Alan Parsons' Classic Records HDAD Re-Issued!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry B, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member Thread Starter

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I Robot is not there, shows as back-ordered on the Classic site.

How do we know it's a true re-release? Was I Robot available for a little while, then sold out?

3. Larry B

Got an email from Classic Records. I see what you are saying about IR. Just TOAFC and EITS. Maybe IR is just around the corner?

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Do you mind posting what you got from Classic? Maybe it will shed some insight. I'm curious if they can start repressing all of their HDADs that went OOP.

5. Larry B

INQUIRY: Hi, the new newsletter show Alan Parsons Project's "HDAD 2006 and HDAD 2011 - Now Back Instock!". However, both links to The Music are either Sold Out or a dead link. Is this just a tease or error??

RESPONSE: This was not a tease just an error, both items are now available to buy on themusic.com

So, it contains no indication of other re-issues but it might be worth an email to them to find out or to, at least, encourage them.

[email protected]

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Oh man you've got me even more confused with that message from Classic :confused:

Did that guy mean to say "This was not a tease just an error, both items are not available to buy on themusic.com"?

What was the error? That they have them, or that they don't?

7. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

good news for those who don't have these yet, PICK THEM UP and encourage them to put out the others! :D

8. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Then it has to be waaaay out of print! :eek:

10. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

11. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

The original issue was titled I, Rowboat .

:D

12. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Thanks. :righton:

I hedged on these about a year or so ago, as I thought I was more of a greatest hits type fan. Glad I got a second chance as I don't think these will ever sound better, if the totally vile recent remasters are any indication.

Rick

13. Great news!

I still need all three of them, and I hope "I Robot" will follow soon.

14. A.G. Pennypacker

Crossing my fingers here too. I let all three slip by the first time, and I'm not letting that happen again. I actually emailed them a few months ago asking if these would be reissued, and never heard back. Just a few weeks ago I emailed them about OOP LPs, threw in a compliment about Aqualung, and I heard back the next day. Not totally sure why I'm sharing this; just advising that flattery isn't a bad way to get a response out of them.

15. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

Great, I am ordering these right now! :)

BTW, I was told by Benchmark Media that Classic Records are one of the handful of companies that do not use copy protection on their discs. So for those using offboard convertors such as the DAC1 (like me), you will get the full 24/192 DVD-A datastream, not a downsampled 16/48.

Of course, the 24/96 layer is part of the DVD-Video format which did not have copy protection, watermarking etc, so this should be available from most DVD players.

16. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

:laugh:

And, every so often, they would need more wood for the synths to chug on.

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I ordered them too.

What DVD players output 24/192 over coax/optical? I thought this was more bandwidth than those interfaces support?

18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It will be interesting if any of these Eye In The Sky discs have corrected the defect on the DVD-V side. The early ones had tracking problems (skipping). Fortunately the 24/192 DVD A side was fine.

19. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

I don't think there are any. The copy protection on the disc prevents this anyway. At least it does on my Oppo

20. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Could it be that Classic Records' license to these titles has run out, so they are not allowed to sell the HDAD themselves, but that some limited old stocks are being sold through themusic.com, which is related to Classic Records but a different legal entity?

21. Claude

Claude Senior Member

But there is no digital output protection for the 96/24 layer, unlike other such hi-rez DVDs (Neil Young "Greatest Hits") which only allow 48/16 digital output.

22. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

The Panasonic DVD-S47, S77 or S97 will output at up to 24/192 via the coaxial digital out. Benchmark Media tested this (see their wikipedia entry for details).

Most commercial DVD-A's e.g. Warner Bros. use copy protection which means that the DVD player will downsample the datastream from the digital o/p's to something much less. In the Panny's case, it is 16/48 (says the manual).

Some companies do not utilise copy protection on DVD-A's and hence the full datastream can be outputted from a suitable player. These include AIX, Classic Records, Chesky, Silverline (maybe some others out there as well). This info came to me from corresponding with Rory @ Benchmark (very helpful).

Unfortunately, aside from the aforementioned Panny's (now discontinued), there appears to be little out there that can o/p a bit-perfect hi-rez datastream, certainly not above 24/96. All not lost though - I picked up a second hand S97 from ebay for £30!

As mentioned earlier, the 24/96 layer could be played on any DVD player as it is part of the DVD-V standard. However, you are not guaranteed to get the full datastream from the digital outs - some players are designed to downsample it.

Cheers.

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Looks like Classic really does have these two in stock. They notified me via email that my CC was charged, and order will be shipping soon :agree:

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I missed out on "The Turn Of A Friendly Card" last time, because I was so dissatisfied with their take on "Eye Of The Sky". I ordered one today to see if I'm missing anything? Both versions of the CLASSIC HDAD, "I Robot" were really good, but they totally blew it with "Eye In The Sky".

Chris C

25. A.G. Pennypacker

What was wrong with it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.