???Cambridge Audio DV89 used for SACD and DVD-Audio???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mwheelerk, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

I just picked up the Cambridge Audio DV89 to use as a universal player for the occassional movie but primarily for SACD and DVD-Audio playback. I am going to purhcase the Cambridge Audio 740C as a compact disc player. Does anyone have any opinion, input or compared this to others regarding playback quality of this device for high resolution music? I wold like to hear others experiences.

Thanks

2. michael w

michael w New Member

A nice unit based on the OPPO 970.

The OPPO does video better.

The Cambridge does audio better.

Not quite a giant killer but very listenable with all formats, very good with DVD-A.

3. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Wonder how it compares to the Oppo 980?

4. mwheelerk

SACD??

With regards to SACD do you know if the unit processes DSD directly or does it convert the DSD stream to PCM prior to the DAC like many less expensive universal players.

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I've no experience with CA players, but you might consider an outboard DAC for your DV89, rather than the 740C.

Maybe?

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Not that the DAC suggestion is a bad one, but in this case it would be a bit silly as the 740C functions both as a DAC with 2 digital inputs and as a CD player, being the 3rd, and internal input. So he can have his cake and eat it too. It has excellent performance. We have compared it to the Rega Apollo here and it is very similar sonically. In this way, he can keep the video and ausio portions completely isolated. he has the option to use the 740C to decode stereo DVD playback from the DVD89 as well or he could choose to connect two other digital sources to the DAC, use the 740C transport for Cd playback and the DVD89 for multi-channel audio only.
    -Bill

7. mwheelerk

That's The Idea

Yes, that was the idea to have the DVD89 serve my small video viewing needs, my high res music needs and the 740C as the CD music source and potential DAC for the DV89 and another source. I am continuing listening to the DV89 this weekend. What my concerns are pertain to a lack of soundstage, depth, height, to the image and less detail. I have been using words like cool and dry sounding in trying to describe what I am hearing with this versus the Denon 2900 I had used. My goal was to upgrade my CD sound while maintaining my SACD and DVD-Audio quality. The video and Dolby Digital sound of the DV89 are satisfactory to my needs. I thought the combination of the DV89 and 740C would get me there. I am wondering if I may have under-bought with the DV89 for high resolution playback but I wanted to stay single branded on the source units.

One thing I wondered about does anyone know if the DV89 player converts the DSD stream to PCM prior to the DAC or does it have a separate processor so no other conversion occurs prior to the DAC?

8. michael w

michael w New Member

The DVD89 shares the basic architecture of the OPPO 970 and does convert DSD to PCM.

I found SACD performance good but not as good as DVD-A.

Soundboy;
    I have yet to experience the OPPO 980.

9. mwheelerk

I think that is what I am experiencing right now regarding SACD playback. On the Denon it was at least the equal of DVD-Audio if not a little better. On the DV 89 it is a little less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.