Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - Dualdisc or SACD???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tin Whisker, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - Dualdisc or SACD???

Which one sounds better?

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I prefer the single layer SACD but the DualDisc features a brief documentary on the making of Kind Of Blue on the DVD side.

DVD Features

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=15737

DVD Side
    Entire album in 5.1 Surround Sound and enhanced LPCM Stereo
    25-minute making-of documentary, Made In Heaven, featuring black-and-white film and stills, the voices of Miles Davis and Bill Evans, plus interviews and more
    Photo Gallery
    ''Miles Speaks'' Audio Outtakes from the master sessions

3. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

The dual disc (DVD side) has a compressed dolby digital 5.1 track and a 16/48 stereo track. It also has an ok video.
    The SACD has a high resolution 5.1 track and a hi-rez stereo track.
    The 5.1 on both are computer manipulated.
    You want to stick to the stereo SACD for the best (digital) sound of this album.

4. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

I thought the SACD was three channels, just like the master recording, isn't it?

5. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Not quite. Although the original studio master for KOB was three-track, the SACD was computer-processed so that audio occupies all five channels (and therefore, the 5.1 of KOB is a mock-surround mix).

6. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

also sony region coded the Dual disc, so not only do you get an inferior product, but you have to be carefull where you live.

7. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

It's a lame video. And I don't like the surround mix on either. Actually I really don't like faux ambiance period. But the stereo mix on the SACD is worth it.

Search the archives. Dualdiscs (any title) are generally frowned upon here, but there was considerable disagreement over the SACD. And there are two two different SACDs to confuse matters more.

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's the reason I stayed with my original JSACD in the oversized digipak. Amazing trumpet sound, methinks.

9. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Wonder how the multi-channel layer is if you unplug the rears. Does any of that
    rear reverb make its way into the other three channels?

10. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

I'd cast my vote for the SACD. Ya know....so many threads & off-line discussion about the 'best' KoB. Jimmy Cobb's still around, playing clubs and releasing cds (that 'Cobb's Corner' SACD is pretty good)...I wish someone would get him in a room and play all of these things for him -- pre-DSD, Classic Records, SACD, Columbia 6-eye, Sony Mastersound, etc, etc and then report back on what he has to say ('Yeah, that one....that's the one! That's the one that has the right vibe!! If Paul and Bill were here today, I know they would agree with me!!'). I dunno....maybe he's on record as having done so, but I haven't seen it.

11. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

The three track SACD is superb. The mild rear "ambiance" is not a significant issue and one can merely turn the rear's off if it disturbs one's sensibilities. Nothing wrong with the SACD stereo mix either. One's reaction to the 5.0 mix can be speaker/system dependent.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Actually, there are at least 4 (!) different SACDs :eek:

Supposedly, the newest hybrid version from 2007 has "new" remastering.

13. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Musicians are not necessarily the best judges when it comes to sound fidelity, because they are used to hear the band from a different perspective.

14. peelmeanemma

peelmeanemma New Member

Yes, that's true, In 1984, Bill Bruford mixed down a King Crimson gig and Robert Fripp thought the end result was horrifying since Bruford mixed it from his perspective as a drummer who hears things onstage very differently to the rest of the band.

15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

True and we should remember that their hearing is not what it used to be.

16. seriousfun

seriousfun Forum Resident

No.

The three front channels are directly from the three-track tape, and disconnecting the rear channels lets you listen to the original multitracks at the right speed/pitch.

Adding this reverb just shows the ignorance of record companies, and their disrespect for their customers, but at least there is a workaround.

17. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It wasn't computer processed. It was mixed into 5.1 using real gear and a console.

18. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

:laugh: That's a bit much don't you think?

19. seriousfun

seriousfun Forum Resident

At least they didn't cobble-together an LFE channel for this disc...

20. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It's funny how in all the other threads I've read people mentioned how subtle the rear ambience was but in this thread you'd think it was the loudest thing to ever appear on an album.

This place is very reactionary! :laugh:

21. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Anyone know if the original Stereo mix is just a 50/50 folddown of the third track?

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The SACD sounds best.

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Sorry for the threadcrap. I ordered the SACD at CDPacific.com and recieved the Dual Disc. I mailed some times to replace it but they didn't reply at all.
    Does anybody have the similar experiences here?

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Were you trying to order the "new" 2007 DSD remastering? I did not try to order, but was wondering if you had gotten ahold of a copy and how it sounded.

25. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I've got the old SACD from another dealer. I don't have the new 2007 SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.