180 gram vinyl Kinks reissues from Earmark

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sharedon, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone Thread Starter

Anybody know anything about the new 180 gram vinyl Kinks reissues from Earmark in Italy? Kinda Kinks and Kinks Kontroversy are now apparently out.

2. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I have the same question.
    Anybody?

BC

3. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Hey, that's what I wanted to know! ... Italian reissue company, apparently, and they're commencing with a raft of diverse releases -- Parliament, Uriah Heep, Kinks, Desmond Dekker, Bert Jansch!

But that's all I know!

4. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Red Trumpet has had these for awhile.
    Anybody??
    peterredtrumpet???
    BC

6. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I ordered two of them from Music Direct, played them, loved them, silent background, good dynamics, (my system is a little bass starved, but I thought the bass was good) and have ordered the rest of them.

7. stever

stever Senior Member

I started a thread inquiring the same thing a couple of days ago, but titled the thread, "Abraxas Records." I've seen "Something Else," and "Live at Kelvin Hall." I'm gonna snag "Something Else," pronto!

8. Tony Plachy

I am now 4 for 4 on these (3 Kinks and the Uriah Heep). All have been perfect with respect to quality (no pops or ticks, good heavy vinyl, great packaging) and I think they sound good. I get them for $15 from Music Direct.

9. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Are they stereo?

10. Tony Plachy

I will have to check the early Kinks, but I am sure the later ones are stereo.

11. peter

peter Senior Member

I would be interested as to how these compare with the 1981 UK black/white Pye label re-issues and the UK Castle 1999 LP re-issues.

The Castles were about $28.00 each; the Pyes I bought mostly new in 1981, so I am disinclined to get these unless I hear otherwise.

FYI, on the Pyes, the first four (Kinks, Kinda, Kontro. & Face) were mono while Something & Kelvin were stereo. The Castles were all mono, except for Lola (and Village, which was released a few years earlier as part of a separate re-issue series). Result? No mono Village!!!!! Now, if Earmaerk does that....................

12. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Won't bother me; I want the stereo. I was so irritated when the Castle reissue CD put *most* of "Village Green" in stereo after the mono album! They didn't put all of it because the idea was to reproduce the Swedish issue of the album. Not an important achievement, I think.

I've ordered Earmark's "Something Else", which Red Trumpet tells me is stereo.

13. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Re: Re: 180 gram vinyl Kinks reissues from Earmark

Last Saturday (May 17), Rick Flynn of Red Trumpet cracked one Earmark Kinks' LP open and played it for me while I was on the phone...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

His response: "...so silent I thought the pre-amp was not on...".

BC

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Interesting thread (that I finally read). I just spotted Earmark's version of Parlament's Osmium.

Hope it's still there tomorrow.....

15. stever

stever Senior Member

I picked up, Something Else" -- excellent! Now I'm trying to get a hold of Village Green.

16. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Has Village Green been announced?
    I'm waiting for Village and Arthur.
    I don't see these listed yet.

BC

17. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

I now have Earmark's "Something Else" in front of me (haven't heard it yet). The mastering credit is to Simon Heyworth of "Chop 'Em Out" -- the fella who remastered most of the Castle CDs of 1998. In fact there's a copyright date of 1998 on the LP.

Yet Earmark's PR says the issues are all-analog. Furthermore, the Castle CD of "Something Else" was mono, and this is stereo ... :confused:

Remains to be heard -- but it's not a good omen that the Castle CD master is involved.

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Chop 'Em Out?

God, no.....

19. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

I know ... is that name supposed to be self-deprecating? (or merely honest?) Their website doesn't seem to be responding:

www.chopemout.co.uk

20. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Castle Something Else LP was mono too......

Eagerly awaiting your opinions lil.fred....or as George Harrison put it in one of his most underrated songs..."Don't Let Me Wait Too Long".;)

BC

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Every thing they ever did for us was no-noised to death. I asked them to CUT IT OUT. They told me it was hard wired into their system and they couldn't undo it. I hate those guys. I wouldn't buy anything that had their name on it! Sheesh...

22. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Steve does this refer to the 10CC/Sheet Music twofer that you did for DCC?

23. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Most, maybe even all, the King Crimson remasters were done at Chop 'Em Out by Robert Fripp with Simon Heyworth. One exception is USA, which was done at Sanctuary Mastering. I don't know...I thought these sounded quite good, at least compared to the old CDs. I don't have any vinyl to compare to.

24. JWB

JWB New Member

Everything I've ever heard from "Chop 'em Out" made my ears bleed.

The 12-track stereo "Village Green" is taken from a vinyl test pressing, even though most of the same mixes are available from a tape source. :rolleyes:

25. stever

stever Senior Member

Once again, this forum has saved me some money. I purchased, "Something Else," because I'll never be able to get a decent vinyl copy of it, but I won't buy any more of this company's vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.