What's the "must have" cd of Pink Floyd's "The Wall"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by roboss38, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Joshua Tree thread from early today made me think of this. I like the Mofi & UK copies I have. What does everyone else think?

2. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Without having heard the MoFi, I give the nod to the old Harvest BlackFace Made in Japan.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The blackface Harvest for the UK smokes the MFSL.

The MFSL is ok, but it's VERY flabby with not as much definition. I've had the MFSL since it came out (I saved my college book money for it and got lucky) and thought it was awesome until I got a copy of the original UK CD.

It's really, really that good.

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Another vote for the Japan Harvest Blackface CD.

Evan

5. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I love my 48DP Japan pressing..

Whats the general thought on the Japan vs. WG blackface?

6. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Haven't heard it, but if the WG Blackface follows suit with the other WG Blackface Floyds then it's identical to the Harvest Silverfaces. I have a Silverface Swindon and it's a bit louder but quite similar to the Japan Blackface.

Re the Japan Blackface: Some might say it's a bit muffled compared to the much lauded C2K, but if you really listen to the it, it's all there! Only in a slightly more pleasant way, IMO. (And it doesn't have that horrible CLICK!)

7. leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch New Member

I like my Blackface Harvest and my Japan 48DP and also the C2K. It really depends on my mood as to which one I like the best. I have yet to hear the much lauded 50 DP.

8. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

The 50 DP smokes everything.

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The MoFi is a bit scooped out in the mids and boosted on the top and bottom.

10. leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch New Member

I also think the MOFI sounds bad!

11. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I sold mine when the MFSL came out because it was louder...

12. My favorite versions are the Blackface Harvest CD's. I prefer the West Germany blackface over the Japan blackface, but only very slightly.

Alex00 likes this.
  13. progmog

progmog Senior Member

You mean the one that's identical to the 48DP second pressing AND has the annoying digital 'click' in 'Comfortably Numb'? :rolleyes:

Plenty of threads on this one, but I agree with Roland, the Harvest pressings are the way to go - the West German, the UK or the Japan. Any of these will do.

14. Daken

Daken Forum Resident

While we're talking about The Wall, can anybody tell me which version of the DVD is the better buy? I used to borrow my brother's original DVD (the one with the face on the front cover), which had 5.1 sound, commentary by Waters and Parker, and the deleted music video of "Hey You." I enjoyed this version, but have recently seen a remastered version released in time to honor the 25th anniversary. Does anyone happen to know if this version is any better? I'd like to know if it's any better in terms of audio and visual, and if it has the same special features.

15. AdmiralHalsey

AdmiralHalsey New Member

Heard a long time ago that the laserdisc version offered superior sound and inferior visuals. I know that didn't help at all... anyway ...

16. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

I gave my girlfriend a sealed C2K...I don't really like it that much (and the skip on CN always gets me). I usually listen to the MFSL (!) or the Sax remaster.

17. Both are the exact same disc. The 25th Ann. edition was just a repackaging(though I admit it's snazzy packaging) of the original dvd.

18. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I love my 48DP, it is truly incredible, however I have never heard any of the Harvests. My guess is you can't go wrong with either. It's nice to have so many good CD options on this great album.

Rick

George P likes this.
  19. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

A seventy five dollar bottle of bourbon, and a used copy of whatever I can find!!

proedros and mdm08033 like this.
  20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

You just described Fumi's avatar. :laugh:

21. Fit_like_min?

Fit_like_min? Forum Resident

I just recieved a Japanese Harvest Blackface in the post today, just to compare it to my West German Harvest Blackface.
    After listening to them both, I prefer the West German one slightly better. The Japanese version is still very good though. Save your money and buy one of these instead of the Mo Fi. One on Ebay went for $30 last week. A lot better than the prices for Mo Fi

22. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

west german is my fav on digital.

Alex00 likes this.
  23. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was able to get my hands on a C2k and I'm pretty impressed with the sound. I going to do a side by side comparison between the C2K and Mofi for a better understanding of the differences. I appreciate everyone's suggestions on this one.

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Nobody got my Fumi's avatar joke? Buncha matrix number geeks! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.