Gentle Giant Remasters (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member Thread Starter

2. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Are there any of these "bad" copies still floating around? How careful should I be if I'm buying from an ebay or Amazon seller? Is there any way to tell whether it's the correct or incorrect version?

3. A damn good question... to which I can't answer! I should have taken note before shipping it back, but haven't... There must be a difference in the matrix #...

4. webbcity

ParloFax, thanks for the reply! Anybody know the answer to this?

Thanks in advance...

5. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

You should be very careful about buying a used DRT Interview because many of the sellers on eBay and Amazon wouldn't know the difference between the faulty and corrected versions. There are many of the faulty versions out there I'm sure! It took DRT a long time to reissue the corrected one, and they didn't do a recall, so the faulty ones are probably out there in a semi-large quantity.

Frank R.

6. webbcity

Thanks Frank, that sounds like good advice...guess I'll play it safe.

7. Dok

Dok Senior Member

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Interesting. I see that they're re-releasing Octopus in a new digi-pak version. Maybe they are changing the packaging in order to distingiush it from the older digi-sleeve version with the digital glitch.

9. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

I can't remember where I read this (but it must be in the Part 1 thread somewhere), but I think that the change was always on the cards. When, for example, AtT was marketed as a limited edition, the idea was that it was just the packaging that was limited. It wasn't that the CD was going out of print after they sold the 3500 copies or whatever. I assume that must be true for Octopus as well.

Geoff

10. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Well, let me post a re-post a very relevant question here to Eroc that I asked back in part one and never really got an answer to, and being that he is in direct communication with Repertoire: are we going to be able to exchange the defective Acquiring CDs for the new ones and if so, how will that be handled? Or do we just have to re-buy this title AGAIN—not that it's not worth it!—for the 4th or 5th time?

11. Lownote30

I just want that Three Friends!! I can't wait for that! I have two CD versions, and they both sound pretty bad. I always have to listen to the vinyl if I want to hear this album sound good.

Frank R.

12. Eroc

Eroc Active Member

As far as I have heard from REP some months ago they act very fair if someone sends in CDs to them for exchange. When it comes up to new pressings of "Octopus" and "Acquiring" I will talk to REP again about this problem and then post here. So stay tuned... :righton:

- Eroc

13. serj

serj Forum Resident

14. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

I just preordered Three Friends from Amazon UK. We'll see what happens...

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

"Catalog number UICY - ..." that's typically japanese vinyl replica editions. Some King Crimson remasters share those 4 letters. Not REP remasters.

16. serj

serj Forum Resident

Thank you. What do you think about the sound of the current japanese vinyl replica 'Octobus' CD? Is it really awful?

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I've heard it a long time ago before I tossed it in favor of the Repertoire edition. It wasn't awful by any means - at least to those ears at the time - and I found it was even better than the original Vertigo CD. But I think the Repertoire is the definitive digital version of that album.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The japanese Octopus remaster dates back from 2001 by the way. I don't think they re-remastered it again since. As with almost everything the Japanese master, they added a lot of air (above 15 khz) to the sound.

19. serj

serj Forum Resident

Ok, Thomas, thank you. I will look for the REP version:) I don't like digipacks but have no choice:)

20. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

sorry, I know it's been mentioned before but this thread has gone on for so long....is my 2001 Japanese mini-LP of Octopus (or Tako, if you wanna go native) have a glitch? And where?

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You're welcome, serj. :)
    I have one of the 3000 copies of the limited REP edition. At least you'll get the same excellent mastering! (maybe even de-glitched!)

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

As far as I know, only the current 2007 Repertoire edition has a glitch, NOT your japanese one.

That's a very minor glitch by the way; hell, I can't tell where it is, even after repeated listenings!

23. Lownote30

You need headphones to really hear the glitch in the REP version of Octopus. Same with Acquiring The Taste.

Frank R.

24. serj

serj Forum Resident

Maybe this new (January) portion of 'Octopus' CD's will not have this glitch?:)

25. Dok

Dok Senior Member

The REP is the one with the glitch. The J-mini doesn't as far as I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.