"Look At Yourself" by Uriah Heep

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JLGB, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member Thread Starter

I purchased this CD blindly not knowing the band (still together formed in 69 with drummer replaced cause of health issues) ... and the reason (for picking it up) was the name reminding me of "David Copperfield" book... anyways great sounding band and will plan to get more "into" them ...vey diverse it seems with great chops and cannot pinpoint their style of Rock yet..curious indeed! :righton:

2. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

You'll not be disappointed. They did some great stuff. They were more of a "get stoned" band.

"I done the farmer's daughter and I sure did hurt his pride."

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

One of the great "kegger"/bong bands of my youth.;) At the time, my friends considered them immediate rivals to Deep Purple, in fact were thought to have blown Blackmore & co. off the stage at an early '70s concert they attended. A great combo of classic heavy rock with great harmonies, a la Vanilla Fudge.

4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I really love the title track! I got to know them only recently because of the BBC tv cult series Life On Mars which features four or five tracks from the band. I liked what I heard and bought some on vinyl. If you like Deep Purple, I think you're in for a treat...

Enjoy! :wave:

5. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

There are some really good songs on that album, July Morning, Tears In My Eyes, Look At Yourself. Love it.

6. JLGB

Thanks all.. the title track love how the timing is sped up as it goes along..great percussion,drumming! Wow!

7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

This disc has my all time favorite track by UH - "July Morning". It just doesn't get any better than this.

8. JLGB

Call me nuts but I hear The Doors, and (maybe have to run for them hills but I gotta say it) even Air Supply type singing.....jazzy playing as well! Well...I might take what I wrote here back later..or not!:D

9. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Love Look at Yourself, have the original LP with the mirror in it, great concept

10. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I'm a huge Uriah Heep fan and "Look At Yourself" has always been my favorite release by the band.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

11. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

I even think it is their best effort ......... although I really like all their albums up to "Firefly"

12. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

And the unremastered German "Bronze" CD really rocks, although the Castle/Essential remaster isn't too bad ....avoid the unremastered "Castle" version - it is awful ..

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

A masterpiece by UH. My favorite tracks: "July Morning" with the great Moog solo by Manfred Mann, "Tears in my Eyes", great slide by Ken Hensley, and the heavy "Shadow of the Grief". The 11 min outtake "Why" is worth the disc alone!

14. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Maybe I get Your statement wrong, but Uriah Heep had even more personal changes than Raibnow. The only original member is the guitar man Mick Box.

Oh, a great album, BTW. But You also need the predecessor Salisbury and the follow-up album Demons and Wizards. You won't be disappointed :thumbsup:

15. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member

Didn't they have a minor hit with something called "Easy Livin'" in 1972 or so?

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I agree... but Ritchie B. was also the only original member at the end of Rainbow. Don't forget: Rainbow only lasted 7 years, while Uriah Heep is nearly 40 years in the music business.

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

right... classic track from the Demons and Wizards album

18. stevemtno

stevemtno Forum Resident

Defintely pick up Demons & Wizards. Heep at their best (in the studio), with Gary Thain on bass. Can't go wrong with any Thain-era Heep.

As far as the Look at Yourself album, you can't go wrong there either. July Morning is worth the price of the album by itself.

Once you're a bit more familiar with the material, get the 1972 live album, Uriah Heep Live.

19. stevemtno

stevemtno Forum Resident

Isn't "Why" on Demons & Wizards?

20. Terry

Terry Senior Member

LOL. Me, too.

21. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Heep has been credited as one of the primary bands upon which Spinal Tap was modeled.

22. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Yes, it was on their "Sweet Freedom" LP.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

right.... but the better outtake (2 diff. versions) is on Look at Yourself.

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Easy Livin on Sweet Freedom :confused:

25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

"Easy Livin" was on the classic Demons & Wizards LP. The hit from the Sweet Freedom LP was "Stealin".

Love the Heep. Look At Yourself is a great album. :edthumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.