Beatles Capitol Boxes- Japan version different ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mhw58, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhw58

mhw58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I notice Best Buy is selling a Beatles Capitol Box from Japan for $129. Is there any difference in the Japanese version compared to the US versions. Same mastering and sound quality or different?
    Mike

2. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Pretty sure its the same mastering (can't vouch for sound quality diferences) but from what I've read the mini-LP sleeves are much higher quality, with Help reproduced as the original gatefold sleeve.

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

As far as the sound goes, any differences would probably be minimal at best.

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

For that kind of money, I hope the buyer doesn't end up with a fold-down Rubber Soul & VI. :sigh:

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Same exact mastering. Only difference is the quality of the mini-LPs. No fold-down mistakes either. It's a gorgeous set!!

6. Runt

Runt Senior Member

It's tempting if you're a sucker for those mini-LP sleeves (like I am :) ).

Especially considering the cheesy, cheap-quality sleeves in the U.S. set... :thumbsdn:

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I am not a fan of mini-LP's, but I had to buy the Capitol Albums Vol. 2 set. Reasons:

1. It contains the correct mono mixes (no fold-down mixes).
    2. The jackets are larger; the same size as a standard mini-LP sleeve, and they come with nice inner sleeves.
    3. Attention to detail is amazing. No Apple or "Compact Disc" logos or "remastered by Ted Jensen" legend. The covers are pasted onto the cardboard, just like the original albums as well, which I thought was very cool. Most importantly, "Help" is double-pocketed, as was the original, with all the text and photos from the original.
    4. It comes with an additional 134-page (!!) booklet with commentary (in Japanese unfortunately) and all lyrics (in English and Japanese).

One thing to be very careful for -- this set was originally released in Japan as an import, so make sure that you get the true Japan set. The true Japan set was released about a month later, is numbered TOCP-70031-34, and has an obi indicating 10,000 Yen retail price at the bottom. If you are unsure, get confirmation from the seller.

8. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Interesting. You mean the undesireable "import" is identical to the Western version, cheap construction and all?

9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Was the original Help LP double-pocketed?

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it was only a gatefold.

11. Michael

yes...

12. Michael

and the mini albums are larger than the US Mini's.

making the box set bigger overall...

13. Michael

you can get it 40 dollars cheaper at cdjapan delivered!

here...http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TOCP-70031

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Right, double gatefold.

I checked the internet. The correct item no. is TOCP-70031-34. Released in June 2006

Do NOT buy TOCP-70021-24. That is a western version with a Japanese translation of the booklet. It was released in May 2006.

The link posted by Michael appears to be the correct (true Japan) version.

15. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Wait a minute...are you telling me that these are mini-lp cover slicks as well???

16. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Yes. Nearly exactly faithful to the dimensions of the original US album cover, white borders and all.

17. Hawkman

Sigh. Why do I read these threads??

18. Hawkman

INNER SLEEVES, TOO??????

19. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

No inner sleeves. That's the only fault I can find. Probably too hard to clear that.

20. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Not reproductions, but those clear, soft sleeves that all mini-LP's use. Which is better than the US version (nothing)

22. Michael

AGAIN! Guys, if you don't have the Japanese version...get it. Trust me, you'll be sorry when it's gone.

23. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Does the first set from Japan have the quality mini-LP sleeve replicas, too?

24. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

:agree:

25. Michael

nope, it's just an import of the US set!

I'm hoping they do their own cube version to match the superior 2nd box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.