Question about B.B. King

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alex-57, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex-57

alex-57 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have some albums of B.B.King: "Anthology" 2CD MCA2000, "Riding With the King" with E. Clapton Reprise 2000 & "Live at the Regal" MFSL, but I want to increase my collection.
    Tell me, please, what albums must bye in the first?:help:

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Live At Cook County Jail is a good one.

Evan

3. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

well not first, but there is a 10 cd or so series on Ace that I am going through currently that spans the 60's...it is superb!!

4. jostber

jostber Forum Resident

This is my favourite, an incredible set of songs:

Indianola Mississippi Seeds

[​IMG]

You gotta have this too, one of the greatest live blues classics:

Live At The Regal

[​IMG]

and this is a more unknown classic, maybe hard to get:

Blues'n'Jazz

[​IMG]

and you need the early stuff. The compilations on Ace Records are great, and this more recent collection:

Original Greatest Hits

[​IMG]

McLover and GerryO like this.
  5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I am very pleased to see this thread. Having seen B.B. King perform last Saturday night, I have been meaning to start a thread like this. I only have the Live at the Regal MFSL and Clapton/King CDs.

For the record, B.B. King was great in concert. Just great. My wife wasn't sure she would like the show, but she had a great time as well.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I really enjoy the How Blue Can You Get live comp. It's a collection of some of his best live performances. There's some licks on there that are just nasty. BB was a real mother of a player at his prime.

[​IMG]

7. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I love the Box set..after that I ent out for misc Cds.

8. live evil

live evil Senior Member

The box set "King of the Blues" is a very good collection.
    There is also a live collection that is better than most of the reviews of it, "How Blue Can You Get - Classic Live Performances 1964-1994."

McLover likes this.
  9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:D Post #6.

10. live evil

live evil Senior Member

I was posting at the same time as Dave D and Crimsoncing, and I ended up recommending the same cd's.

11. Hank

Hank Senior Member

JulesRules likes this.
  12. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I'm a BIG fan of B, with 20+ CDs, several DVDs and always looking at others (Thanks for the link Hank. I haven't seen that one). I too would start with the How Blue Can You Get? Classic Live Performances 1964 to 1994 box. He's at his best live and it has some of his early work that shows he was a powerful singer when younger. However, I don't think much of the King Biscuit Flower Hour disc. One of his later studio efforts I play frquently is Blues On The Bayou. There is also a MFSL version of Lucille and a single layer SACD of Reflections which is not stunning but I only paid $8 and I am a fan. :agree:

13. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident

I will second 'Blues On The Bayou'. BB knocked it out in 4 days deep down south in Maurice, Louisiana. Good music with very good sound. Toe-tapping blues at its best.

14. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

The MFSL Live at the Regal is very good. Cook County Jail is great too.

I don't have any of the comps-the live comp that a few have recommended looks pretty cool.

I really did not enjoy the B.B King/ Clapton collaberation. A bit weak IMHO. To me it is the usual issue with major artists collaberating and it being a bit stiff and "polite". Not bad but not memorable.

15. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

16. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Another for Cook County Jail. B.B. King in London is fun, too. It has Peter Green, Ringo, Dr. John, Klaus Voorman and a ton of other people.

JulesRules likes this.
  17. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

My favorate B.B. LP was the double 'From the Begining'. Has anyone ever seen this on CD?

18. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I agree. In the mid 60s BB started touring with horns and his guitar playing was less in the forefront. His style was also grittier and not so polished.

To be honest, I hate they way his records were mastered and I always feel like I'm sitting at the back of the club/auditorium rather than in the front rows in his later recordings. Muddy sound with no top end. Bill Syzmyck IMHO did a horrible job. Same is true for the CDs.

BTW, I took the back cover photo for the "Live at the Regal' reissue in the early 70s.

19. alex-57

alex-57 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you for your answering me, your information is usefull for me:thumbsup:

20. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

It's strange that no one still mentioned "Blues Summit". The 1993 album on which King collaborated with many other blues greats, including Koko Taylor, Buddy Guy, Albert Collins and John Lee Hooker. This is a must have CD :thumbsup:

turnersmemo likes this.
  21. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

This is also on DVD (video).

22. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

The Ace set, Original, Live in Japan, Midnight Believer, Take it Home + all the usual suspects, Regal, Cook etc.

23. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Yes! That B.B. on Ace is WONDERFUL! :righton:

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

"Live In Japan" is a smokin' set - I enjoy it as much as "Live At The Regal." For B.B. King lovers, it is essential to add some of the ACE reissues to any collection. "Easy Listening Blues," "The Blues," "Singin' The Blues," and "More B.B. King" are all must-have albums in a B.B. King collection.

JulesRules likes this.
  25. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

My Three

I enjoy:

Completely Well
    Lucille
    Live At The Rega

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.