Any attendees of a concert that was recorded for general release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

As a sidebar to the thread about controversial concerts, who here has been to a concert that came out as a live LP/CD, TV special and/or DVD? How did it compare to what actually came out?

For my part, I was at an Amanda Marshall concert that was broadcast as a CTV television special and came out on DVD- I see myself fairly often on the DVD. I was also at the tribute to Burt Bacharach that was held at the Royal Albert Hall, and that came out on DVD. As I anticipated, Bob Geldof's lifeless performance was omitted from the DVD. I was really disappointed Gene Pitney did not perform.

2. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Yes. Ringos Soundstage performance. I was in attendance for that. There Should be a unedited DVD of that out, not just the skimpy CD that was released.

On Billy Joels "Songs from the Attic" I was there for that performance of "I've Loved these Days"

3. serge

serge Forum Resident

Luna live!

The songs recorded at the 930 club...

4. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I wish I could take credit, but rather a good friend of mine was in the crowd at Red Rocks, CO when U2 recorded the video for Sunday Bloody Sunday back in 1983 or whenever that was. I "think" they recorded the entire show and released it as UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY if I remember correctly?

Any U2 fans care to elaborate?

EDIT... IIRC my friend told me the show was in September (I think) and it started to snow. You can see that in the video.

5. Not music or me, but my sister was at the Henry Rollins performance that was issued as the Shock and Awe DVD.

6. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I was at 2 of the 3 Led Zeppelin concerts that were used in the record and movie of The Song Remains the Same.

7. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Neil Young's live at Red Rocks DVD, World Party's 1993 radio broadcast, Lindsey Buckingham's first solo show in '92 broadcast on Westwood One, the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over taping, Neil Young's MTV Unplugged show, the 1993 MTV Video Awards. Nirvana at the LA forum in '93, of which Heart Shaped Box turned up on their live album. First Bridge benefit where some songs were released through iTunes.

8. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I was at the Humble Pie show at the Fillmore East that was a double LP. I went to the early show - Fanny opened, and I believe Lee Michaels was 2nd, though I could be wrong about that. I remember thinking Fanny was awesome and Humble Pie was great, but really, really loud.

9. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Dave Matthews' four-night stand in 2005 at Red Rocks that he later sold through his site.

10. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

And the Eddie Vedder/Tom Petty version of The Waiting in the recent Petty documentary, filmed at the Pepsi Center in Denver.

11. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I was at one, but I'm guessing only a few metalheads have it:

BLACK N' BLUE - ONE NIGHT ONLY LIVE

This was their first reunion show in a LONG time. Recorded at Key Largo Nightclub here in Portland, OR (the bands hometown) on Halloween night 1997. I was rocking up front with Dan Reed (Dan Reed Network).

I guess there is one more. I was seated in about the 12 row for the first KISS reunion show in Detroit (Tiger Stadium) June 28, 1996. Portions of that show were finally released on DVD on the latest KISS Box Set (or one of the box sets... there are so many).

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Bob Segers Live Bullet. The concert was scheduled for Friday, sold out, and a second concert was announced for Thursday. I was at the Thursday show. Spirit opened and SUCKED(!). Bob put on the best concert that, to this day, I have ever been to. Big chunks of that show were used on the album.

Have a friend who is clearly visible on the back cover of KISS Alive.(red hair parted and glasses leaning in the aisle near the banner)

13. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

I was at a Sting Performance at PNC Bank Arts Center in 2000 that was filmed for IMAX (just Desert Rose). Very cool - he did Desert Rose twice that night with Cheb Mami. Didn't see it in IMAX, tho-

I was also at the concert filmed for "A Salute To Buddy Rich" with Steve Smith, Dennis Chambers, and Phil Collins. It was at Manhattan Center Ballroom in NYC.

Just like you see on the DVD, Steve Smith's performance with "Buddy's Buddies" was outstanding! I actually appear at the very end in an audience shot (2nd row) just before the credits roll. Great night!

14. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

My Dad and I are in Paul McCartney's The space Within Us DVD.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I know I was at one of the shows used for the Kinks' "The Road". I'm sure I've attended plenty of others as well - I've definitely been at some DVD shoots like Eurythmics' "Peacetour"...

16. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Renaissance "Live at Carnegie Hall". Performance was incredible, no LP or CD I have heard does it justice. Having said that, my LPs of this show are among my 'desert island' collection.
    Saw the Grateful Dead's "Reckoning/Dead Set" tour, not sure if any of the performances I saw are actually on the LPs. More d/i stuff, especially "Reckoning".

17. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I can think of at least three...

NRBQ- Calvin Theatre Northampton, MA in April of last year. Part of the show was made available via their website.

Phish-IT Two DVD set filmed on August 2nd and 3rd, 2003.
    Both shows for sale at LivePhish.com

Live Aid- Philadelphia July 13, 1985

18. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

It was June 5, which made the rain and snow even more unusual. Entire show recorded and filmed, some of it shown on Showtime or some pay network at the time, some of it released on VHS, full show never released. Only two songs on the Under the Blood Red Sky EP are actually from Red Rocks, the others are from Germany I believe.

19. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

Grateful Dead: 2/28/69 Fillmore West

20. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

I was at Pink Floyd's filming of The Delicate Sound of Thunder. It was at one of the Nassau Coliseum shows. There was a big sign when you entered that basically said, this show was being filmed, and you may be photographed and you will have no rights to the film. Do not enter if you don't want your picture taken. They served near-beer there. I took my 17 year old nephew and he was knocked out by the show.

21. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

I was at the Band's Last Waltz. All CD versions have the songs in a different order. At the show, The Band played their set, then started bringing on the guest artists.

22. bockrona

bockrona New Member

DMB - Central Park

My wife, 9-month old daughter, and myself were at the DMB concert in Central Park.

We ended up in the way back with the other families. it was a good show.

23. Gothik

Gothik Forum Resident

I was at Children On Stun's final gig at the Camden Underworld, that was released on CD.

I was also at a Cradle of Filth gig was was being recorded for a video release, though I've yet to track down the release itself.

24. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

If Mickey Hart gets his way any of us who ever went to a Dead concert will be on a release someday.

25. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I was at the concerts that produced the album "Bruce Cockburn Live" (Ontario Place 1990)
    I was also at Massey Hall in 2001 for Mark Knopfler's show where he recorded it and released some songs from it on the bonus disc for "The Ragpicker's Dream". I can make out my trademark "whistle" during the applause! (and when Knopfler sings the line with Toronto in it during Speedway At Nazareth)
    I was also at a Steve Earle concert in 2000 that came out on video (Transcendental Blues)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.