13. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Chip Madinger in his book 8 Arms to Hold You debunked the whole myth surrounding a unique promo mono mix of Oh Woman Oh Why with extra or louder gunshots?

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Could be, I haven't read the book or heard the promo.

15. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Matrix, I highly recommend the book. Easily, the best book ever written detailing solo music from the Fabs.

The only place I have ever heard the mono promo mix of OWOW is on a bootleg cd and to tell you the truth, I did not notice any differences.

16. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Does that mean that these discs are sourced from MP3 files?

17. reechie

reechie Senior Member

No, it just means that collectors used internet chat rooms, e-mail and web forums to set up CD-R trades.

18. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

They actually MIXED RAM in Mono??

19. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Sure did and it was a real and unique mix. It was only issued as a VERY rare U.S. promo album. If you can find it, expect to pay several thousands.

Beware of the commercially available Brazilian mono albums - they are simply stereo fold downs.

20. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Wow, Im really suprised. I had thought Mono versions of new release Lps were long gone by then. guess not!!

21. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

You're not alone. It has never really been explained why Macca did this, but one can guess that it was for AM radio play. Even though AM was (obviously) a singles format, a 45 from the album (Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey in the U.S.) was not initially issued with the release of the album. Macca wanted to see which tracks got the most airplay and then release a 45 based on that.

22. John Carsell

The extra gun shots deal is simply a rumour.

The mono mix is a bit drier on Oh Woman, Oh Why than the more common stereo mix.

23. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The mono mix of "Oh Woman, Oh Why" appeared on the Artifacts III bootleg box set a few years ago. The source disc had skips, unfortunately. :sigh:

24. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

If that's what Madinger wrote, he's mistaken. I worked in AM Top 40 at the time and we noticed the difference when we replaced our mono promo 45 with the stereo 45 - the shots just weren't as loud. I have played the mono version for many people over the years and they've all heard the difference. There aren't any extra shots, but they sure stand out in the mono mix!

GM

25. John Carsell

I think what they were implying was the fact that there weren't any extra gun shots not the volume.

I just listened to my mono copy, and yes those shots are louder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.