World's Greatest Music Collection For Sale

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jbraveman, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbraveman

jbraveman Forum Resident Thread Starter

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Worlds-Grea...goryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Starting bid is only $3,000,000

--snip--
    From Thomas Edison to American Idol, this is the complete history of the music that shaped and defined five generations. 3 million records and 300,000 CDs containing more than 6 million song titles. It's the undisputed largest collection of recorded music in the world. About half of the recordings are new and never played, and every genre of 20th century music is represented. There are countless rare recordings worth hundreds, or even thousands of dollars each on the collectibles market. Organized and cataloged, the collection is meticulously maintained and housed in a climate-controlled warehouse. The estimated value of this amazing collection is more than $50 million.

Every recording in the collection was purchased by the collection's owner over the past fifty years and represents a lifetime of work and his desire to see the music preserved for future generations. Advancing age and health concerns are forcing the owner to sell.

The history of 20th century music belongs in a museum (existing or new), or a music library. The collection's owner is seeking a private collector or a philanthropist willing to buy and donate the collection. A donation would qualify as a tax-deductible event. The collection contains many thousands of duplicate copies, which could be sold individually on the collectibles market to recoup a substantial part of the purchase price.

Payment terms are 10% of the purchase price within five business days, by certified check, bank transfer or PayPal, and the balance by one of the same payment methods within 30 business days. The owner will ship anywhere in the world, and the buyer pays actual shipping costs from Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    For a personal tour of the collection, contact us.

For complete details on the collection and the seller, go to www.TheGreatestMusicCollection.com

--snip--

That's a lot of music. Of course, I'm not affiliated in anyway with this auction.

[​IMG]

2. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

If I were rich, this is the kind of luxury purchase I'd be interested in. What a mother lode. While a lot of the well-to-do dream about their pointless second, third or fourth 5,000+ square foot house and fleets of cars, this is the kind of thing I fantasize about.

In fact, if I were rich, I'd think about buying the collection, starting my own niche audiophile label, and hire Steve full time. Now that's an audiophile/record collector's dream!

Dale

3. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

If this were offered by a certain vendor (sounds like My Muse Ick Figs) it would be $12,000,000.... Buy It Now!

:crazy:

4. How would you even begin to ship 3 million records, let alone 300,000 CDs???

5. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

That's a lot of bubble wrap.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This website is run by the guy who owns Record-Rama, which is a longtime Goldmine record advertiser. Very pricey stuff. I think the reality is that no one will be willing to pay his purchase price, but he could probably get a museum to take the donation for a big tax write-off.

7. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

You'd think he'd hold something a little more enticing than that Nat King Cole lp.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

is record-rama still open in pittsburgh?

i used to go there before he moved out of the upstairs of the post office, never could find the new place.

very pricey store, he used charge a dollar year on some albums, if i recall correctly.

but if you had time you could almost always find something.

renny

9. greenman

greenman Forum Resident

With this info on his site, this might be an opportune time for him to unload parts of the collection.

"were it not for the fact that CDs have a life-span of just 15 to 20 years. In a few short years, the information on your CDs will just begin to disappear. Forever."

10. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Forum Resident

I wonder if there's a Zeppelin II RL in there????

11. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

The stack of LP boxes looks completely worthless.

You wonder how many duplicates are included...

No one will buy this junk for more than $100,000.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

in some big trucks.:D

13. Rob L

Rob L Forum Resident

Jeez I thought I was obsessive!

14. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how Telma Hopkins of Tony Orlando & Dawn / Bosom Buddies / Family Matters fame became a contact for an on-site inspection. Oh well, at least I now have her e-mail address...
    http://www.thegreatestmusiccollection.com/moreinformation.html

BTW, we can add Telma to the list of artists who "is featured on records with combined total sales greater than that of the Beatles and Elvis, combined."

15. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

:tsk: :wave:

16. jbraveman

jbraveman Forum Resident Thread Starter

No bidders yet. Some interesting questions:
    Q: How big in dimensions is this collection and how much does it weigh? Need to know these things when it comes down to shipping. Feb-13-08
    A: The collection currently occupies about 16,000 square feet, but could be stored in as little as 10,000 square feet; less if you have high ceilings and shelves. It would depend on whether you want to archive the collection or display it. Regarding weight, I can tell you this much: There are about 11 singles to the pound, 2 LPs, and 5 CDs. So for example, 300,000 CDs would weigh about 60,000 pounds. The size of this collection staggers the imagination. When I said it's all the music, I meant ALL the music.
    Q: do you have a spreadsheet or something that lists EVERYTHING in the catalog? I would like to check for rarities etc Feb-13-08
    A: There is a computer database with detailed information (file number, artist, title, market value, style, format, label, manufacturer, pressing, year, genre, additional miscellaneous information) on about a million titles. The balance of the collection is not yet on the database, but is well organized and easily found and retrieved. The database is enormous and way to big to attach to an e-mail. If you are genuinely interested, I can arrange a personal tour of the collection for you or your representative, at your convenience.
    Q: do you have any ween? Feb-13-08
    A: Yes. Eighteen different listings on singles, LPs and CDs.
    Q: Hi Mr. can I pay in 10.000 comfortable monthly installments? Thanks Feb-13-08
    A: Get a life.
    Q: The cd's are all "legit" copies and not burned copies - Is this correct? Let me know - Tom Feb-13-08
    A: Yes. The CDs are legitimate. Everything in the collection, analog and digital, is original. These are collectors items. If you have any more questions, need additional information, or would like a personal tour of the collection, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Q: Hi JP Henderson... I work for Vinyl Factory in the Uk and my company is very interested in the 'Vinyl Section' of your collection as well as any rare collectibles/ Box Sets. Would you willing to send us a list of what Vinyl is in the Collection..? thank you. Raphael You can email me at [email protected] Feb-13-08
    A: Thank you for your interest in the music collection. Unfortunately, it would be impossible to send you a list of song titles, as there are MILLIONS of them. I can tell you this: There are over a quarter-million titles on singles alone. More than six million total. Nearly every record that ever reached the charts is in the collection, and more than half of those that didn't are also represented. The music Master guide for record collectors, was an enormous multi-volume set of books, and this collection contains about 99% of the titles listed. This is the complete history of twentieth century popular music. If you are serious about the collection, I would suggest that you, or a representative in this country, arrange to see it in person. I can arrange this any time convenient to you. Have you been to the Web site? www.TheGreatestMusicCollection.com If I can be of further assistance to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Q: can I buy just one LP? :) Feb-13-08
    A: No, I'm sorry. This is for sale as an intact historical collection.

17. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Right...the guy with 3 million LPs obviously has lots going on in his world.

[​IMG]

18. ATR

ATR Senior Member

My CD's are only gonna last how long?

Either he knows something we don't, or...

19. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

So all of his CDs are not going to deteriorate, right? :D

Attached Files:

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Massive collection........ Just incredible.....

21. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Wow! That is obviously the body model for my current avatar!

:eek: :laugh:

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

This guy has been talked about here before. He owns (or owned) a store. CDs and more run-of-the-mill LPs were on the main floor. The rare LPs were held in a room in the back. As I understand it, if an LP you were looking for was in the back room, you had to have a good reason to want it (and probably a lot of money). As I recall, the owner was not the most friendly person to deal with. If I am wrong about that, someone please correct me. I was in that store several times a few years ago, but seeing as I was buying CDs on the floor, I never dealt with the owner.

I read here awhile back that the owner had health issues, and that is stated on thegreatestmusiccollection.com.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That's it. Record-Rama. The store was in what used to be a roller-skating rink. It looks from their web site that they are still in that location: http://www.recordrama.com/.

24. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

actually, at less then $1 per LP/ Single + 300,000 free CDs its relatively cheap ;D

plus, think of all the hours of endless fun you could have...

25. Jay F

Jay F New Member

In all the time I've lived here, I've never gone there. The owner is supposed to be a miserable SOB, and you can't browse. You have to know what you want and ask for it, possibly even write it down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.