All remaining Mosaic Miles Davis LPs are on the way out...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Thanks for the heads up. TommyTunes was just praising these pressings.

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Get 'em while you can, Lee. :righton:

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Get the '65-'68 and Miles & Coltrane while you can, Lee. :righton:

5. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Just gulped and ordered the whole lot (between this and the new BN vinyl reissue series, it's shaping up to be a great but expensive year for vinyl lovers!).

6. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Interesting that Mosaic--who set the standard for quality vinyl reissues in their early days--is now jumping off the vinyl bandwagon just as many others are crowding on.
    Wonder how long before we'll see a Mosaic 45rpm jazz reissue series?

7. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Well they've been "off" that particular bandwagon for some time. I'm betting Michael Cuscuna is rethinking that particular decision in light of the recent boom in audiophile vinyl.

I sort of see the new Analogue Productions and, even more so, Music Matters Blue Note vinyl 45 rpm series as possible steps in that direction - Michael Cuscuna being the common link. I'm betting (hoping) that all will go very well with those series, both in terms of product quality and sales, and that this will encourage him to do some 45 rpm vinyl issues on the Mosaic label too. The Music Matters series - with its Francis Wolff prints etc - seems like a first cousin to Mosaic product.

We can certainly hope for at least some future Mosaic sets (likely smaller ones) to be offered in that manner!

8. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Mosaic 45 rpm sets will never happen...old jazz fans are too grumpy and don't like to get up that often.

33 1/3 is another matter... :angel:

9. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

What's so special about these?
    How do they compare to the Blue Note series for sound quality?

10. Jay F

Jay F New Member

The music.

I don't know.

I like the sound quality on both the CDs and the LPs in the Miles Davis box sets. But if you want this music on LP, now is the time to act. It's been around for about ten years, so I doubt it's ever coming back.

11. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

These are wonderful collections and anyone with even a passing interest in Miles Davis should get while the getting's good.

12. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I ordered the Miles Davis: The Complete Blackhawk Sessions, The Studio Recordings of Miles Davis Quintet 65-68 and The Columbia Recordings of Miles Davis/ Coltrane from Mosaic website.

The Complete Blackhawk Sessions is selling for $108 on Mosaic while selling for $250 at Acoustic Sounds! Go figure.

Thanks for the heads up.

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Thanks. Just picked up the 65-68 box. Have the others. Can't wait too long for this stuff. It's too great, and in a year it'll be twice the price.

14. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up. I picked up the Quintet 65-68 and the Miles/Coltrane sets back when they had their 10% off sale a couple months back. They are expensive, but quite a bargain in these days of $50 45RPM Blue Notes. I picked up the Plugged Nickel lp set a few years ago, sure glad I did.

15. Claude

Claude Senior Member

On the other hand, Mosaic has never been an audiophile but a music collector's label. Which doesn't mean their reissues don't sound good (many sound great, others not so).

16. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I ordered the Blackhawk and Coltrane boxes myself. I really want them for the booklet. It will be nice to be able to actually read the booklet.

Regarding Mosaic & vinyl, I highly doubt that they regret getting out of vinyl. A small group of Jazz vinyl fans simply did not translate into enough sales to make it a feasible business move. Even with today's vinyl "boom", they would likely still be stuck with the vinyl way past the license date. Vinyl's tough too because they press the LPs all at once. It's not something you want to do "every now & then" like they can do with CDs. Too costly.

BTW, the reason these sets are going oop is because the license is running out, not because Mosaic is quitting vinyl.

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

So these didn't sell out, IOW?

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

They didn't.

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

My boxes have hit the door right now.:)
    Thank you for the heads up, Hans.:wave:

20. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I knew something must be "up" last month when I saw Acoustic Sounds listing Blackhawk for $250-- but when I checked Mosaic, they didn't even list the set as "running low." I guess they bypassed that step and went straight to "last chance."

21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

As they sometimes do. :winkgrin:

22. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Thats pretty sad that the licensing expired before the sets sold out. I was surprised I got such low numbers when I ordered my "Miles/Coltrane" and "1964-1968 Quintet". They were #1914 and #1680 out of 5000. I realize that they issue them out of sequence, but from the looks of it, they sold under 2000 of each. They sound great, a lot of work went into them.

23. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

I already have the Davis/Coltrane set but ordered the Blackhawk and 65-68 sets because of JAW's head up.

These are lovely issues. If it's true Mosaic hasn't sold many, that's a genuine shame. I always assumed the "last chance" meant low stock; it hadn't occurred to me that it might mean the license was about to expire.

What makes it more shameful is places like Acoustic Sounds can sell the sets for $250 while Mosaic can't sell any at all.

What happens to their remaining stock? Does it get bought up by places like Acoustic Sounds? Please don't tell me Mosaic has to destroy unsold sets.

By the way, I buy from AS all the time, so I don't mean to disparage them. True, Chad's a pretty rapacious capitalist, but the bright side is that he turns around and finances neat projects like the AP reissue series. As rapacious capitalists go, he's one of the better ones.

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I'll second that.

25. Claude

Claude Senior Member

If the market situation was really such that Acoustic Sounds could sell lots of those OOP sets for $250, the remaining sets that Mosaic has to sell because the license runs out would be gone very quickly, because other speculators would grab them.

I'd rather think that AS will sit on them for a longer time, like those Ebay sellers who offer MFSL or DCC discs for double the usual market price. It's their decision, and they must have a reason for doing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.