Musical Fidelity's Tube Buffer: Listening test #1.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jamie Tate, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

I thought we'd have some fun.

I ran a song through Musical Fidelity's tube buffer just to hear the difference. I posted a clip of the before and after to let you decide which is which.

There are two halves in this WAV (13 MB) file. One half is D/A to A/D (CD player to CD recorder using Grover cables). The other half is through the same chain with the tube buffer between the converters.

The song is from the DCC CD of Gerry Rafferty's "City to City" album.

So, the question is which one is through the tube buffer?

SOUND CLIP

Good luck! :)

2. MusicMtnMonkey

MusicMtnMonkey New Member

This is fun!

They are pretty darn close together, but I am guess first track is CD to CD and the second track is using the tube buffer. I hope we get some more guesses before it's revealed!

3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I think it's the first one that's through the tube buffer. It sounds warmer and not as "crisp" as the second.

4. Duggeh

Duggeh Forum Resident

After a few passes I can't tell the difference. If I'm going to look that hard for one, I'd rather have what the tube buffer cost in CDs.

I'll give it a more intent listen for a bit, see if anythign appears, I'm unfamiliar with the artist and the music.

5. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

The two halves definitely sound different. in the first section the cymbals sound down in level, while Raffety's voice is a touch muffled, as if he's holding his hands in front of his mouth. The second clip has a better voice and is crisper overall. I've never played with the MF tube buffer but if it is supposed to make the sound more old-school tubey, then the MF would be on the first section.

This is just using the speakers built into my iMac.

6. scotto

scotto Senior Member

There should be a third choice for, "My computer's speakers are too crappy for me to tell any difference."

7. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

I'd say the second half sounds a touch more liquid, so I'm voting it had the tube buffer.

Can't wait to see how wrong I am... :laugh:

8. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

:wave: :laugh:

9. I don't know which is which, but clip 2 sounds "better" to me, at least in terms of detail--more HF sparkle to the cymbals, better clarity to the voice, more "air" around the voice. However, clip 1 sounds like it has better pace, and is more "musical," if less precise.

10. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Which stage do you have? The original one in the weird cylinder enclosure which used 6DJ8/6922/7308 tubes, or the latest one that uses 6112s?

11. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

I honestly couldn't hear a difference on my PC speakers but I did veiw the wav sample in Audition and noticed that the second half contained a clipped sample. I would think that this was the result of the tube buffer being in the chain.

12. Showing my ignorance, what is a tube buffer supposed to do? To my ears, the second half is brighter, and the instruments sound more independent of each other, so if a tube buffer makes things brighter and more differentiated, then that's where it is (and vice versa if its absence makes things sound less bright/less differentiated).

And based on the sound reproduced from my crappy PC speakers :)

13. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Thanks for letting me participate in the democratic process.

14. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

The 2nd sample sounds a little rounder to me for lack of a better term. So I would guess the tubes were used on sample 2.

15. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The output of the tube buffer is a bit higher voltage than standard line level (2.2V vs. 2V IIRC) therefore a bit louder so I hope you took that into account. The computer I'm on doesn't have speakers otherwise I'd chime in on the sound!

16. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

My computer "reference system" isn't the greatest but I could hear a difference. After about three runs through and listening to what sounded like some distortion in both tracks, the second track sounded cleaner and higher resolution, so I am guessing that the second track is the original and the first track was the buffered track. I don't guess that it is a very good way to test it since it was only one short track and done on a PC but it does seem like a few others are hearing something similar.
    -Bill

17. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

I'm not sure what the MF tube buffer is supposed to do to the sound in terms of character, but put me down as someone who finds the first clip warmer and rounder...more musical. Also, just to clarify Jamie, did you say that the non-buffer clip was done analog out>analog in (obviously the buffer one was) vs. a straight digital rip (i.e. a DAE)? If so, I'd be interested in hearing how a straight digital extraction stacks up against the two, as a sort of "tonal control" (and bypassing any D/A, A/D).

If it's not possible at the moment...no biggie though. :)

18. Jamie Tate

I did. The output of the tube buffer was 1.6dB louder so I made sure both clips were the same loudness.

And I have the X-10 v3 tube buffer which is the latest version.

19. hukkfinn

hukkfinn Senior Member

It seems to me that the more revealing, more interesing way to vote here would be, "which clip sounds BETTER!?"

I think clip 2 sounds better.

Hukk

20. hukkfinn

hukkfinn Senior Member

Hmmmm... still think the sonics are better on 2, HOWEVER, the band's rhythm is hanging together better on clip 1.

There's just no pleasing some people!

21. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Unfortunately I can't tell over my crappy computer speakers at work, nor can I turn it up enough. I'll have to try from home later. Good thread, I've been thinking about getting a tube buffer recently!

22. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

They sound pretty close to me, but what the heck... the second clip is the tubey thingy!

Listening via my laptop using Sennheiser 560 and Grado 125.

23. There seems to be a little more sizzle to the cymbals and boom to the bass in clip 2, so I'm guessing that's the tube buffer.

24. Jamie Tate

You're cheating. :laugh: Be warned though, I don't have any volume controls on my converters so that may not have been from the tubes. :)

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Jamie, i'll have to get back to this later. I'm out of town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.